UKC

engine oil slow leak advice pls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 29 Dec 2013
probably lost about 1.5 ltr in 3 months
ive checked the usual way with paper under the car to find drips but nothing visible.
ive checked the sump, sump plug and oil filter and theyre fine.
where else should i look?
thanks
 wilkie14c 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

It isn't a massive amount over 3 months. If there are no drips it must be either mixing with the water (head gasket) or more likely simply burning away due to engine wear. Oil can seep past the valve stem oil seals into the cylinder overnight and it'll simply burn off when you start the car, blue tinge to exhaust smoke on start up is a clue for this. OR it could be getting past the piston rings and burning when the engine is running and you floor the gas pedal, blue tinge to exhaust under heavy power is a clue to this. I wouldn't unduly worry about this myself unless its a really new car.
If a turbo powered car it could be more serious, the oil seal between the exhaust and intake sides of the turbo could be leaking.
 woolsack 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

Do you do a massive numbers of miles?
 crayefish 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

Check the drain hole in the clutch housing too (could be rear crank oil seal). Clean the underside of the engine bay (carefully if using a jetty!) if you want to identify easily.

But I wouldn't worry too much... as my old off-roading instructor once said: 'An engine that leaks oil is no big problem... every time you top it up it is like it's getting a fresh oil change!'

But as Wilkie said, can be serious if its a turbo leaking.
 jezb1 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

1.5l isnt a massive amount.

What's the car?
interdit 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

> ive checked the usual way with paper under the car to find drips but nothing visible.

Have you done this after bringing the engine up to temperature by taking if for a spin and then leaving it idling on the driveway?

> ive checked the sump, sump plug and oil filter and theyre fine.
> where else should i look?

Any oil or scummy emulsion inside the coolant circuit header tank?
OP The Potato 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

nothing in coolant or header
i know its not a great loss but ive not had a car use more than a litre in a year before.
its a non turbo petrol so not as much to go wrong.
i do about 20k miles a year currently on 92k.
ill get under it and clean it, i was just hoping someone could suggest a particilar area to inspect.
 WILLS 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

What type of car? What service history? Do you actually change the oil every 10K miles or annually? Is it mineral or synthetic oil?

Oil degrades. If it hasn't been changed in 30K miles you may as well have sand in there. The carbon deposits in the oil cause tiny metal fragments to break away from the surface this causes more contam etc just gets worse and eats your piston rings etc.
 woolsack 29 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

> i know its not a great loss but ive not had a car use more than a litre in a year before.

I usually start worrying when my cars aren't dropping any oil anymore, means they need refilling

wilkie14c 29 Dec 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to owena)
>
>
>
> [...]
>
> I usually start worrying when my cars aren't dropping any oil anymore, means they need refilling

Or when they start using more oil than petrol!
I've had a battery failure today, 2nd time in a week it wouldn't start. Next door was kind enough for a jump start and its charging in my office now to make make sure it gets me home from work. 50 notes for a new one from euro car parts, reserved and collect from shop tomorrow. Not bad for a 2L turbo diesel battery. Not worth pissing about at this time of year is it?
 woolsack 29 Dec 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

not many cars with cranking handles nowadays, very handy though
In reply to owena:

Is it a Nissan Primera mk3 (p12)...?

A mate has one that uses oil faster than his previous cars, but is otherwise fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...