UKC

Buffy - how good are Later Series?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 11 Dec 2013
My 16 year old Daughter has recently got into reading Buffy books, and watching the first Series.

I watched first couple of Series and Thought it was ok to be honest.

Looked it up on IMDB, it ran to 7 Series. Im considering getting said daughter complete Buffy box set as a gift.

My Question is, do all 7 Series hold up well, or does it deteriorate?
 Alyson 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

They are all good. 7 is probably my least favourite but by that point you're completely invested in her story and at least it gets a resolution and didn't get cancelled (like Angel, the spin off, which was cut short).

There are stunning episodes in the later series. The episode The Body is one of the finest pieces of tv you'll ever see.
paulcarey 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Alyson:
Not forgetting the musical episode either!

I was persuaded to watch it and thought the first season was ok but it really does get better and better. So I was completely hooked after 2 seasons....

Alyson 11 Dec 2013
In reply to paulcarey:

> Not forgetting the musical episode either!

Of course! And Hush in season 4 which is proper creepy. I think The Gentlemen were the ultimate Buffy monsters
OP Choss 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Alyson:

> They are all good.

Are you sure Alyson? I Remember an Episode with an awful werewolf, Which Looked like the costume and effects departments had Spent the Entire episodes Budget on Crack.
 zebidee 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Of course it has the usual filler episodes which American shows seem to need to bump the numbers up as opposed to the UK's short but very sweet approach.

SWMBO has the box set - wasted a lot of evenings getting through them rather enjoyably.
 mattrm 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

They're all good, buy the whole lot. The last few episodes are particularly good. As others have noted there are some excellent episodes later on.

Also, it's still going, there have been 8 (iirc) graphic novels now.
 Ushuaia 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Good. Easy watching. consitently decent - then season 7 is followed on by Graphic Novels

consider a netflix subscription: 7 Seasons of Buffy Available! at £6 a month, if she doesn't like the show you can just unsubscribe ( or she can start watching breaking bad/heroes/modern family/arrested development/ etc/etc/etc/)

OP Choss 11 Dec 2013
In reply to alexanderjwatts:

> Good. Easy watching. consitently decent - then season 7 is followed on by Graphic Novels

> consider a netflix subscription:

Ooh no. I still use DVDs and VHS.

It has to be good watching because ill be made to watch it in evenings when shes Down.

zebidee 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Oh and ... Evil Willow ... mmm.
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2013
Just get her the 1992 film! It has Rutger Hauer in it. And Hilary Swank! AND Seth Green

zebidee 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Just get her the 1992 film! It has Rutger Hauer in it. And Hilary Swank! AND Seth Green

... and TV's Luke Perry.
 Mike_d78 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

We loved the series so much that we named number 2 daughter Willow, true to form she is a little witch
OP Choss 11 Dec 2013
In reply to mikedelderfield:

> We loved the series so much that we named number 2 daughter Willow, true to form she is a little witch

Coincidentally, my Daughter is also called Willow. Nothing to do with Buffy, or that Warwick Davis film for that Matter. just a Nice name we liked.
 the sheep 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Enjoyed all the seiries, can highly recomend it.
 Al Evans 12 Dec 2013
In reply to the sheep:

Buffy was great, I once met Alyson Hannigan and immediately had a crush on her though I was in my 40's.

"Alyson Hannigan was the last of the original six to be cast. Following her role in My Stepmother Is an Alien,[39] she appeared in commercials and supporting roles on television shows throughout the early 1990s.[39] In 1996, the role of Willow Rosenberg was initially played by Riff Regan for the unaired Buffy pilot, but Hannigan auditioned when the role was being recast for the series proper. Hannigan described her approach to the character through Willow's reaction to a particular moment: Willow sadly tells Buffy that her Barbie doll was taken from her as a child. Buffy asks her if she ever got it back. Willow's line was to reply "most of it." Hannigan decided on an upbeat and happy delivery of the line "most of it," as opposed to a sad, depressed delivery. Hannigan figured Willow would be happy and proud that she got "most of it" back. That indicated how she was going to play the rest of the scene, and the role, for that matter, and defined the character.[40] Her approach subsequently got her the role."

It was one of the great long running American TV series, sadly I never met Sarah
 Muel 13 Dec 2013
I started watching Buffy when I was about 9/10, been thoroughly in love with Willow ever since. I felt the final series lacked a bit of something, but the previous 6 were all awesome. I find it very impressive that they managed to keep the quality so consistent for so long, only Breaking Bad has managed to better that IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...