UKC

Longwood Tower Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 14 Dec 2013
Visited this obscure venue near Huddersfield with Rick G on a damp day last weekend and it could do with a good tidy up. Lots of litter, some branches need a prune and it would be good to clear some of the Rhododendrons before they take over. Some of the lines and/or grades from the Kirklees site looked odd. Also went to Netherton Edge: stonking little place.
 DerwentDiluted 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Netherton is a lovely little venue, some great problems.
OP Offwidth 15 Dec 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
Sure is but lets hope this isn't another conversation just between the two of us again. I was impressed how fast it dried after rain at this time of year. Nothing at Longwood was dry.
Post edited at 11:06
 DerwentDiluted 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
It never ceases to amaze me how unimaginative a lot of people seem to be. The quality of modern guides is so good that there really is no excuse for not just trying somewhere new. Some venues are creaking under the weight of use while at others real quality is lost to the vegetation. I think an important arguement for places like horseshoe is that it accommodates the growing numbers of climbers and a day spent there is a days use less at somewhere like Stanage. But there are a plethora of venues classed as being of 'local interest', surely there's no such thing, a neat problem is a neat problem.
Post edited at 17:27
OP Offwidth 15 Dec 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

just the two of us, we can make it if we try, just the two of us......

Its a great spot and good at this time of year at lower grades and 10 minutes or so from a biggish place: not so many places like that, so yes the unimaginative are odd at times. Maybe the Huddersfield crew will be along soon to tell us its normally rammed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...