UKC

Climbing goals 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 17 Dec 2013
Following on From how was 2013 for you thread.

What Climbing plans or ambitions do you have for 2014? Anything you hope to Achieve Climbing wise next year? A Climb or Grade you hope to achieve? Or a Long Sought after crag or Summit you hope to Finally get to? Big or small goals? Grandiose or humble?

I just plan to overcome my inertia and get out more. And bumble my way Round some sea stacks.

I would also Like to continue collecting Welsh 2000s.
Parrys_apprentice 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I aim simply to climb more than twice.

fire_munki 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

It's easy, and most likely laughable as many people lead it with a year or so, but I really want to get leading S and maybe HS.

That and 2nd at Baggy point and some sea cliffs.
OP Choss 17 Dec 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

Nothing Laughable about that. Im a Proud bumbly, or punter, as the yoof call it.

Good luck with that next year.
 JimboWizbo 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

A few at E3 6a, and at least one big (14pitch+) multipitch in Europe, even if it's easy and bolted.
 lone 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

To complete a Mod and Diff down Wintours Leap this spring, also to climb on Tryfan for the first time, perhaps one of the easier lines

Jase
SethChili 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

To transition from top roping and bouldering indoors to seconding outdoors .
I'm a scrambler , so all the ropes and gear have put me off in the past ..I still can't get my head around basic stuff like abseiling ( don't you have to leave expensive kit behind ?)
 johncook 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

My BHAG is to climb well into the E's
2014?
I aim to get consistent on E1
I aim to spend 6 weeks in America and clear up the 20+ routes of 5.9 or higher that are on my hit list.
I aim to lead 7a+ indoors
I intend to stay alive and not injure myself too much whilst doing all of these!
 cfer 17 Dec 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

Not laughable at all, only been doing Trad myself for 3 years, been out 4-5 times this year and my aim is to consolidate at HS
 maybe_si 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

8a
 JonLongshanks 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Indoors, transition into the 7s
Outdoors, get lots of rock miles! and do some classic multiptiches.
 Steve nevers 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Stop bouldering so much and lead more.
Try to get into Indoor sport and actually enjoy it rather than avoiding it.
Finish off the SPA.
Revisit the seacliffs in my home county.
Beat my mate to the FA of a bouldering problem purely so he doesn't name it after another bloody death metal song.
Climb that E3 again, but with a rope this time, and being aware its not actually the HVS next to it. (Massive guidebook reading failure.)
 Blue Straggler 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

> Beat my mate to the FA of a bouldering problem purely so he doesn't name it after another bloody death metal song.

Now THAT is ethical motivation - a real case of doing something for the right reasons
 teflonpete 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Actually go climbing!

I want to do one of the long Tryfan routes, Walk the Welsh 3000s (not in 24 hrs), trip to Pembroke, Gower, Cornwall and North Devon and punter around on some VS and below stuff with my girlyburd. And some whitewater kayaking. :0)
 John_Hat 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

An E5 Redpoint and 300-routes-in-a-day would make me very happy.

Different days, naturally.
 Puppythedog 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:
My year was going very well until I moved to Colchester so my goals for this year reflect the impact that that had on my life.

I want to climb regularly. For me this would be a couple of times indoors every week or more.
Climb outdoors at leats one full weekend every month with an extra mini-break here and there.
Climb my first Scottish Winter line (got a trip planned in February).

With these in mind my objectives and hopes would be get back to top 6s and early 7s indoors or more.
Climb in the seventh grade on Sport
Climb an E4 onsight (only one E3 last year and struggling with E25C but I have managed to increase my maximum grade every year for the past four years from HVS year one to E3 last year)
Get back to and consolidate E2 with 5c being reasonable expectable.
Boulder some more outside, maybe take MrsTheDog away for weekends but sneak in a bit of a boulder)

Make new climbing friends.

Oh and on a less grade oriented level I want to climb som of the big easy routes on the slabs in North Wales and some lovely easy classics in the Lakes and on the coast.
Post edited at 16:42
 Owen W-G 17 Dec 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Get some E3s led. More than one to prove its no fluke.
Same goal for about 8ys now.

Goal 2 - get to Scotland. Diabag in particular I want to go to.
 Puppythedog 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

I'll not be risky, the E3 really suited me and it's only if I find one that I like that I'd go for it. I'm thinking Chalkstorm. It's not a serious endeavour and I don't count it as the grade I can climb just an interseting bit of fun.

Good luck with your Goals Owen.
johnj 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

To Keep climbing, get to a few new places, maybe push my grade a bit, and stay safe, and meet a few more folk on the way
 Niels 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Boulder 8A, same as last year. That and get some more highballing/soloing done, maybe even a bit of trad. Other than that, just take it as it comes.
 The Pylon King 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

climb a Gritstone route in the Mendips
OP Choss 17 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

> climb a Gritstone route in the Mendips

So thats where the Moyers buttress block went. Youre building a mendip grit crag.
 Heike 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Climb as much as possible! Several days a week! That's all!

