UKC

Private Plates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnj 02 Jan 2014

Not something I'd really ever do, more money than sense type of job, but then I've always been skint so it's not like I've ever had the luxury of the choice, and who'd want to miss-spell their own name, there's no accounting for taste I suppose...... Anyway.

So come on private plate owners you were proud enough to buy it in the first place, lets have a UKC list
Post edited at 18:28
 tlm 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I just use any old plate out of the cupboard - the food tastes just the same on any old one...
johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

:+)

lcb
 nniff 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I used to work for a company where I got a car allowance, but the car had to be under a certain age. the form I had to fill in asked for a registration number but not for year of manufacture. One private plate later, we had a conveniently ageless car.
 Duncan Bourne 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I wanted to have a private plate to prove that I was not infected with head lice.

I had thought it all out too. Realising that a plate saying "Person not affected by head lice" was a bit too long to fit on the car I had come up with a simple abbreviation, using "P" for person and "0" for zero head lice and then just using the generic term "lice" for the final bit.

For some reason the vehicle licensing centre turned me down
johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Do you think the Private Plate P O Lice have infested this thread and none of the UKC massive dare put their plates up for view?
Post edited at 19:20
KevinD 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

As NWO agents we are not allowed private plates. Annoying but those are the rules.
johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to dissonance:

> As NWO agents we are not allowed private plates. Annoying but those are the rules.

Is this code to say you really have NWO 666?
 Brass Nipples 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I have a private plate, cost £80, about the same as a single tank of fuel.
johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Is it interesting enough to share?
 Dax H 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I own a bunch of them.
3 A## Dax plates that I got for about £100 each around 18 years ago and put them on the company vans,
I now have a further 4 as L## Dax due to the A plates being sold out, they have been got over the last 3 years for around £300 each and are also on my vans.

They disguise the age of the vans very well, a lot of my customers look down their noses if a van or car is more than 3 years old but I don't like to change them till they are between 5 and 6 years old so it was a good investment got me.
 Ridge 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

> Is this code to say you really have NWO 666?

No that's me, dissonance got WTC 911.
 bluebealach 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

Yep, got a little cash when my Gran died and wanted to commemorate my 50th Munro so yes, I bought a cheap one....

Do I have to now hang my head in shamed??
 1poundSOCKS 02 Jan 2014
In reply to bluebealach: Out of almost infinite number of ways to commemorate your 50th Munro, you found the worst.

johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

No you don't have to do anything, as I'm a geek that likes making lists, I was asking if private plate owners wanted to put a UKC list so far we've had:

P O lice
NWO 666

iterations of: ### Dax

WTC 911

I think some of these may be spoofs tho'

maybe someone has:

UKC 1?
 Duncan Bourne 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:
Always thought M1 CAR would be a good one
 simonjb 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

The local potato merchant used to have a very nice big Jag with the reg of POT 80

This was way before every man and his dog now seems to have one, illegally spaced with extra screws to make it read something it isn't....
 Tom Valentine 02 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

Viz has it best: Tw*tplates
 Blue Straggler 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I saw M4 JAM once, on a decent 3-series BMW. On the M4. Which was congested. It was one of those ace little moments. I bet the driver had a bit of daily rush hour commute on the M4 and treated himself to that plate to stop himself going insane (a bit like how I named my house "Troublesome Waters" as it is in a flood risk area and at least that way, I could chuckle if it ever flooded. Which it did. And I did!)
Erm... 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

goin a little faster than i should....got passed by an R6 in scotland... reg read R6 AYE, verry fitting!
 Nigel Thomson 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Erm...:
I worked for a property magnet who previously had a chain of car showrooms which he sold to Arnold Clark for an undisclosed sum.
His Ferrari 458 Spider was 5G, the Aston Valante 6G, the Bentley 9G, the X5 simply STG, Ferrari Califonia 28G and his selection of Range Rovers various other G's prefixed or suffixed with some other low denominational number. Oh, his wife had a lovely Merc SLK500 with SMG.
I think he may have been quite wealthy.
Post edited at 04:01
 Philip 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

The young lad next door has rebuilt a classic mini as his first car. The number plate is NOB <some numbers and a letter>. I asked him if it was personalised He's got a good sense of humour luckily. Apparently the insurance company asked the same question.

