UKC

The gym and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adam 24 20 Dec 2013
A few months ago my physio recommended I join the gym to work on a long term knee problem. I took his advice, but while I was going I thought I may as well do some upper body work. Nothing particularly fancy, just bench press, shoulder press and flys for the most part.
I have noticed something of an improvement in my climbing at the same time. I've been at a stagnant level for a while, but I have started to feel a little bit stronger. However, the biggest difference seems to be in the volume of climbing i can manage. Rather than being broken after 2 hours bouldering I seem to be able to go for 4 hours a few times a week. I hope make use of this extra capacity for more training or more attempts to suss out beta.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this effect, as I was pleasantly surprised. I'm also wondering whether it will wear off. My knee is making progress so I was thinking of dropping the gym sessions. But perhaps adding harder upper body work outs will bring more climbing gains? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Adam
 krank 20 Dec 2013
In reply to adam 24:
is it really a surprise that a stronger body makes you climb better/longer?
Post edited at 15:45
Simos 20 Dec 2013
In reply to krank:

I am actually a big surprised especially if the gym sessions replaced climbing sessions ie were not over and above the climbing. Would have thought that the specificity of climbing would provide better results

@OP - it almost sounds like your body needed a break maybe? Could be that you weren't recovering properly? 4hrs bouldering a few times a week sounds like a lot to me by the way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...