I can't top 2013 as I had a 14 week trip climbing and that was absolutely ace, but probably won't happen for another 14 years now ....seeing that our wee boy is starting school next year.....
 HeMa 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

get out, climb some and not die...
 John_Hat 18 Dec 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
>
> I'm thinking Chalkstorm. It's not a serious endeavour >
>
There's a long list of people with broken ankles and worse who would disagree. Take care.
 The Pylon King 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> So thats where the Moyers buttress block went. Youre building a mendip grit crag.

hokkyokusei 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Lose some weight and get fit. (recent injury has left me morose and eating too much)
I'd like to get some winter climbing in, though I don't think I will so walking will have to do.
When it warms up a bit I'd like to do more (easy) multi-pitch climbing.
Lots of wild camping.
Get to the alps again next summer.
Do more hill running.
New 5k & 10k P.B.
Run the Yorkshire three peaks.
Maybe Aconcagua next winter.
 alasdair19 18 Dec 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Citadel is the winter ambition. More Classic e2 in summer. Personal climbing will be over shadowed by test...
 Jonny2vests 18 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> An E5 Redpoint and 300-routes-in-a-day would make me very happy.

> Different days, naturally.

Come now John, where's your ambition

I'd like to do one of the big harder routes on the Squamish Chief, 5.12+ ish, even if I end up following the crux. This is a fairly big ask as I've barely touched rock or plastic since June with the arrival of child no.1.
Post edited at 06:49
 Puppythedog 18 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Sorry I was not clear, my ambition to lead an E4 is not a serious endeavour. Chalkstorm is which is why I down climbed from the serious section last year.
aultguish 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Matterhorn at the beginning of August. Undecided on route as yet, we're gonna see how well my partner and I get on with our winter training as a pair
Gone for good 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:
Got next to nothing done in 2013 for a variety of reasons but mainly due to having a frozen shoulder op in March and then being diagnosed with Folicular Lymphona in the Summer
Plans for 2014 are to traverse the Cuillin Ridge in under 12 hours, hopefuly in May.
Finally get past 200 Munro's(currently at 182)
I have got back into running so a sub 46 minute 10K and a sub 1 hour 50 minute half Marathon would be a big acheivement for me.
 3 Names 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

8a+ RP & E6 OS
 John_Hat 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Johnny2vests

>> An E5 Redpoint and 300-routes-in-a-day would make me very happy.

> Come now John, where's your ambition

Its not as high as you might think I did 200+ in a day six months ago, and had plenty of the day left when I finished about 4pm, unfortunately my body was utterly exhausted and unable to continue. Really unable to continue - as in, I almost fell off a Mod.

300 is do-able but I'll need a run-up. Also, I was still recovering from a shoulder injury six months ago.

As to the E5 Redpoint, I've done several routes that get E5, but always with a side runner or other such device that lowers the grade to a less stressful E3 or similar (e.g. Heartless Hare). I just need to lose the siderunner.

Jonny2vests 18 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Yes, I know about your soloing, we've had these conversations before, all very impressive. I was just making fun of the fact that you might not want to do the 300 on the same day as the E5.

And sod doing heartless hare, with or without side runner Had a bash at Right Wall or Positron yet?
 David Coley 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> And sod doing heartless hare, with or without side runner Had a bash at Right Wall or Positron yet?

Positron, now that is something worth having as a goal!
 BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

As a middle-aged late-starting numpty I'd like to become confident leading VDiffs, on grit as well as limestone, go to Skye, do some long routes in Snowdonia, and remain uninjured.

My thanks to everyone who has climbed with me this year; also to those who have sold me gear - I have a nice little rack now, new and nearly new, almost all purchased from the for sale forum here.

Wishing everyone a safe and exciting year's climbing in 2014!
Simos 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I'd be quite happy if I can climb a couple of times a week (indoors) regularly, improve my technique (bouldering) and stay injury-free. Not very ambitious I know...
 ChrisBrooke 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

It might be a bit ambitious, but after a pretty good 2013 (first E4, first 7a, trips to Jordan , Italy and Croatia) I'm setting my sights high.
Fiesta at Riglos.
Tippler Direct and a million other grit routes.
Alps road trip for the Dibona, the Salbit, the Badile and the Fiamma with the wife would be pretty sweet.
Left Wall.
 getandy 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Flying buttress direct is on my list. Keep looking at it every time I go up to stanage and it would be a good one to tick.
OP Choss 19 Dec 2013
In reply to SethChili:

> To transition from top roping and bouldering indoors to seconding outdoors .

> I'm a scrambler , so all the ropes and gear have put me off in the past ..I still can't get my head around basic stuff like abseiling ( don't you have to leave expensive kit behind ?)

Im Sure you can find people on here, or at the wall you go to, to Take you out and teach you the foundations of Ropework. You sometimes have to Leave a bit of Kit behind if abbing off mid route. Not very often, and can usually leave Little of much Value behind. Besides if you have to bail, leaving Kit behind is a small Price
 John_Hat 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> Yes, I know about your soloing, we've had these conversations before, all very impressive. I was just making fun of the fact that you might not want to do the 300 on the same day as the E5.
>
> And sod doing heartless hare, with or without side runner Had a bash at Right Wall or Positron yet?