A couple of people at work have got Irish plates as they disguise the age. My parents bought number plates with their initials, I can't see the point, their initials are random enough to not make it obvious. It only really works on expensive cars if you want to show off so your friends knows its you parked outside the Dorchester, etc
 fraserbarrett 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I used to live next to a guy who had S10 WER on his porshe 911.....

Never really fancied one, but thought that was ok.
 butteredfrog 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

Local Snap-On dealer has T00 LLS on his van.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I changed my name by deed poll to ARW417S, so I too now have a "cherished" plate...
 Kelcat 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

A friend of mine has had for years; P4TRK, when he turned 50 his wife got him XXX OAP which he put on the car for a year.
 wilkie14c 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to johnj)
>
> I changed my name by deed poll to ARW417S, so I too now have a "cherished" plate...

LOL!

I got one for a christmas present for an ex years ago, CLP 777R <her initials> they are a pain in the arse if you change your car every couple of years as you have to pay to get the original plate back on so you can sell the car then pay again to transfer it to your new car.
 Choss 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:
My Dear old Dead Gran had 'Private plates'. They were kept on display in a glass Cabinet, along with bowls and Other Crockery.

They were only to be used on a Special Occasion when some mythical person came to Dinner. They never did, the plates were never used, and i never found out who the mythical suitable Dinner guest was, for whom the private plates were waiting.

She also had a best room waiting for Someone special as well that never got used either.
Post edited at 08:41
 sbattams 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

We have one in the carpark here at work the boss bought his wife YE51 NAG but spaced YE5 1 NAG.
 Skyfall 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

On the way back from N Wales over New Year I saw an X5 with the following plate which I thought might be an ideal climber's plate:

E3 HVS
In reply to johnj:
Working in Canary Wharf, I see a lot of private plates (personally have zero interest...seems a bit narcissistic to me...but anyway)
Porsche 911s are very susceptible to the private plate because they look so similar (i.e a 2009 model looks the same as a 2013 model to most essex girls) A private plate hides the age perfectly and can conceal the fact you havent paid £100k for a brand new 911 but £30k for a 5 yr old model.

An options trader near me drives a Ferrari with the plates BI VOL. Pretty poor attempt at trying to sound cool...probably gets a few nods driving around the wharf but meaningless to 99.9% of us.

My personal favourite though is the owner of a pet food wharehouse near me. He drives a chrome Range rover sport with G 5P0T as a plate. I struggle to wonder who would be impressed by that...but he seems blissfully unaware what most people are thinking when they see him in it.
Post edited at 10:00
 mike123 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:
since the following would be illegal i m probably just making it up. a couple of months ago i called round at a tenants house to check on a breakage after they had a "disagreement", they are really nice and were completly honest about what had happened. she works at a car dealership and leaned up in the cellar were two plates she had had made up for him to show her love.
BE 11 END
i so wanted to blue tac them to my old bosses car.
 Rubbishy 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:
One of the farmers round my village had the plate S115DEN on his pick up full of dead sheep.

Post edited at 11:00
 jopy 03 Jan 2014
In reply to John Rushby:

Huh?
 Chris Harris 03 Jan 2014
In reply to jopy:

Presumably referring to the small town of Silsden, West Yorkshire.
 bluebealach 03 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Out of almost infinite number of ways to commemorate your 50th Munro, you found the worst.

I didn't say that it was the 'only' way I commemorated that particular milestone!!

winhill 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Dax H:

> They disguise the age of the vans very well, a lot of my customers look down their noses if a van or car is more than 3 years old but I don't like to change them till they are between 5 and 6 years old so it was a good investment got me.

