UKC

Best Winter Baselayers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craig1983 05 Jan 2014
What are peoples recommendations for winter baselayers? Been looking at both the Helly Hansen Warms and maybe Rab MeCo 165 so far.
 martinph78 05 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

I'm interested in hearing more about the HH warms also. I've got my eye on these having been very impressed with their Dry range.
 Mountain Llama 05 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983: Been using the hellly Hanson dry for summer and winter for years. Find they wick well and not to warm. I run hot.

HTH Davey

DaveHK 05 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:
If you don't sweat much then Decathlon Merino (or any Merino) is excellent. If you are a sweaty git (like me) synthetic is better. I'm still on some old Patagonia Capilene which works fine for me.
Post edited at 18:01
 UKH Forums 06 Jan 2014
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 thedatastream 06 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

MeCo stuff is really nice, a good compromise between synthetic and merino and it wicks well and dries fast. The Rab 165 top gets good press as a quality winter baselayer.
 neilwiltshire 06 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

I wear Helly Hansen Warm. Very good, highly recommend it. Nice and warm, thin and light, comfortable, and wicks very well.

I don't have a basis of comparison though I'm afraid as its all I've ever used.
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Arcteryx Phase Layers are good
Come in 3 weights warm stretchy and last well.
Decent prices if u shop around I prefer the Ar tops
Sv is to warm/heavy for my liking

Some of the Sherpa zip tops pretty good also
Again I've seen them go for £20 in sale.
 GridNorth 06 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

Best in what respect? Wicking, warmth, comfort.

I use power stretch for warmth but prefer polyester for wicking and general all round use. Both are reasonably comfortable. I've never really rated Merino, it seems to fit somewhere between the two but takes an age to dry when washed.

I also find that tops made by Nike, Puma, Adidas etc. work just as well and cost half as much as those with mountaineering manufacturer logos.
OP craig1983 06 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

HH Warms on 1/2 price offer on Field and Trek...job done
 BnB 06 Jan 2014
In reply to craig1983:

Brynje mesh gives the best balance of warmth and dry comfort. http://www.nordiclifeuk.co.uk/

Wear it tight for extra efficiency and then double up as a cage dancer.

I got a mesh tee shirt in my stocking, early experiments are promising: no more getting cold on belays, nor freezing in nightclub queues as I can now pretend to be on the payroll.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...