UKC

climbing shoe stickiness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gunbo 06 Jan 2014
Hey folks bought new climbing shoes on the weekend what is the best way to keep them sticky? My old ones had worn out in the toes so I tried various methods to make them stickier from roughing up with sand paper and cleaning with thinners/methaleted spirit and warming up did not seem to make any diffrence. I've seeen people hanging shoes off one another how do they get that much friction and stick
 SteveoS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to gunbo:

Magnets!

I use warm soapy water.
OP gunbo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

I kept myold ones clean and grime free and wiped them down after each outing was wondering if that was was ok thanks for reply
 Hillseeker 06 Jan 2014
In reply to gunbo:

Also you can "squeak" your shoes. Before each climb clean the toe area carefully with a bit of spit then rub them dry and rub hard with your thumb so that they Squeak.
 alooker 06 Jan 2014
In reply to toasted:

As toasted said, squeak them! They work better and stops extra grime getting on the rock.
OP gunbo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to gunbo:

I usually carry a clean beer towel to wipe the soles off snd stand on bevore climbing ill try spit the next time im out.
Simos 06 Jan 2014
In reply to gunbo:

Warm soapy water seem to have improved grip on mine (ok ok I admit, I just showered with them lol). I think you need to be careful not to use hot water though as it can damaged them.

Pro tip: don't chuck them on the bath mat after you are done as the colour will bleed on the mat and you will have some explaining to do
OP gunbo 06 Jan 2014
In reply to gunbo:

Yeah after some wet trad sessions my feet have been right orange my new ones are bright yellow oh dear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...