UKC

Should I go to Spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 17 Dec 2013
Oh ukc, my oracle and guider of my life....

Should I go to Spain for a month?

I would get to spend a month in Madrid, with 22 hours a week of Spanish lessons, staying with a Spanish family, so I would probably really improve my Spanish!
It's a bit of a one off chance, and means that I will do something pretty productive with the 4 weeks.

If I don't go, I can have 4 weeks lazing around, doing whatever I want from day to day.

I might hate the spanish family, it might be boiling hot in madrid in the summer, maybe even too hot to climb, I won't have a car (unless, I guess, I pay more to hire one), I will be away from my beloved...

What should I do?
 Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:
Go! Go! and thrice GO!

I think you should go.
 ebygomm 17 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

> it might be boiling hot in madrid in the summer

will not might

I'd still go
johnj 17 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Maybe chose what makes your life more richer, that may take you out of your comfort zone, and in the day to day it may be less enjoyable, however in the long run, it may be the better choice. We're not here for that long as is it.

HTH
 Blizzard 17 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:
What are u waiting for? Just go for adventure, everything doesnt have to evolve around climbing or a car u know.
Post edited at 22:19
 Bob Hughes 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Depends on what you like but I would always prefer 4 weeks of doing something to 4 weeks of lazing around.

For Madrid in particular, what month? It is unbearably hot from about the 15th Jul to 15 Aug. June is a lovely month. Even the beginning of July is often nice. On the plus side the open air pools are open from the first weekend of June to the first weekend of September. There is a street party on the week of the 15 th August. Even in the height of summer you can escape to the mountains (about an hour away by bus) where it is fresher and get some walking done. Possibly to hot to climb unless you go very early in the morning or in the evening. Will you be in the centre of Madrid? If so you don't need a car. Public transport is very good.

I'd say got for it.
 Madblock 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Stay in the UK and climb for a month. Invite a Spanish person over and you will have a climbing partner who could teach you Spanish for free?
OP tlm 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Bob Hughes:

I would do stuff if I stayed here...

It would probably be July. I have the option of June or July, but there are some big birthdays in the family in June that I don't want to miss...

I do have to pay to go - so I could do alternative things instead.

I've thought about getting none English speaking spanish people to stay. The trouble with that is that most people would want to be improving their English! And I have been learning Spanish for a while, but it is sometimes hard to actually get to use it - even if you go on holiday to Spain. People that you meet at crags are often not spanish, and lots of people are either working and so a bit busy for too much idle chat, or want to speak english. Beyond getting to ask for 4 beers, or the bill, it's hard to get involved! And my spanish is pretty beginnerish, so that makes it hard to have casual, quick conversations...
 ByEek 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Go. You will regret not going. I haven't climbed in 6 months owing to a new family member joining the clan. Your life doesn't suddenly end and there are a tonne of equally enjoyable things to do that aren't climbing.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Play 'What a Waste' by Ian Dury and the Blockheads and see how you feel then.
 Tall Clare 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Go! Sounds like an adventure.
In reply to tlm:

Definitely go. It's good to learn a language and they have women in Spain too.
OP tlm 18 Dec 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

That's lovely. After all, some of my best friends and relatives are also women. I shall look forward to meeting all those lovely Spanish women.
 StefanB 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

22 hours of lessons is "lazing around"

July and August are very hot and in August Madrid sort of closes down for vacation. I would strongly suggest June or going somewhere else, like northern Spain or the coast.
Otherwise, these things are usually an excellent experience.
OP tlm 18 Dec 2013
In reply to StefanB:

I have no choice about location - I get the chance to apply for a grant if I go to Madrid... Maybe I could take some blue ice packs with me, and sew pockets into the insides of my clothes to put them in....

I thought about the 22 hours today - I think it will end up being about 4 hours per day! I work about 45 odd hours per week, then study spanish, go climbing, go to choir, decorate the house and do domestic stuff, as well as everything else that comes along. I will have plenty of time to do other stuff, rather than just learning spanish... if I am not dying of heat exhaustion.

The other people who are going will be young and fresh. Will we get on with one another?
 Kimono 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Vaya muchacho, vaya!!
 tattoo2005 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Definitely GO!!!
 teflonpete 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

> The other people who are going will be young and fresh. Will we get on with one another?

No, they'll probably be complete knobs that you'll see no more of after the trip, it'll be stiflingly hot and you'll have to wait a month for a good rogering from Duncs when you get back. What do you actually want to improve your Spanish for?

Other than that, go, you'll have fun and meet some new people. You've got the rest of life afterwards to spend your time with people you know and like, in cold and damp UK weather, being rogered by Duncs, but your Spanish will be better. ;0)
 Timmd 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

It sounds amazing, can you give me the details?

I've been trying to learn Spanish, it sounds like one of those 'what if' things one could often look back on.

Go go go GO go GO GO go go.

GO. ()
andic 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Go, it will be good for you
 ByEek 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

> The other people who are going will be young and fresh. Will we get on with one another?

