UKC

First football match!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 19 Dec 2013

Tomorrow evening I will play in my first football match! Kind of nervous. I am currently reading the rules of football and I think I got it. Any tips or tricks? I am pretty fit as I do a lot of cycling and Freeletics. It's 5 per side.

As I've never played because I'm a bit worried I'll be dreadful, but apparently they need a man even if I just stand there. I'm very competitive though so I'll try my best.
Post edited at 22:08
 The Potato 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:

dont over focus on the ball, keep your head up and know where you are on the pitch in relation to the lines/goals. Sounds daft but when you get over excited and the adrenaline is buzzing its easy to get disorientated.
Keep hydrated, have fun
 Alan M 19 Dec 2013

You will love itKeep it simple, play the simple ball no trickery unless you really know you can beat your man.

Make yourself available at all times to receive the ball and lay it off with a simple pass.

In 5 a side the full back positions is usually where most time and space can be found. i.e. if your shit on the ball drop back in to the middle of defence for the game and then drop in to the full back positions to receive the ball from the keeper. Play it forward, be positive and just keep moving around the pitch.

The most important rule.... TRACK BACK there is nothing worse in 5 a side game when a player doesn't track back and fill a defensive position.
 Ciderslider 19 Dec 2013

Just make sure that you pick the right coloured hairband, make sure your hair looks nice and then just run about a bit. Also don't worry if you're not very good, you could be the team leader for Brighton
In reply to Alan M:

That sounds good, I like the idea of being a defensive player because at best the most I can realistically hope for it to get in people way.
 1poundSOCKS 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: Just be mentally prepared, even a knock about between mates can feel like the FA cup final (or maybe that's just my mates). Football doesn't generally bring out the best in people, just be thick skinned and get stuck in. And it is all about winning, taking part is fun...as long as you win.

chris fox 19 Dec 2013

Just enjoy it, yes you'll be knackered, yes you'll have a few fresh air kicks, and yes you'll probably stand on the ball and go arse over t!t !!!!!

Try and think of 2 touch. 1st touch i to control the ball, 2nd is to just pass it to another player - keep it simple.
 Tony the Blade 19 Dec 2013

Just get out there and have a laugh with your mates, after 1 game you'll know if you like it or not regardless of your capabilities, just enjoy it.

KevinD 19 Dec 2013

The opposing player is far larger and easier to hit than the football. So its best to kick them first and once they are down go after the ball.
 JamButty 19 Dec 2013

Practice diving, perfect the art of rolling around like you've been shot, and think of numerous obscenities to throw at the ref.

John Ww 20 Dec 2013

So you never played football at school - ever???

JW
 Jim Hamilton 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:
> Make yourself available at all times to receive the ball and lay it off with a simple pass.
>
but never played ? no-one is going to pass to the op, so about the only time he'll touch the ball is if he gets in the way of a shot !
 Banned User 77 20 Dec 2013

Is it serious or non-competitive no one keeps scores sort of stuff? - which I've never understood.. sport's are about winning...

If it is serious don't be sensitive, there's normally a fair amount of swearing and shouting but its normal.. non-players can get a tad put off by it.

There's a great video on line of Scholesey playing 5-a-side with his mates.. he's running around kicking people like a an idiot.. it's so funny watching someone just so much better than anyone there but still caught up in the moment and wanting to win like its a final.

5-a-side with good clever footballers is possibly the most enjoyable evening you can have.. probably ahead of an evening with Kaleu Couco..

But the main thing is position on the pitch doesn't matter. All that matters is having the ball on your team because you can score from anywhere in a few seconds. 11 a side players brought up with the territorial hit the channels mentality are infuriating to play 5 a side with.
 earlsdonwhu 20 Dec 2013

I am staggered that you have got to the age of 31, according to your profile, and never played in a football match.

Enjoy it.
Don't try to catch the ball unless told to stand between 2 white sticks.
Shout a lot. Things like " Down the line", "Man on", " You ****" will help create the impression that you are in fact experienced. Fall over every now and then and scream, " Come on Ref"
paulcarey 20 Dec 2013

What's freeletics??
 Glyno 20 Dec 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

just had this image of a confused OP throwing himself to the ground and screaming "down the line" at the ref

"5 per side"...what a lovely phrase.

Enjoy, if it all goes pear shaped hide in goals.
 Jackspratt 21 Dec 2013

I used to coach football and the best advice i can give you is don't try to dribble past anyone PASS, PASS and Pass short accurate passes will take cut through the opposition and keep the ball on the deck pass nice and early and if you do that you'll get through the first game and pick up the more complex stuff from the others. but pass and move as soon as you've offloaded the ball to make yourself available again is the fundamental pillar of all football. It's what every coach tries to instill in novices! plus have fun and enjoy it
 Fat Bumbly2 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:

Not playing - but the first league match I watched had David Icke (thread directly above at this time) playing in it.

The Lizards even control UKC!
 Glyno 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:

> PASS, PASS and Pass short accurate passes will take cut through the opposition and keep the ball on the deck pass nice and early and if you do that you'll get through the first game and pick up the more complex stuff from the others. but pass and move as soon as you've offloaded the ball to make yourself available again is the fundamental pillar of all football.

maybe you could try and explain that concept to our national team manager and the majority of our premier league players?
 Clarence 21 Dec 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> I am staggered that you have got to the age of 31, according to your profile, and never played in a football match.

I have got to 45 and have never played or watched a football match apart from the clips at the end of the news. I always opted for cross country running in winter and cricket or athletics in summer at school. I left football for those who had grown up with it and knew how to play. The Nottinghamshire school where I taught didn't play football either, no field to play on and too crowded indoors so circuit training was pretty much every PE session.
Jim C 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Richard
My tip....

don't bend down in the showers after the game

Chris Harris 21 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

> Practice diving, perfect the art of rolling around like you've been shot, and think of numerous obscenities to throw at the ref.

You need to add elbowing & shirt pulling to the list.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...