UKC

ElCap in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 madguernseyboy 11 Dec 2013
Hi all.

I am looking at making a trip to climb a big wall next year.
has anyone got any experience with doing this in October? is the weather still suitable?

thanks
Brendan
 GridNorth 11 Dec 2013
In reply to madguernseyboy:

I attempted the Salathe some years ago in October, can't remember the year but probably the late 90's. They were having a heatwave and everyone we spoke to had run out of water, as we did, before getting half way up it but I think that normally it is OK. We spent 50% of our time in Tuolome Meadows where the temperature was perfect.
 Fredt 11 Dec 2013

I think its generally the best month. It is usually cooler, without the problem of spring meltwater or summer heat. The only risk is with quick storms, though these rarely last long.
Thanks all.

I wanted to climb in June or September but dont think I will be able to due to work.

you have been a good help.

brendan
 jon 12 Dec 2013

Normally perfect!
Russ Walling 13 Dec 2013

Oct might be the best time. But, that first big storm of the year usually rolls in right around then and catches them all with their knickers down. Day one climbing in "vests" as you lads call it, and by day 4 you are hypothermic. Can happen in late September too, so always get a long range forecast.
 Enty 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Russ Walling:
Aye - that's me - perfect 7 day forecast then caught in a storm on day 3 at Camp 6 on The Nose. Shivvered uncontrollably for 6 hours through the night but soon thawed out on the first pitches next day.

To the OP - If it is The Nose or any other big classic you intend to do you'll need to be on the ball in getting pitches fixed and joining the queue.
It can be a bit off putting seeing team after team fixing ropes to Sickle Ledge then slowly working their way up the Stovelegs but remember 3/4 of them will have bailed by the next day.
Other than that October is ace.

E
Post edited at 06:52
 JossGuyer 17 Dec 2013

as are me and my mate, http://thenoseinone.blogspot.co.uk/ we are slowly discovering things to get, what to acquire when to go etc!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...