UKC

simul climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukem6 02 Jan 2014
What methods/precautions do you use. I've always figured simul climbing to be done below your leaders and seconds ability, but what have you done in situations such as second or leader climbing too fast, or gear/rope jamming.

Do you place more gear than usual when doing this to decrease the distance off the second could pull you? simply If you do or have simul-climbed a technical face what was your method?
 ByEek 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

Simul climbing should only really be done if you have climbed with someone a lot and really trust them, or on a very easy route. If one of you climbs too fast, then communication is the way forward. You don't have to run the whole 50m of rope out. Just keep several runners between yourselves.

You have to remember that simul climbing is basically soloing with a bit of a desperate just-in-case-all-sh1t-breaks-loose mechanism in place.
 crayefish 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

It's tough when you have a slightly windy route and/or can't see your partner. Last time I had that problem and it was hard to tell the difference between rope drag and my second slowing down.

Best done when you can see and communicate effectively as solves many of the problems described. But the second should match the leaders pace and have a call system ready if they need to slow or take out gear.

As for the second pulling you off... this SHOULD NOT happen and is very dangerous for the leader. If in doubt make sure the best climber seconds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...