UKC

Southern Sandstone today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SimonCRMC 03 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Yikes indeed. It's certainly southern, but are you sure it's sandstone?!
OP woolsack 03 Jan 2014
In reply to SimonCRMC:

Sand held together by rain
 Trangia 03 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

It's sandstone all right. The biggest sandstone cliff in the South at Hastings.

I found out about it too late to get down to see it but from the film it looks like a very large section has gone which may include some of the climbs in Southern Sandstone sea cliffs (p344 to 347).

I will try and get down there tomorrow or Monday. Major storm going on here right now and high tide soon, which may breach the A259 on the sea front.
 Bulls Crack 03 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Water
 Tom Last 03 Jan 2014
 Tom Last 03 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

The area appears to be beyond the E1 Norman Corner, so hooray, all the routes still exist! Form an orderly queue then...
OP woolsack 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

It needs pressure washing with resin
 Tom Last 03 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Good idea!
 Trangia 04 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I went down to look at it today. A very large section of the cliff face about 100m wide has toppled leaving an almost smooth pristine new face with a most unstable top. The slope under the base is heavily gouged and covered by fresh debris and sand running down into the sea. The section that fell has shattered into small boulders and rocks with a lot of loose sand. It was half tide when I went so I'm not certain if it's still possible to traverse along the base at low tide, but this is likely to be quite risky until things have settled down a bit due to the unstable nature of the top and large cracks into the adjoining faces which might also collapse at any time.

The grassy top is absolutely saturated right now
 Tom Last 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Primed for an ascent of Reasons To Be Fearful then!
 Trangia 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Primed for an ascent of Reasons To Be Fearful then!

Someone was asking on another thread yesterday how you can be certain that your first ascent really is a "first ascent"?

Here is your opportunity.

Looks about E999 7a, but could be a tad harder in the continuous rain we are experiencing....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...