If it is as hot as you say, I would say the other people going may be young, but they will be hot and sweaty just like you. You will therefore share something in common!
 jonnie3430 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Go! I did the same for a couple of months in Quito and it was excellent! Even if the family are the worst people in the world you can have a great time by being MEGA nice to them so they change their ways...
 Bob Hughes 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:
It's easy to exaggerate the heat thing. I live and work in Madrid and while it is very hot in July / August in the city there are ways round it. i.e. air conditioning, going to outdoor swimming pools, going to the mountains, staying up late in the evening and sleeping in the day etc.

It is also easy the exaggerate Madrid closing down during August. A lot of places do close for summer but many, many places stay open too and a true MadrileƱo enjoys that magical time in August when you can park in the city centre, use the underground at rush hour and generally have the city to yourself.
Post edited at 14:59
OP tlm 18 Dec 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

> you'll have to wait a month for a good rogering from Duncs...

That's it. I'm not going now.
 earlsdonwhu 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

If it is crap it is only for a month.
 Yanis Nayu 18 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

I've mailed you through the forum.
 emmathefish 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Yes you should go. Travel. have fun. If you want to go and travel around slowly and take your time then sticking to one country is great fun, but Portugal is a different culture and is interesting...and France is near the border so why not go there... oh and you can get a ferry to Africa too! But back to Spain > If you have looked at El Chorro then be aware it is a climbing spot AND NOTHING ELSE so only go there if you want to rough it and just climb, and then nearby Seville is beautiful.
 BAdhoc 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Do it. It's better to regret what you do than what you don't.

Any I'm sure 'so there was this time I went to Spain for a month....' Will be a better set of stories down the pub than 'there's was this time I lazed around for 4weeks right...'
 3 Names 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Which ever one involves the most climbing, do that.
 Billhook 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

You've got a chance to go to Madrid - a fantastic city for a month with a Spanish family and experience their culture and perhaps learn some Spanish too.

The alternative is you stay at home.

And you're having trouble making up your mind?

If life's choices are so difficult, I'd stay at home!
OP tlm 20 Dec 2013
In reply to emmathefish:

Emma - it's a summer school in Madrid, so no travelling. I've been to El Chorro, with no car, in the wettest February for 35 years, with roads collapsing, so I know full well what isn't there! There was no roughing it. I've been to Spain a lot of times, which is why I started to learn Spanish in the first place.
 BAdhoc 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Btw it kinda sounds as if you've made your decision not to go already but. By posting on here you were looking for someone to confirm your decision but you didn't get it so now you're having to justify not going?

Do what you want! If you'd prefer to laze around at home do that!
OP tlm 20 Dec 2013
In reply to 3 Names:

> Which ever one involves the most climbing, do that.

Staying at home would involve the most climbing! When I say 'lazing around', I would actually do quite a lot of varied things, but they would be from a home base, rather than being in Madrid. I would probably actually get more done from home...
OP tlm 20 Dec 2013
In reply to BAdhoc:

Er - actually, I've more or less decided to go, but it's fairly obvious that if I post in the way that I did, I would get lots of encouragement and confirmation of my choice.

Now if I said - I have 15 weeks off in the summer, and money to spend - where should I go, and what should I do? THEN, people would not suggest a month in Madrid learning Spanish!!!!
OP tlm 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

> You've got a chance to go to Madrid - a fantastic city for a month with a Spanish family and experience their culture and perhaps learn some Spanish too.

> The alternative is you stay at home.

> And you're having trouble making up your mind?

The thing is, being at home is pretty amazingly mind blowingly wonderful! I do love my day to day life...
 BAdhoc 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:
Fair enough, enjoy Spain
 Billhook 20 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

Fair enough Tim. You may be a dead keen climber too - wanting to be out every day in summer. But you can go to Spain and have the experience. There is even a climbing scene out there as you probably know.

Then you can come back.

In a couple of years time you'll remember the month in Spain but you won't remember the four weeks you didn't climb in the UK.
OP tlm 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

I know about the climbing in Spain - I've climbed there lots of times. July in Madrid may be too hot to climb - but who knows - it may be fine in the early mornings or evenings - we managed fine in India, and I am sure that was hotter than spain will be!

I'm not too worried about not climbing, to be honest. I'm more worried about missing my husband...
 Billhook 22 Dec 2013
In reply to tlm:

But you always have the husband!
OP tlm 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

You can't get too much of a good thing...
RockShock 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> It's easy to exaggerate the heat thing. I live and work in Madrid and while it is very hot in July / August in the city there are ways round it. i.e. air conditioning, going to outdoor swimming pools, going to the mountains, staying up late in the evening and sleeping in the day etc.

> It is also easy the exaggerate Madrid closing down during August. A lot of places do close for summer but many, many places stay open too and a true MadrileƱo enjoys that magical time in August when you can park in the city centre, use the underground at rush hour and generally have the city to yourself.

I second that, August is the best month in Madrid for me and you'll find some places to climb in Patones that will be in shade in the morning... So, another vote for 'Go' from my side

Cheers!
RS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...