Always thought this was a weird way to judge a company - who do they think is paying for all the new vans?
Cambridge-Climber 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj: My mum always told me that I shouldn't let my scout leader / teacher / uncle / priest / Radio 1 DJ touch my private plate...

peewee2008 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I've seen several plates around ranging from V1-14 WAD none of the drivers of the cars looked capable of such feats.
Jim C 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I know a chap who has a plate that is the exact initials of the local football team.
( he brought it up to Scotland from down South decades ago , so it was coincidence , not a deliberate purchase. )

I asked him how many times over the many years he had driven around the area, he had been approached by Directors or fans of the club to sell the plates( or the car)

He replied that he had never been approached, and I was the first person to mention it which I thought was rather sad for the club.
( I don't follow football myself)

Babika 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

my mate has E3 HVS and E3 HVD on his cars - you'll often see them parked around crags.

And I have my name RO51 plus surname as I do spell it Rosi and always have done. When the 51 plate came out it was cheap and seemed a bit of fun.

No big deal - personal preference.
johnj 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Babika:

> my mate has E3 HVS and E3 HVD on his cars - you'll often see them parked around crags.

> And I have my name RO51 plus surname as I do spell it Rosi and always have done. When the 51 plate came out it was cheap and seemed a bit of fun.

> No big deal - personal preference.

Eyup, no it's not a big deal, we all choose what we want to spend our spare cash on
 FesteringSore 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

The late Prince William of Gloucester had an aircraft, the registration of which reflected his name. It was G-AWOG
 mp3ferret 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:
I work in the motor trade and have seen 1 reg that stood out above all others : PEN15. Was on a merc a few years ago - seem to remember someone saying its on a porsche now - which fits.
Post edited at 16:54
 Firestarter 03 Jan 2014
In reply to mp3ferret:

I've seen two cars parked by the river in Chelsea, one is 2BOR, the other NOT2B
 Cardi 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

Saw one in Pembrokshire the other day with W4LES
 Deri Jones 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:
There are a few that are quite amusing - BU11 BLK (On the Landie of the president of the Welsh Black Cattle Society), the trucks for the local waste disposal company in Aber, which are all POO and PEE related.
I've always though that you're better being anonymous in the car, an ex boss of mine claimed he was victimised by the police for speeding, which was quite amusing when he drove around in a Volvo T5 with the reg DON XX on the back, pretty distinctive!
In reply to johnj:

Urban legend that someone in California thought it would be clever to get 'None' as their registration. The idea being that if they ever got a ticket the registration number would be filled in as 'None'.

Problem was they got 1,000 tickets in the first week as the tickets for every car that didn't have plates in the state were sent to them.
johnj 04 Jan 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Urban legend that someone in California thought it would be clever to get 'None' as their registration. The idea being that if they ever got a ticket the registration number would be filled in as 'None'.

> Problem was they got 1,000 tickets in the first week as the tickets for every car that didn't have plates in the state were sent to them.

LOL
 Mr Lopez 04 Jan 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Not exactly 'None', but apparently true

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp
 John_Hat 04 Jan 2014
In reply to mp3ferret:

> seem to remember someone saying its on a porsche now - which fits.

Got passed on the motorway by a porsche with B451 ARD ("Bast@rd" with a bit of tweaking), which made me laugh.
 Richard Carter 04 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I saw a black Rangerover on the motorway with "M15 SPY"
In reply to johnj:

I'll own up to having a private plate. While going through an early midlife crisis and buying a two seater sports car I decided what it needed to go with it was a private plate that reads 'F1' followed by my initials.

Alex Slipchuk 05 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

NE14 5EX
NE14 4BJ
NE14 ....

2014 will be a good year
Donnie 05 Jan 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

> Do I have to now hang my head in shamed??

yup
 chris fox 05 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I'd rather pay for private Pilates !!!!
In reply to johnj:
Well off topic but I was passed the other day by a beautiful silver Merc SLK roadster with Reg F1 LCH - does Lewis really need private plates? PS Is there a website you can trace regs?
johnj 05 Jan 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I know you can find the make and model from a private plate, for example if you went into a motor shop and wanted a part for the car, but I don't think these details tell you the owner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...