UKC

Getting Back Into Computing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lowersharpnose 05 Jan 2014
I used to be in software development, but have been doing other things for the last ten years. I have started mucking about with Python for some little projects and realise I quite miss it (creating programs to solve problems). Had years of SQL, fortran, C, Visual Basic in a variety of application areas.

To get back into computing, I need to get some up to date work experience.

Any suggestions how I could get some experience?

I would be prepared to work for free for a couple of months.
johnj 05 Jan 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Genuine offer, if you could, build a software application to monitor vibration, rpm, pressure, temperature, air flow, oil flow, and plot these onto a x y graph in real time for a 5 second test run. There's an unpaid project I'm involved with that needs doing, obviously once the system is developed the job pays money.
johnj 05 Jan 2014
only the rpm and vibration would need plotting on the x y graph in real time, the other sensor readings are used as variables to allow the test run to take place.
Post edited at 12:55
In reply to johnj:

What would it run on?

How would it get its data?

What language?

It is the sort of thing I can do.
 mattrm 05 Jan 2014

Work on open source projects which need help. Pick ones that are on github. If you can program well in C and know SQL well, there's lots of stuff out there what would need help.

Lots of people hire based on github profiles these days.
johnj 05 Jan 2014

> What would it run on?

A desktop pc connected to some form of sensor array and or plc

> How would it get its data?

from the sensors via most suitable port either usb or separate plug in card, not yet investigated

> What language?

doesn't matter as long as the system can communicate with the sensors and plc

> It is the sort of thing I can do.

mattrm 05 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

I do this sort of thing for work as well. I find that python and R work well. Python for the data capture and R for the data analysis.
johnj 05 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:
Cheers, sorry to lowersharpnose also I'm not trying to hijack the thread, thanks is good advise, what I'm slowly putting together is commercially available on the market by several venders, however for what the machine does and the price they want it's very expensive, i.e cheapest old booter of a well used machine is around 10K, I've operated most of the machines out there and they all run on windows, which I'd rather stay away from for the obvious reasons.
Post edited at 13:32
Simos 05 Jan 2014

If you wanted to do a couple of months of training I could probably give you some small projects to get you back into it. It'd be web-based, PHP/MySQL and front-end (HTML/CSS/JS).

Couple of disclaimers just to be upfront:

- I don't have much time to help/explain things unfortunately so you'll have to be a self-starter and prepared to work most things out yourself.

- I won't be able to pay for the initial 'training period' but if you are doing really well and of course assuming you'd be interested too, we could potentially continue working together after the training period (paid but on a freelance basis).

- Worst case scenario for you, you get some decent references (assuming they're truthful of course).

If you are interested give me a shout!
 crayefish 05 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

> A desktop pc connected to some form of sensor array and or plc

> from the sensors via most suitable port either usb or separate plug in card, not yet investigated

> doesn't matter as long as the system can communicate with the sensors and plc

We do plenty of that and always use LabView as it's very powerful and relatively easy to build monitor and acquisition VIs. Though an NI box to connect to the PC isn't cheap, though old 2-4 channel analogue boxes could no doubt be found cheap secondhand. Easy to find the software on *ahem* torrent sites.
johnj 05 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks will look into that.
 elsewhere 05 Jan 2014

If you can claim that your C was really C++ that means you have up to date (ie OO) experience relevant to mobile/tablet/phone apps in Objective-C & Java for iOS & Android respectively. That might make you interesting for employment agencies.
 duchessofmalfi 05 Jan 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

Raspberry PI + phidgets
 crayefish 05 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

If you get really stuck...

My friend actually wrote a LabView program with all of that for a two stage compressor rig she was working on. Real time and logged monitoring including FFT of the vibration input (using a velocimeter as it was more accurate than a accelerometer of the given price and g-range) and a whole bunch of pressure and temperature monitors.

I doubt she'd part with many months of work for free, but if you're desperate I am sure a wine based contribution would persuade her to part with it.
johnj 05 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> If you get really stuck...

> My friend actually wrote a LabView program with all of that for a two stage compressor rig she was working on. Real time and logged monitoring including FFT of the vibration input (using a velocimeter as it was more accurate than a accelerometer of the given price and g-range) and a whole bunch of pressure and temperature monitors.

> I doubt she'd part with many months of work for free, but if you're desperate I am sure a wine based contribution would persuade her to part with it.

Once again sorry to lowersharpnose for this hijack but with a bit of fine tuning this is exactly what I'm looking for, I understand everything has it's price so I'm always willing to trade or pay a fair price. If you could mail me her contact details or if you'd like to mail me through the forum, maybe there's something we can work out here. Cheers and I'll leave this thread for the lowersharpnose to explore what's out there on the job market.
In reply to johnj:

No problem at all, looks like you may have what you are after.
In reply to mattrm:

Thanks for that idea.
In reply to Simos:

Thanks, I am interested, I will email later when I get home.
needvert 05 Jan 2014

Linux is written in C (mostly), make some contributions there and it'll look really good.

Keep with the python, maybe make contributions to saltstack as that's a rapidly maturing project with a lot of momentum.
 itsThere 06 Jan 2014

Get a CV up on monster jobs, people will search it for the keywords. I get stuff like this though my email. If you want the rest of it let me know. Also as others have said Github and linux.

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year itsThere,

I tried to call this morning but couldn’t get through, I am currently looking for a Linux C++ Engineer to join a R&D team in Kent.

Technical Knowledge and Experience required:

· Embedded software engineer - to continue development on an Embedded Linux system

· C++

· Linux experience

· Experience with Mobile, PC, Telecommunications systems will be an advantage

· Experience with ARM Core processors will be an advantage

This is a permanent role starting ASAP, can you give me a call or email me your updated CV and I will call you discuss further.
 1234None 06 Jan 2014

Have sent you an email with some info about a company I used to work for. They could probably offer something.
In reply to 1234None:

Big cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...