UKC

wot? no stargazing live thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 graeme jackson 07 Jan 2014
How lucky were they tonight? Not only did they have clear skies for once, they also managed to open the show with the Aurora Borealis already on display. I know guys who have spent whole weeks in Norway and never saw the Aurora once !
 kwoods 07 Jan 2014
In reply to graeme jackson:
Great show, really enjoyed it. That woman (I forget her name) talking about Saturn/Titan/Enceladus was brilliant.
Post edited at 23:21
 Paul Evans 08 Jan 2014

They're going to be happy tonight. They schedule a series of programs with the aurora as a strong focus, they get clear skies and a good display in Northern Norway yesterday (Tues) and then an X1 class solar flare kicks off. Lucky so and sos.

Possibility of Northern Lights visible from UK tomorrow (Thurs) eve, I'm up in Northumberland, the forecast is for clear skies and the moon doesn't rise to spoil things until just before midnight. Do I feel lucky punk? (oh sorry that's the other thread).

Paul
In reply to Paul Evans:
> Possibility of Northern Lights visible from UK tomorrow (Thurs) eve, I'm up in Northumberland, the forecast is for clear skies and the moon doesn't rise to spoil things until just before midnight.

cheers. will try to head into the countryside if it stays clear up here in scotlandshire (wish i was back in northumberland tho)
 kipper12 08 Jan 2014

Can I sneak a question in here, as we may get the odd astronomer looking in:

When the James Webb telescope is launched would it be possible to use the JWT and the HST for some optical very long base line interferometery.

I dimly recall from my A level physics (Im a biologist by trade) that resolution is related to the distance between teh two (or more) receivers so we ought to get better images.

I presume this is not really a starter or someone would have thought of this already.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...