Oh, fair enough, Sorry!! Thanks, very nice of you to say Sir! No, not done Right Wall or Positron. If its not a slab I can't climb above VS anyway. Alo, I appear to have some symbiotic relationship with the weather in Wales. Everytime I go there to climb, it rains.
Post edited at 07:51
 Mark Collins 19 Dec 2013
In reply to HeMa:
>
> get out, climb some and not die...

...totally with you on that.
OP Choss 19 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

> An E5 Redpoint and 300-routes-in-a-day would make me very happy.

> Different days, naturally.

If you manage 300 routes in a day, that should go on UKC news with a Time and everything. Good luck with it.
 John_Hat 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> If you manage 300 routes in a day, that should go on UKC news with a Time and everything. Good luck with it.

It's not that big a deal - 500+ in a day has been done several times and 300+ a fair few too.

If it was 500 I was going for, then yup, I agree, but 300 might be loads to me but its small potatoes to the likes of what John Arran and co have done.
 Dan Jam 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

7a+ redpoint, cleanly lead an E2, boulder V6. Also need to lose about 18 pounds which will go a long way to help accomplish mentioned goals!
OP Choss 19 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Well let me Know anyway. Still be a huge Achievement in my Opinion.
 JamButty 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Valkyrie......

OP Choss 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

> Valkyrie......

The Climb or The jump?
 JamButty 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I'm awaiting the offical test results from JCM before I decide on that....

OP Choss 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

> I'm awaiting the offical test results from JCM before I decide on that....

Very wise

Perhaps we need a new Grading system for jumps From Belay Ledges?
abseil 19 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
>...the weather in Wales. Everytime I go there to climb, it rains.

OK, thanks for that. Please post a calendar with your forthcoming visits marked on it (nothing personal, I just don't like being there in heavy rain...)
 Jon Stewart 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

> I'm awaiting the offical test results from JCM before I decide on that....

Has a date been arranged when we can all head down to the Roaches to watch JCM jump off the Valkyrie stance on to a couple of "strategically placed" pads, in the dark? I'll be there!
 oddtoast 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Have self-confidence to lead more, consolidate VDiff/S, do some proper scrambles/longer multipitch, go to Scotland
 Jon Stewart 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I think I should focus my efforts on the South West next year. Break On Through hasn't happened for a few years in a row, same with Mercury Direct (or Gowler at all).

Eroica and Dream/Liberator are two BIG ticks that I'd love to go for, a bit scared of both though (especially D/L). Plus Mastodon.

And of course a trip to Pabbay and Mingulay if at all possible, but that's not really about goals, just a trip.
 John_Hat 19 Dec 2013
In reply to abseil:

> >...the weather in Wales. Everytime I go there to climb, it rains.

> OK, thanks for that. Please post a calendar with your forthcoming visits marked on it (nothing personal, I just don't like being there in heavy rain...)

It has got to the point where people are saying "No, don't go that weekend, John's heading to Wales then, so it'll rain all weekend".
 Tom Last 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

If you're looking for a partner for any of those SW ticks for next year (I recall you mentioning on a thread that you couldn't find a partner for Mercury last time you were down) then let me know as I'm on the ground here and Dream/Liberator, Mastadon, Mercury & Eroica are all high on my list for next summer.
 Jon Stewart 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

Great! I've got from mid-May to early July off work, so I'll most likely be in touch.
abseil 19 Dec 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> It has got to the point where people are saying "No, don't go that weekend, John's heading to Wales then, so it'll rain all weekend".

I knew it! There could be a job for you at the Met Office...
 French Erick 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Shake myself off my plateaux and become an overall better climber.
 Tom Last 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Excellent, I've no trips away planned during those months, so hopefully see you then.
 img_87 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I want to get outdoors more. Only been climbing seriously for about 6 months and been out twice.

The winter/spring is all about getting strong and getting outside
 Mark Harding 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

To remain uninjured long enough to get properly stuck-in. Time is no longer an issue ..... I retired today
 Ciderslider 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Dream of white horses, The Sloth, Flying Buttress Direct, oh and of course to actually lead Left Unconquerable without falling off the crux. Oh, and Cemetery Gates.
 climbingpixie 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Sort my falling off head out and do some harder redpointing - Seventh Aardvark, Sticky Wicket, Cruisin' for a Bruisin' and Obsession are all pretty inspiring

Climb on Scafell, and on mountain crags generally (weather permitting, of course). Most of my wishlist routes are in the mountains so another hot summer would be amazing!

Get back down to Pembroke. Not been in a few years and I'm a lot fitter now so might not flail around as badly as I usually do.

Strap on a pair and start leading E3. I've happily onsighted 20+ E2s but still only done 1 E3 (about 5 years ago!) so think it's about time I stopped being such a fanny and just got on some.
 rurp 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Jetrunner
moon walk
white slab
Ten degrees North
Regent street
Sloth
Elder crack
Saxon
7a+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...