UKC

TV Aerials

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 18 Dec 2013
Moving to BT Vision from Sky, but need to get an aerial - sky obviously uses a dish.

What do I need to know about the aerial and how much, roughly, should one cost? I'm assuming I can fit it myself inside the loft?

We have aerial cabling already running from wall sockets into the loft, but was never connected up to anything.
 balmybaldwin 18 Dec 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

It depends a lot on how good the signal is in your local area. I have a good "indoor" aerial that worked to pick up digital TV at UNI, but couldn't pick it up back home.
 cfer 18 Dec 2013

You need a fairly good one, rather than bugger around we paid the £120 fee for them to fit one, I didnt have big enough ladders and the cheapest suitable aerial was around £50 iirc so worked out ok
OP LastBoyScout 18 Dec 2013
In reply to cfer:

My last house and most people down our road (as far as I can tell) have internal loft aerials, so I'm not keen on paying someone to fit it - although my Dad has suitable ladders if needed them.

I'm mainly after advice on what I need and price, so I don't get the wrong thing/ripped off by installer.
 Mountain Llama 18 Dec 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: I fitted one of these in the loft, works fine. Just used string to suspend from roof beams. Take a look outside which way roof Ariels are pointing and follow.

http://m.wickes.co.uk/45-Element-Aerial/p/199496

HTH Davey

Dave 88 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:

You can actually find out where your transmitting station is and set your aerial on a bearing if you really wanna be a bit boring but have good signal!
 Mountain Llama 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave 88: aye aye captain!

MaxWilliam 18 Dec 2013

High gain digital aerials work well in lofts assuming you are in a reasonable reception area or not too obscured. Is safer, less likely to blow off or be wobbled by pigeons. Screwfix have reasonable range of aerials at ok prices. No need to spend fortune if in a good signal area and don't have extraneous interference in your house.

You do need a decent co-ax cable however, which is foiled screened, i.e. satellite coax.

Probs with new aerials utilising 1970s cabling is usually solved by replacing the old brown cable with a new satellite coax.
richyfenn 18 Dec 2013

Which aerial depends on a number of factors. I live a few miles from a powerful transmiter and get full signal at top quality from a cheap little tv top aerial that's in the loft.

http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php On this map, click on the transmitter nearest you to predict the signal strength. If you are close to a transmitter then a a wideband aerial should do fine and are easy to find. But if you are in a low strength area then you should find an aerial tuned to the frequencies that are transmitted as it will give better reception.

If you give us your location we can have a look.
 vark 18 Dec 2013

http://www.aerialsandtv.com

There is more than you could ever wish/need to know on this website.
 Martin W 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MaxWilliam:

> High gain digital aerials…

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. They're all UHF aerials. The "digital" appellation was added by marketing types before analogue TV was switched off, although it meant nothing in real terms: an aerial is an aerial, it doesn't care what's been modulated on to the radio waves it picks up.

Usually, "digital" actually meant "wideband" ie capable of receiving all the UHF TV frequencies, something which you often did need pre-DSO to receive the lower-power digital muxes which were squeezed into gaps between the analogue channels at the main transmitter sites. Hence also why high-gain was useful, because the digital muxes were broadcast at low power.

Post-DSO a high-gain wideband aerial shouldn't really be needed unless you are in a very dodgy reception area. Even then, a grouped aerial is probably preferable since it will be better at rejecting frequencies you don't want, which can be important if you are in a poor reception area and may well become more so as more of the old analogue UHF channels are sold off for things like 4G.

> You do need a decent co-ax cable however, which is foiled screened

A decent downlead is important but - assuming the terminations are sound - old brown coax is quite likely to be perfectly OK if it's only ever been run internally (exposure to the elements is much more likely to knacker downleads than being comfortably indoors). I'm getting six (soon to be eight) muxes of digital TV including HD very happily off old 1960s brown coax which was installed when the house was built. It would a complete pain to replace since it runs down inside the wall cavity, which has since been filled with insulation!

Again, digital TV signals are just RF, so if the current downlead doesn't exhibit any problems carrying RF signals from loft to sitting room then I'd say there's no pressing reason to replace it with WF100/CT100 unless it would be a trivially straightforward job. Digital TV is actually more resistant to many kinds of interference than analogue, due to the error-correction built in to the encoding. I would be strongly inclined to make any patch leads eg from wall socket to TV/STB, from CT100 in preference to the cheap white plastic rubbish you can buy, which has about as much screening as my big toe.

If appliances on the premises such as thermostats for central heating or fridges are creating impulse interference then there's a good argument for fixing those, ie cure it at the source, rather than simply trying to make your TV signal more interference-proof. (A new CH thermostat probably costs less than replacing the old coax with CT100.)

If money is no object then by all means pay for a brand-new aerial installation, but in a lot of cases it's simply not required and a more pragmatic approach is just to upgrade the stuff that's straightforward to get at first, and fix actual problems if and when they arise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...