UKC

Garmin 620 users

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 11 Dec 2013
UPS tracking tell me that there going to deliver my Garmin 620 today.

Was in a real quandary as to wether or not I should buy it as my current Garmin 610 is a fantastic running watch. Most of the new features in the 620 aren't of much practical use to me i.e Run Dynamics and built-in foot pod.

The 2 real game changers for me are the connectivity via WiFi and BTS and to a lesser extent the proper waterproofing. Being able to offload to my phone and onto GarminConnect without need for a computer is just fantastic

I'd be really interested in hearing the thoughts from anyone that has both a 610 and 620.
 yorkshireman 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Antigua:

I've got my eye on it and am tempted, although with the new firmware update to the Fenix I might sway that way (I do a lot more trail/ultra running).

The biggest thing for me on the 620 is the caching of satellite locations. I just hope this becomes standard across all devices pretty quickly.

Would be interested to hear you experiences of it after week or so of playing with it.
 andy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

What're the changes to the Fenix firmware? I've got one sat on a shelf - using an Ambit2 at the moment but will probably go to the 620 as a "normal" everyday watch and keep my Fenix for ski touring etc.
Antigua 11 Dec 2013

> I've got my eye on it and am tempted, although with the new firmware update to the Fenix I might sway that way (I do a lot more trail/ultra running).

Have a Fenix myself but as a running watch I think it falls far short of the Forerunner range. Obviously the longer battery life would be crucial in Ultra's but apart from that I would never recommend it as a running watch more an ABC watch with some running features tacked on. My view anyway.

From memory the Firmware update added support for workouts and intervals.
 andy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Antigua: I originally got the Ambit as a "do everything" device - to record runs, rides, ski tours and also to wear as an everyday watch. I like to wear my running watch every day, just because I used to forever forget it and have to record my runs using my phone.

But I think I've decided that the "do everything" device hasn't been developed yet - so I think I'm going to use 620 for running and telling the time (it's a lot smaller than the Ambit2), my Edge for bike rides and my Fenix for skiing. I'd use the Fenix for everything except biking if it wasn't so enormous and have that huge orange button on it!

yorkshireman 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

> What're the changes to the Fenix firmware?

In depth report here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/firmware-beginning-becoming.html

In reply to: Antigua
> Have a Fenix myself but as a running watch I think it falls far short of the Forerunner range. Obviously the longer battery life would be crucial in Ultra's but apart from that I would never recommend it as a running watch more an ABC watch with some running features tacked on. My view anyway.

Yes, this is what I've heard. However I've used a FR405 for years and I don't really muck around with workout/run-specific stuff. I like to just go out on the trails and record what I've done, and maybe watch my average pace during a race. ABC functionality and enhanced battery life are more of a bonus for me especially for more general mountain activities.

Anyway, I'm going to hold off a few months as the FR405 still works fine and I've got other stuff I need to blow my money on so will continue to mull it over.
 andy 11 Dec 2013
Cheers - that iOS alert thing's really interesting - hope they can add that to the 620 as well.
Antigua 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:
> I originally got the Ambit as a "do everything" device - to record runs, rides, ski tours and also to wear as an everyday watch.

In an ideal (Garmin centric) world we'd all have a 620 for running, a Fenix for ABC stuff and an Edge 810 for cycling while recording it all on (multiple) VIRB Elite's but in the real world thats not realistic for 99.9% of us.

The vast majority of the GPS stuff I do is running so it makes sense to focus resources on that. I haven't seen a 620 yet but don't feel safe in using it as a day to day watch. My 610 got an almighty crack/chip on the face after contact with a wall. It got replaced no questions asked under warranty thankfully. Use the Fenix now but find its bulk annoying especially when trying to retrieve it from under a sleeve.

I doubt we'll see a do it all device as its much more profitable for companies to segment the market.

Anyway just got a message from UPS.....

Delivered On:
Wednesday, 12/11/2013 at 9:16 A.M.

BTW as per Alerts above. Seriously hope they don't come to the 620.... can imagine every 30 seconds getting an alert "Where are you?" "When are you coming home?" I do love the wife and in no way go running to get out of the house
Post edited at 09:57
 andy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Antigua: My 620 left Wiggle last Friday, but it appears Royal Mail have "misrouted" it...

Antigua 11 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

Send it back and buy it from Garmin the 30% discount is back today again. Only 15% at Wiggle

andy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Antigua:

> Send it back and buy it from Garmin the 30% discount is back today again. Only 15% at Wiggle

Good call - I was paying £316 from Wiggle - £252 from Garmin. Cheers!!
Antigua 15 Dec 2013
> Would be interested to hear you experiences of it after week or so of playing with it.

Well, not had much time to really give it a good going over but initial impressions are mixed.

Satellite data caching is amazingly quick to get a lock. WiFi only works with home setups so the million and one free public wireless hotspots are a no go area which is disappointing. BTS not currently working with Android. Originally thought it felt cheap and plasticy but its a much nicer and more comfortable watch to wear than the 610. Interface feels a bit more intuitive than previous Forerunners but still not fantastic. Noticed on the Garmin 620 forums that users are having GPS accuracy issues which Garmin have now officially acknowledged and are working on a fix. Not had anything horrendous on my current 3 runs.

If I was completely honest I'd say that a discounted 610 would be the better buy. Maybe after I've had the 620 longer that might change but theres nothing in the 620 that merits the much higher price. Caching is nice but it only saves 20-30 seconds... big deal. Run Dynamics makes a nice pattern on GarminConnect but has very little practical use in the real world. The 50m water proofing again is nice but I feel that the 620 is too fragile to use as a daily watch so that stat is academic.
Post edited at 10:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...