UKC

Moving to Newcastle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harri777 22 Dec 2013
I'm thinking about moving to Newcastle for work and am looking for some advice on where to live, how much I can expect to pay, and where to go climbing/running/cycling.
The job would be in the city centre and I'd like to be able to cycle to work (so max 8-10 miles each way ideally, on non-terrifying roads) but also have the option of public transport. I'd be looking for a 1-2 bed place, and not too fussed about how gentrified the area is. Any advice gratefully received!
I'm also keen to hear experience from others who live in the area- how good is the climbing, how easy is it to meet partners, etc etc. Thanks.
 Billy the fish 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

There are some good cycle routes in and around the city but the roads could be exciting at rush hour. As well as busses, a good public transport network called the metro serves the city and opens your options about location. It all depends on where you job will be.
Jesmond and Gosforth areas are close and popular which is reflected in the house prices and rent. Chillingham and Heaton are cheaper and just as close to the city centre. 20 minutes further away by metro is the coast which is also popular, not just because of the scenery.
Jesmond dene, the beaches, the riverside, the town moor and plenty of other places offer good running routes. If you want local climbing, you need to look indoors where there are several venues and chances to meet up with potential partners. Also, the Northumbrian Mountaineering Club should be able to help. If you drive, you have access to many fine crags within an hour’s travel and the Lake District, Dales and Scotland are only a couple of hours away.
 andy_e 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

I'll probably not be much use for accommodation, but a 10 mile radius would have you all the way to the coast, so a wide range of places to choose from. Perhaps look at some of the more studenty areas around Jesmond? only a few miles from the city centre, with the Metro close enough for public transport.

With regards to climbing, there is a decent bouldering place (climb Newcastle), and a wall similar to MCC (Newcastle climbing centre) both in Byker. Eldon Square, the shopping centre in town has a bendcrete bouldering wall in the sports place, and sunderland wall isn't too far away. There are a few other smaller indoor places around as well, but you're pretty well sorted really.

As for outdoors, you can drive north for about 45 minutes to get to some good sandstone places such as Bowden doors, corby's crag etc.. Or head towards Rothbury to Simonside for something a little more like grit. There is also Causey Quarry just over the river, which can be good for toprope-self belaying, when you're looking to get some training done.
In reply to Harri777:

> I'm thinking about moving to Newcastle for work

I'm thinking of moving to the Sahara for the skiing.
OP Harri777 22 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> I'm thinking of moving to the Sahara for the skiing.

Ha! don't worry, it's not a speculative move!

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll look into those locations.
 mikehike 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

Hope you join us up here, its a beautiful place in scenery people and culture.
As any city, it has its share of crap to be avoided.

Plenty climbing walls:
Newburn
Biker Church
Biker Baths
Sunderland Climbing Centre
Sunderland Wall
Langley Moor
Newton Aycliffe
Berghaus (may be closed now)

Cant advise on city centre living though. Im a suburbs 3 bed semi type in Gateshead.

Brass Nipples 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

There's biker grove isn't there - must be good for cycling

OP Harri777 22 Dec 2013
In reply to mikehike:

What's Gateshead like? Looks like you get more for your money that side of the river.
 mikehike 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

I would tend to agree more house for your money in Gatehead.

Gateshead is the Centre of the universe as far as im concerned.
But as everything is relative its a bit open ended.
Plenty areas have been modernised.

Close to coast and country side, walks runs n cycling.
Check Strava out for cycle routes.

I live a mile up the bank from the Angel of the North, this gives me easy access to A1, Gateshead, Newcastle, Sunderland, Washington, Chester le Street.

Its a fairly hilly area round here, which is a pain at the end of a hard ride out.
 Lew13 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Harri777:

Northumberland offers excellent climbing. Majority of crags can be reached in an hour from Newcastle.
KevinD 22 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> I'm thinking of moving to the Sahara for the skiing.

doesnt look to bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54724780@N00/2307132835/?rb=1
In reply to Harri777:
I was born and raised in Tynemouth, and when I started work used to cycle to central Newcastle most days -- took me around 30-35 minutes -- unless the weather was minging - then I'w walk to the station and get the train. (The metro now runs on what was the old railway lines). That was almost 50 years ago when the Coast Road was still mostly a single carriageway. I could go pretty quickly if I got a 'tow' from a double decker bus - as the traffic rarely went faster than 30mph and there were traffic lights every mile or so!

There are some decent areas to live and some that should be avoided like the plague. I would always recommend north of the river - as its further from Mackemland and closer to the crags. The cycling in Northumberland is pretty good also.
Post edited at 16:36
OP Harri777 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

thanks all, starting to seem a bit less scary now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...