UKC

New climbing routes due to storms?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Turner 07 Jan 2014
Not been down there to play but does this now mean more/new climbing opportunities at Porthcothan?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25639777

CurlyStevo 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Duncan Turner:

The force of the sea needed to move that amount of rock boggles the mind!
 Rog Wilko 07 Jan 2014

Are you sure this hasn't been photoshopped?
 Babika 07 Jan 2014
Good lord!

I wonder if my own favourite Flimston Stack in Flimstone Bay at Pembroke has survived.

A really good fun 50foot HS seastack but totally sea washed for half the time.
 Bulls Crack 07 Jan 2014

I presume this is no more?! http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=209780
 Kevster 07 Jan 2014

might clean up some loose rock at swanage too.....

I wonder how far up the cliffs the waves were going.
 gethin_allen 07 Jan 2014

Looks like a few photography tricks going on there. The angles are all slightly different to make it look like a lot of rock has moved. Eg. The third set, the after photo is taken from lower down so you can only see the top of the building
 cuppatea 07 Jan 2014

If we get a big freeze anytime soon there's going to be a lot of new rock on the beaches.
 Graeme Hammond 07 Jan 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Looks like a few photography tricks going on there. The angles are all slightly different to make it look like a lot of rock has moved. Eg. The third set, the after photo is taken from lower down so you can only see the top of the building

looks like they match up to me, looking at the position of the railing which remain the same while the the remains of the building look completely different to the top of the building in the first shop. Plus you can see the top of the pier in the 2nd one which you wouldn't if it was taken from a lower angle
 gethin_allen 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
Only the second and fourth look like true comparisons to me. In the first set the after photo is taken from way off to the left of where the before photo was. And the photo of Aberystwyth shows to different bits of the seafront. The bandstand in the before photos is one of the few things that survived, the after photo was probably taken from behind the little shelter in the background of the before picture. This shelter was partially destroyed when the foundations at the one end were washed out.
Scrap that first bit, looking at it differently it just looks Photoshoped.
Post edited at 19:16
 Rob Parsons 07 Jan 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Only the second and fourth look like true comparisons to me. In the first set the after photo is taken from way off to the left of where the before photo was. ...

Are you kidding? Let's not quibble over 'angles' from which the photos are taken: either that first photo is completely faked, or a hell of a lot of rock has gone. I don't know which.
 Michael Gordon 07 Jan 2014

Wow! Not sure why folk are so sceptical?
OP Duncan Turner 08 Jan 2014

Not sure about the photoshop - I would have thought BBC would corroborate what they put online, and I can well imagine that it might be possible given the other devastation around the UK!
 jkarran 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Why photoshop what the sea has been doing for eons? Looks pretty convincing to me, I'm not sure why anyone would doubt it. You can see evidence of the faults bounding the collapse in the before picture.

jk
 Toerag 08 Jan 2014

PomPom rock looks so much bigger on the BBC page!
 Rog Wilko 08 Jan 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Sorry, forgot to add the irony icon.

> Not been down there to play but does this now mean more/new climbing opportunities at Porthcothan?

Fewer, I'd have thought. There seems to be rather less cliff than there used to be.

jcm

Where has the cliff rock gone. It looks like a big alien has scooped it out and removed the rubble altogether.
 Phil79 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Where has the cliff rock gone. It looks like a big alien has scooped it out and removed the rubble altogether.

There's a big pile of rubble lying in the sea in front and inshore of where the rock arch previously was, I guess the rest is either behind the rock or out of shot?
In reply to Phil79:
> There's a big pile of rubble lying in the sea in front and inshore of where the rock arch previously was, I guess the rest is either behind the rock or out of shot?

I think the rubble you can see in the 'after' picture is not rubble at all but the base rock for the cliff which is simply not exposed due to the difference in tide point. Look at the pinnacle in the fore-middle ground to see the difference in the tide.

Either way, we need first hand pictures to be sure and I am confident that some UKCers live nearby and will hop along to have a butchers.
Post edited at 13:17
 Jimbo C 08 Jan 2014

Talking of Porthcothan, it's not unusual for rock to collapse there. You see that stack in the lower left of the images, that also used to be an arch. We had many family holidays there in the 80s and 90s and were quite sad to see the arch gone one year.
 Phil79 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

No, its clearly rubble, its too angular and fragments are too small to be the surrounding bedrock. The bedrock that you can see sticking up elsewhere on the beach is noticeable smoother and isn't surrounded by small fragments.

If it was there in the 'before' picture but covered by water, you would still see some of it sticking up and also the obvious wash as you do with the pinnacle and rocks in the foreground.

WTF I'm arguing about this I don't know - what do you think happened to it all, an actual alien stole it!?

Wave buoys on Monday morning were indicating 28ft swell at Sennen, one of the biggest storm swells we seen in years, and in a winter with plenty of other big storms, why is it so inconceivable to some on here that bits of cliff have subsequently fallen into the sea??
 JonathanJones 08 Jan 2014

I see Matt's dilema on Pom Pom rock is on someones wish list.. gutted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...