UKC

The evolution of climbing...What's next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Dec 2013
I know that climbing has been around for ever, ranging from the shepherd scrambling around to save a sheep or two, to today with the wide and varied spectrum that encompasses all that is climbing.

I've only been climbing for 20 years and in that time I have see new bits of kit hit the shelves. But what caught me unaware was the growth of Bouldering. For me, bouldering was just warming up, but now it has evolved into a discipline in its own right whit a huge commercial juggernaut to feed it from crash mats, to books, to purpose built indoor walls, to god knows what else. But pleas let the Benie go the way of the Do-Do.

So, with all that preamble, any ideas how climbing will evolve and in what direction over the next 20 to 50 years?
 Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Thats an Interesting Christmas eve Question. Ill have a think
 Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Firstly, i think my newly created slightly Dangerous discipline of Freestyle BMX riding down slab Climbs will Become a huge hit (keep your eye out on youtube folks) but might be a tad controversial at first ;-D
 Al Evans 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Thats not newly created, somebody rode down the Heart of the Sun slab at Baggy way back in the 60/70's.
 Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> Thats not newly created, somebody rode down the Heart of the Sun slab at Baggy way back in the 60/70's.

Im bringing it Back

On 20 inch wheels, BMX Freestyle. Its not just the descent this Time Round, its the tricks as well. Got my eye on a tasty HVS run in Avon gorge, but the initial Drop in From top of the route is well harsh, Literally do or die.
 adam 24 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

If 'gecko tape' ever becomes a functional and accessible technology it could totally revolutionize climbing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3785-gecko-tape-will-stick-you-to-cei...

Obviously we don't know what its real world physical properties would be, but it could be very strong. It might be possible to make 'trad gear' that could be placed almost anywhere and then removed with no trace by a second. If it made bolting and conventional gear redundant then sport and trad would almost blur into the same thing. There again, our whole concept of free climbing a route would be thrown out the window if a glove made of this stuff turned a moderate climber into a 9a climber. Would the sport survive if it was so easy to cheat up everything?
 1poundSOCKS 24 Dec 2013
In reply to adam 24: There's always ways of cheating. I've even known people practice moves on a top-rope.

jonnie3430 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> So, with all that preamble, any ideas how climbing will evolve and in what direction over the next 20 to 50 years?

We'll finally get rid of the biggest faff in climbing, pitching with ropes! By using quadcopter or multicopter drones for a constant belay all the way up so we can just focus on the climb and getting it clean. Once up, just jump off and start again, no walk offs!
 Al Evans 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

You need to read Bernard Amy's article 'The Greatest Climber In The World' it will explain all to you, even the rise of bouldering. Unfortunately I can't find it on the net.
 martinph78 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Not applicable to bouldering (or gritstone) but I reckon BASE jumping/wingsuit flying off the top of climbs will become the norm in the higher ranges.
 Tom Last 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> Thats not newly created, somebody rode down the Heart of the Sun slab at Baggy way back in the 60/70's.

I've heard that one before, but definitely sounds like a myth. Are you sure somebody didn't just lob a bike down there?
 Bulls Crack 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I've only been climbing for 20 years and in that time I have see new bits of kit hit the shelves. . But what caught me unaware was the growth of Bouldering. For me, bouldering was just warming up, but now it has evolved into a discipline in its own right

I suppose it depends where you started climbing - I started 30 years ago in Northumberland and everyone bouldered!

I prophesise that select grit quarries will get bolted
 Cameron94 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Winter XII's and XIII's etc which take lines up high e-grades and massive roofs becoming a lot more common.

kwoods 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Similarly to that, trad being climbed of French 9's difficulty.
 planetmarshall 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

On the subject of Winter Climbing, looking further ahead - the impact of climate change on Scottish Winters will become clearer, while simultaneously advances in technology will increase both the temporal and spatial accuracy of weather forecasts. This will result in greater participation (as it has done in the last few years), meaning more investment in gear, infrastructure, and numerous threads on UKC wondering if making it all too safe is 'cheating'.
 atrendall 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Photo link, please!
 Iain Peters 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm pretty certain that's apocryphal Al, and would've been on a top rope. Fowler's horrorshow, Bike got it's name from the remains found halfway up it, but no evidence was found of the rider!
 Iain Peters 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I vaguely remember a photo in a mag, possibly Crags, of someone pedalling up a route in N Wales with the caption "C'mon legs, do your stuff" Must've been a piss take on Ron's phrase.
 Yanis Nayu 24 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Wii climbing.
 Kafoozalem 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Iain Peters:

I have a strong feeling that was my mate Martin Roberts on the cover of the Bangor Uni magazine in the early 80's. I think the route was Cenotaph Corner and the bicycle was some sort of shopper.
 Iain Peters 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
I think you're right Pete, but didn't Crags use it as well? Must have been about the time Ron was filmed on Lord.
Post edited at 19:48
 Choss 25 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Ive got a feeling bolted Lower offs will Become more widespread on Trad routes.

Some Kind Of suction based Protection devices Perhaps? Im not really sure where there is for Gear to develop apart From Lightening and Tweeking details?

chalk to be Replaced with non marking alternatives. already exists i Know, i use non marking eco chalk, but will be more widespread.

I think Commercial via ferratas will become more Common, sadly Leading more and more Landowners to realise their crags as Assets, leading to more charge to Climb crags.

dagibbs 25 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

"Ive got a feeling bolted Lower offs will Become more widespread on Trad routes."

Ah, there's a nice British view-point. They're already pretty common over here in North America.
king_of_gibraltar 25 Dec 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Replying to the subject title, i'm gonna go with climbing upside down on glass with no pro and molten lava and sharks beneath. You know, just another of those things which all the awesome climbers will be able to do and leave you feeling like you're a complete amateur.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...