UKC

Brecon beacons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Magicdan 01 Jan 2014
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I hope this is in the right section.
In the first weekend of February me and a buddy are going into the Brecon Beacons, my question is this, what are the conditions likely to be and will I need to go with full on ice axe and Crampons?
We are pretty well equipped and experienced so know all the relevant precautions to take I just don't want to take them if I don't need to due to weight and space.
Although we are experienced most of our Hill walking is in the spring and summer although we did go up a couple of smaller hills (moel siabod and another that I can't remember the name of) in December last year and it was snowy and a little icey but perfectly fine.
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
In reply to Magicdan:

You are asking the million dollar question. I have climbed ice in South Wales in April. I have run up Pen y Fan in shorts and T shirt in February.

Maybe ask this question a week or so before you go and you may well get an answer from the locals.
 Welsh Kate 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

If you are hillwalkers rather than looking for Welsh winter routes then you are likely to be perfectly ok with microspikes and walking poles rather than full-on winter kit, but we've had some good winters here recently where you could use axe and 'pons as a walker if wanted.

But as advised, best to ask nearer the time. We're under water at the moment and it's very mild out!
Magicdan 01 Jan 2014
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

That's fair enough, just trying to figure out what to take and what to leave at home, I appreciate it's not exactly the easiest question to answer, cheers for the reply any how!
Magicdan 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I was thinking along those lines, some decent micro Spikes and a long handled ice axe but like you say, I'll ask again nearer the time, should be easier to gauge.
Cheers
 greycarsdave 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

I'm looking at coming up next week, probably mid week. How are the conditions on pen-y-fan at the moment?

Dave
 Welsh Kate 01 Jan 2014
In reply to greycarsdave:

Wet.
There was snow over Christmas, but there's virtually nothing up there now. Keep an eye on the Met Office mountain area forecast and the summit forecast for Pen y Fan.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/pen-y-fan-powys#?tab=fi...

I'll be up in the Beacons this weekend, if you post a reminder I'll post up a conditions report.
 greycarsdave 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Sounds great, thanks.

Dave
 Billhook 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Just because a hill has snow on it doesn't mean you need 'full on', or any special gear.
 tipsy 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Www.southwaleswinter.blogspot.com

Wet at the moment. Anybody's guess for a months time.
Magicdan 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Cheers for all your replys, much appreciated, I'll check back in a few weeks!
James Jackson 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Just because a hill has snow on it doesn't mean you need 'full on', or any special gear.

No indeed. I ran up Pen-y-Fan in shorts and tee-shirt last March when it was covered in snow. Plenty of people cutting about with full winter gear though.
 lone 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

I've only ever used Ice axe and Crampons on areas such as the Goat Track under Cribyn and the Snout to it's summit, also up the easy gully on Fan y Big, and the climb to the top of Graig Fan Du usually gets iced up quite a bit when its cold enough.

Usually use Instep Crampons everywere else where ground permits.

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...