UKC

Cyfrwy Arete (via Table Direct) Cadair Idris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 THE.WALRUS 21 Dec 2013
Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable route for current conditions and in big boots? Current conditions being damp, slippery and miserable - but not wintery yet.
 mattrm 21 Dec 2013
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

If you don't mind it being wet and cold (it's in the shade most of the way) then yeah, it'll be fine. You'll want a few grades in hand and it's pretty grassy in a few places.
 Skyhook 22 Dec 2013
In reply to mattrm:

It's not "grassy" unless you go wildly off-route.
 BnB 22 Dec 2013
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

We did it in big boots last week, albeit in drier conditions. Table Direct, despite the grading seems easier than the arete, owing to the massive footholds which more than compensate for the extra steepness. I think the overall lack of polish, combined with the exceptional juggy handholds, will mean that wet conditions will pose only limited difficulties as long as you treat the route with respect.
OP THE.WALRUS 22 Dec 2013
In reply to BnB:

Thanks, all - good advice. I'll wait for a dry day and give it a go.
 Dave Williams 22 Dec 2013
In reply to BnB:

> Table Direct, despite the grading seems easier than the arete, owing to the massive footholds which more than compensate for the extra steepness. I think the overall lack of polish, combined with the exceptional juggy handholds, will mean that wet conditions will pose only limited difficulties as long as you treat the route with respect.

Cyfrwy by the Table Direct is definitely the best way of climbing the Arete. A possible regrade is being considered in the new C.C. Mid Wales guide - i.e. Cyfrwy by the Table Direct being graded HD (or even D) rather than VD - to take into account that increased traffic on Table Direct has made that route easier, despite the steepness. I also agree that the pitch on the Arete after the Table is harder than anything on Table Direct, particularly in less than ideal conditions. The rock's a bit like that on Lliwedd - with less friction than expected when wet.

Any further feedback regarding this proposed down grading would be gratefully received.

Dave

drsdave 22 Dec 2013
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

did it about 4 wks ago. did the left hand route in b2's. slippery but doable, certainly if it was more slippery than slippery Id forgot it. we did rope up and protect but no dramas thankfully. some loose rocks in parts but Id do it agin
 timjones 22 Dec 2013
In reply to mattrm:

> If you don't mind it being wet and cold (it's in the shade most of the way) then yeah, it'll be fine. You'll want a few grades in hand and it's pretty grassy in a few places.

I don't remember any grass on the route!
 Trevers 22 Dec 2013
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I agree with Dave Williams about the pitch after the table. It's steep, exposed and with small holds. I'd still say it's a VDiff pitch but with big boots and bad weather you'll want a few grades in hand. There was a thread before about this route where someone described having an epic on that pitch.

The start of the Table Direct route is not easy to find. We wasted about half an hour looking for it.

Also, there's an awful lot of loose rock along the ridge sections. Be very careful that what you step on doesn't start to slide and test spike runners/belays before committing to them.
 Albert Tatlock 22 Dec 2013
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Sir

How big are your boots ?

You know what they say about big boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...