UKC

New photocard driving license...hiring cars abroad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 14 Dec 2013
Possibly exceptionally dozy question here, but as the proud new owner (yes, finally...) of a new photocard license, has anyone ever been asked to produce the paper bit when hiring cars overseas? Obviously I'd rather not travel with this, but equally don't want to be caught out by some over-zealous hire car office. I would imagine not, as continental Europe especially seems not to have bothered with paper licenses for years, so I would imagine might not even know there's a paper bit?
Jim C 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:
I'm holding on to my pink paper one, I believe you need to pay for the new ones , and it is against my principles to pay for things I don't need to.
 splat2million 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:
I've hired cars in Jordan and in Slovenia in the past year. Both hire agreements stated I needed to have the paper part of the licence. However, when I forgot to take mine to Jordan it was not checked and I got away with it. In Slovenia I presented it without prompting so not sure if I'd have been ok without it.
Personally I'd take the paper part with me unless I had it in writing from the car-hire that it wasn't necessary. While you may well get away without it, it'd be a massive faff to not be able to hire a car when you planned to.
johnj 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

I kept my paper one until I moved home then its free

to OP if you've got to travel with credit cards, passport, phone, laptop, etc, is it worth leaving a slip of paper at home on a off chance!
 Rick Graham 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Mines green.

And covered in old melted margarine from a food storage accident in a very hot tent.

Never gets looked at too closely at the car hire desk, they don't usually appear keen to touch it.
 balmybaldwin 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I was asked for mine in Scotland
 KTC 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I quite frequently hire cars in Europe, mostly Belgium. This year I've used Avis, europcar, and sixt. I've never carried my paper bit and it's never been asked for. If they reaaaally want to check the points on your licence, they can phone up the dvla.
 Tom Valentine 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
Same here. They usually raise their eyes a bit and this must be some sort of signage for "Rosbifs" or whatever.

Hairy Pete 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to Nic)
> I'm holding on to my pink paper one, I believe you need to pay for the new ones , and it is against my principles to pay for things I don't need to.
+1
Although, I believe the change will be forced upon us in 2014.
 climbingpixie 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I've hired cars in France, Spain and Norway at not once has anyone asked to see the paper part to my licence. I still take it just in case though.
 splat2million 14 Dec 2013
In reply to splat2million:

Actually I just remembered the one place that insisted on seeing my paper licence was in the UK (when my car was in the garage) at Europcar in Sheffield. Because I didn't have it, it cost extra for them to phone the DVLA to check the points.
In reply to Nic:

Hired cars in Canada, America and all over Europe. Only place you need the paper bit is UK and Ireland, although the nice Irish women let me off.
 TonyB 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I've also hired cars in Finland, Spain, Italy and Malta without having to show it. Although you need to present it when hiring in the UK.
 alexcollins123 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

Hired in Eastern and Western Europe a few times and never had to show it.
Jim C 14 Dec 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I was asked for mine in Scotland

I live in Scotland, and used my pink paper one to hire a car (Audi A6 ) in Germany, no problem .
 argyle_dude 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

Hired a car in the states, the agreement stated you needed the paper part but when I took it to the office when I went to collect the car I handed it to the chap who looked slightly confused and asked what it was.
 IanC 15 Dec 2013
In reply to argyle_dude:

Same experience in the US, The owner of the franchise asked me to talk him though the form, to find out what it was for.
 Trangia 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I've never been asked for it having hired cars throughout Mainland Europe, Southern Africa, Iceland, Malta, and the USA.

But I always get asked to produce it when hiring in the UK.

I always take it with me though because it would be sod's law that if I didn't I'd be asked. So my advice would be take it in case - its no big deal and I've folded mine up so that it lives in my wallet along with the plastic part.

ewar woowar 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

> +1

> Although, I believe the change will be forced upon us in 2014.

It is compulsory to have a Photocard License from 2033.
 pog100 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Nic:

I've never been asked but isn't it the case that you are supposed to carry both halves just for driving in Europe. I.e. you don't have the 5 days of grace and should have all paperwork?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...