UKC

"The worst winter storms in recorded history"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrisa87 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

I'm thinking they only publish these weather/Armageddon articles for the advertising revenue. Hopefully or it's a very strange satirical series.
In reply to Only a hill:

A bit over the top - however, have you looked at ECMWF Deterministic forecast charts for next 10 days? Not looking too good.
 Chris the Tall 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Quite bizarre really, but the list of related articles is hilarious, just shows how often they make these dire predictions

E.G.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444385/Long-range-UK-weather-forecast-warn...

which is probably based on the premise that temperatures will be below annual average for the next 6 months !
 Mr Fuller 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
I went to a meeting with the royal meteorological society on Tuesday and asked specifically about the Daily Express's weather headlines. They answered that anything written by Jonathan Powell is probably false. He is a forecaster who's company, Vantage Weather Services, sells false information to the Daily Express for vast sums of money and he has been discredited by most other meteorologists. His last company went bust when it was found to have numerous staff listed on their website that did not exist and he was using stock internet photos for their staff profiles! Good to see that the 'weather forecaster' quoted here is Jonathan Powell...

In other words, completely ignore all of their headlines. The RMS also stressed that the Mail are as bad.

(Gutted - I wish the headline were true too...)
Post edited at 17:39
 Billhook 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Didn't we have another forecast by the Express a posted on here a few months ago announcing that November was going to be the coldest ever with lots of snow?
In reply to Only a hill:

I predict that, in the near future, there will be wind/snow/rain/sleet/freezing temperatures (delete appropriate).
 Pay Attention 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

Maybe this was what you were thinking of

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=568981&v=1#x7569201

the Express is the paper to read for extreme weather predictions. I meant to keep a tally for this winter. I think we've had 4 "Polar Plunge" front page headlines since October. Perhaps you remember the abnormal heat wave that was predicted for October?
 wintertree 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

The express article may be based on the usual source of nonsense, but the GFS has some ensemble models with very, very low air pressure on Dec 26th, matching or exceeding the great storm of 87. There is wide variation in the predictions, but it's worth keeping a wary eye on it.
 Fat Bumbly2 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Pay attention: Gives us a break from poor old Diana, I suppose.

kemmar 12 Dec 2013
In reply to chrisa87:

The Express have freely revealed that circulation goes up by 10% every time the front page proclaims an alarming weather forecast. Hence the grimmer and grimmer get the headlines i suppose.
 Chris the Tall 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Gives us a break from poor old Diana, I suppose.

I believe that last Friday they hit the double, with both storms and Diana on the front page.
I suppose it was a slow news day, merely some old guy dying half a world away
 balmybaldwin 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Isnt it about time something was done about this paper's constant fear mongering?

aln 13 Dec 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Isnt it about time something was done about this paper's constant fear mongering?

Isn't it about time something was done about UKc'rs constant moaning about paper's?
Especially those they never read but seem to know so much about.
 TobyA 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

It actually has been pretty bad where I live http://yle.fi/uutiset/storm_brings_near-record_high_winds/6982983 near record windspeeds. I woke up at 4 am this morning when I heard a big bang but couldn't work out what had made it. Winds slackening a bit now, but still a bit worried that I have cycle 30 kms in a couple of hours!
Chesher cat 13 Dec 2013
Found this though a wee bit old. Made me smile though.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-expr...

The Daily Hate Mail and Express are always a good laugh to read.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

It sells papers. And drives lots of traffic to their website via threads like this!
johnj 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Indeed, they can even leave the YTS guy in charge for the day and go do the pub, as folk doing the marketing for them for nowt as each click generates cash.
 ericinbristol 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Have a look at the Vantage Weather Solutions website: http://vantageweatherservices.co.uk/

Laughably crap
 ericinbristol 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

"Vantage Weather Services
VWS is one of the few forecasters to cast serious doubt over the whole issue of climate change and its twin guise of global warming. As from the outset when the media first became seriously interested in the issue several years ago, our stance remains firm with the belief that firstly, it is all cyclical and not one progressive trend towards an eventuality, and secondly, that the evidence provided remains inconclusive."

Oh dear.
 pebbles 13 Dec 2013
In reply to kemmar:

> The Express have freely revealed that circulation goes up by 10% every time the front page proclaims an alarming weather forecast.

and most of their readership probably cant remember what they had for tea the day before, let alone whether the express was right or wrong about its last few apocalyptic forecasts
 kemmar 13 Dec 2013
In reply to pebbles:

Selective memory at work, to put it kindly. Its noticeable too that theres usually an advert for water boiler insurance, or similar, not far from the doom headline.
 Northern Man 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

If it is in the Express the storms will be from the extreme right of our country veering to the outrageous! Which reminds me I must get some more toilet paper. Merry Christmas all you Express readers ho ho ho.
 Blizzard 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

What a great story! Something to look forward to then
 malk 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

you gonna eat your hat?
 Trangia 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

According to the Weathermen it's all America's fault
 Trevers 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

"Nathan giggled as he held his Christmas present, a weather forecasting machine from Jonathan Powell. It was a curious 6-sided block with numbers on it which Jonathan rolled across the floor. Nathan remembered his wise words "A 1 or a 2 is apocalyptic snow, 3 or 4 is apocalyptic rain and 5 or 6 is apocalyptic sun/heatwave. Obviously I also quickly glance out of the window too". Nathan shivered. He liked Uncle Jonathan but he didn't like it when he touched him with one of his webbed claws. Jonathan's big vertically opening oily eyes also scared him. Nathan rolled the cube. A 6! Apocalyptic heatwave in January! He carefully put it back on the shelf where he kept his special things and took out his box of crayons to write his latest weather report....."

-Comment on the Express website on one of the Apocalypse news stories.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...