UKC

Warm and Wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 07 Jan 2014
I don't even winter climb but I am feeling sorry for you guys who do.

How consistently not cold has this winter been?

I was thinking maybe it was unprecedented but then realised it hit like 19c febuary 2012. Don't think kinder will be in this year .
 DaveHK 07 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Eh? There's been some decent conditions in Scotland.
 Michael Gordon 07 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Yes it's been a poor season so far (especially first half of December). Still better than having to go to the indoor wall!

11/12 was also poor but then 09/10, 10/11 and 12/13 were superb so can't complain too much.
OP FreshSlate 07 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Has there? Well that's something. I'm down in manchester and I remember it being a lot colder last year. Should have at least seen a bit of snow here by now or something... Bonfire night should be getting a little frosty but I can't remember the temperature going below zero this winter. Just keeps raining.
 Jamie B 07 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

It's a bit early to evaluate the season.
 Joak 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Tis a good thing, I'm pretty sure mother nature sits in wait for all the gloom and doom merchants to pronounce "Another pish winter" before flicking the winter switch on and proving all the doubters wrong, again!!
OP FreshSlate 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

How long is the season in your books?

I really do hope this is some sort of good omen post.
 Kimono 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Am i the only one slightly turned on by the thread title??
 Red Rover 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

We get this every year round about now when we get to new year without a huge snowfall all across England. Plenty of time yet.
 CurlyStevo 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Winter season can go well in to may on the ben some years.

The higher Scottish hills are loaded with a lot more snow than is usual for the time of year. This is generally a good sign for later in the season as once you have enough snow to survive the thaw, when it does thaw its converted in to near freezing water that very rapidly forms ice when it does go back below freezing.

For me the best winter climbing season I had living in Scotland was about 6 or 7 years back, it was a crap season until mid feb and then it was awesome on the Ben for the second half of feb, whole of March, most of April (very fat ice even on the thin ice routes, clear sunny skies, temps only just below freezing, little wind, hard neve etc)
 crayefish 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> Am i the only one slightly turned on by the thread title??

Yeah I look at this thread with eager hoping it was some Nigella based thread but alas...
 Jamie B 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> How long is the season in your books?

Last season winter climbing ran (for me) from 26th October to 30th April, so 6 months sometimes!

ScraggyGoat 08 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The current conditions are on the verge of resulting in a potentially very good winter conditions, large accumulations of snow in the corries, good cover on the tops, and wind blowing snow into all sorts of nooks and crannies. Early thaws have saturated and cooled the ground and turf.

Intermittent weak thaw cycles which havn't been too drastic, have allowed ice to form from snow melt on some low'ish venues that are rarely in good nick. While highest aspects have suffered minimal melt and await consolidation, and stabilisation. If we hadn't had the strong winds and poor visability over christmas and new year allowing large numbers to get out and see this for themselves everyone would be universally positive.

Weatherwise we will of course get what we get, irrespective of internet pontification, but its far from doom and gloom at the moment in fact its the exact opposite..
Philipe28 08 Jan 2014
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
Have you been out recently? If so where and how was it? I agree it could well be great ahead, but I haven't yet been out and have slight concerns regarding high temps and av risk. Due up Northern Cairngoms tomorrow wondering if it's worth the visit yet?
Post edited at 13:06
 ScraggyGoat 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Philipe28:

Out on the west over the new year, and last w/e good neve 800 to 950m 'ish on exposed aspects. Reports from Northern corries had plenty of buttress routes done last w/e, other things done on Lochnagaar, Dubhloch ect. The freezing levels this week have been hovering around freezing so might well be good for consolidation, I can't say sitting here at my desk if they have warmed up too much and stripped the crags of hoar, or if the slightly warmer temps allowed the snowpack to stabilse and decrease the avalanche risk, improving the gullies. There is certainly enough water in the river flowing past my back-door this week to indicate the cairgorm lower slopes are gradually melting, but no where near enough to suggest a major melt.

I would have thought it would be helping the snow pack stability, but you'd have to look for evidence for this when you get out, and check what others are observing. Still worth thinking about gully exits and higher sheltered slopes that may have spridrift accumulating from the platuea even if the lower crag aprons have settled-in.

Overall definately worth a look, with a range of ideas as to what to go for, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get something safely done in the Northern cairngorms.
In reply to FreshSlate:

At present up here in Torridon it's significantly better than same time last year when there was no snow at all. Tops cleared later today for today for first time since Saturday and despite milder temperatures more snow has hung on than I had thought. Weather getting colder and more settled next week with a bit more snow on the tops towards this weekend.
 AG 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

not been climbing but the skiing has been pretty good in between storms - glencoe esp has more snow than usual for time of year.
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3672,1,1
 johncook 08 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

By this time last year I had been paid £25 of the taxpayers money for the temperature staying below 0* for 7 days in a row!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...