UKC

How heigh is Ben Udlaidh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Webster 06 Jan 2014
approximately what altitude is the bottom and top of most of the routes at Ben Udlaidh? im wondering what freezing level to look out for in the forecats to start forming the ice routes there?
Tim Chappell 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:

I suggest you check Kinder Downfall at the same time
Tim Chappell 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:
Oh all right, a proper answer--http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=624
Post edited at 17:25
 IanMcC 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:

The lowest tier is about 600m (Central Gully)The main climbs are at between 650- 750 meters approximately. A sustained hard frost over several days is usually needed.
Nearest webcam: http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/
 CurlyStevo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:
Really you are looking for ground frosts to sea level each night for nearly a week for routes there to come in (I'm sure routes can come in if the freezing level is under 600 metres for long enough though). Basically conditions there right now will be pish! Once its formed its a bit more resilient to temp fluctuations but it doesn't take very long of very mild wet thaw for it to fall down!

The base of the routes are around 650 metres.
Post edited at 17:40
 LakesWinter 06 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah, a 400m day time freezing level and night frosts for around a week is needed in general, though it can be shorter if there has already been a spell of severe cold in the winter. there hasn't been such a spell yet this year.
OP Webster 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:

Thanks (for the helpfull responses!)

Tim no need for the sarcasm, we are both much further north and (i assumed) it was quite a bit heigher than Kinder as UKC says 840m (i did look before posting!). It just didnt specify if that was the bottom or the top of the crag...so guessing that the routes may have had a base of somewhere between 750-850m, it was perfectly valid to wonder if anything may have formed, or may form with a relatively short cold spell, considering the amount of snow there alreay is at that altitude.

But now i know what to look out for, thanks
Tim Chappell 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:
Not sarcasm, a running UKC joke. Also, I did give you a helpful answer: have you looked at the log book section of this site? If not, you should.
Post edited at 21:01
In reply to Webster:

Over a weeks frost and clear blue skies!

Another observation that I've made, it always forms best when snow covers the ground, before the weeks+ frosts arrive!! Otherwise only the 'usual' routes form.

Stuart
 Milesy 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Webster:

I found for udlaidh from experience and knowledge on here that if my front grass is completely solid it is worth going for a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...