UKC

Bunkhouse in aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattrm 08 Jan 2014
Looking for a cheap bed for this coming Saturday night in Aviemore. Any suggestions / recommendations?
 d_b 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Aviemore SYHA is very good.
 JohnnyW 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Just booked my bed at the SYHA for Sat night. Always stop there. Handy for the après piste
OP mattrm 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
I've just booked a bed as well for Saturday night. Thanks for the recommendation.
Post edited at 13:28
 cfdouglas 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

The Bunkhouse in Aviemore was reasonably cheap when last I visited. It is handy for the pub. Really handy.
 lpretro1 08 Jan 2014
In reply to riseabove0835:

We found the Bunkhouse by the pub to be a dump. Noisy, not very cheap and poor facilities. Kitchen was very dirty and there were few utensils. Basically they want you to use the pub for eating - and that's not cheap either. We complained about it but got no reply. YHA at least have beeter standards
 Tony the Blade 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

If you have any military connections, I'd recommend Rothiemurchus Lodge. Cheap as chips and the nearest lodge to the hill (it took us less than 15 mins to get to Lairig Ghru)

http://www.rothiemurchus.co.uk/
 JohnnyW 08 Jan 2014
In reply to lpretro1:

> We found the Bunkhouse by the pub to be a dump. Noisy, not very cheap and poor facilities. Kitchen was very dirty and there were few utensils. Basically they want you to use the pub for eating - and that's not cheap either. We complained about it but got no reply. YHA at least have beeter standards

Absolutely agree. On one of the few times I decided to not use the SYHA (Life Member y'see), I used that one, and experienced exactly that, as well as cold showers! When I complained after coming down freezing after a challenging day's climbing, he replied, 'we are busy, and you are late. Best get down earlier if you want a hot shower'! And I had to go into the pub to get him.....
OP mattrm 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Absolutely agree. On one of the few times I decided to not use the SYHA (Life Member y'see), I used that one, and experienced exactly that, as well as cold showers! When I complained after coming down freezing after a challenging day's climbing, he replied, 'we are busy, and you are late. Best get down earlier if you want a hot shower'! And I had to go into the pub to get him.....

Nearly booked that place, glad I didn't.

Is the Cairngorm Hotel a nice pub / place to get a meal?
 mrbird 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Aye mate. Try the haggis lasagne starter.
 Mark020 08 Jan 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Also agree!

Trying to get 2 beds last minute last year and it was the only place that had space.

Firstly the guy wouldn't let my mate book me a bed because we were turning up at different times (I still have no idea what the reason behind this is)so I had to phone straight back and book my own bed.

Confirmed they had a drying room - yep that's no problem. Rocked up and met the guy no problem, asked him where the drying room was. "Its through the door behind you". In I go - might as well have been a fridge! Massive sign inside - Drying Room Out Of Order, Sorry For The Inconvenience. Could he not have mentioned it!

Probably the noisiest place I've stayed with paper thin walls.

Just found the whole experience a bit odd...

Cheers,
Mark

cfdouglas 08 Jan 2014
In reply to lpretro1:

Was a good few years back mind and cheaper than the syha at the time. Was just grateful for the proximity after a few pints on thistleycross mostly
 Tim Davies 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Another post to confirm the disgusting nature of the bunkhouse. Filthy kitchen, worse rooms. Nothing good to say about it. Paid, dried my kit, left without stsying the night.
 Roguevfr 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Tim Davies:

I stayed there in May last year and had nothing to complain about, 4 - beds in a room, clean , comfortable and an en-suite shower/bathroom.
Definately not as discussed above in my experience .

Rod
 veteye 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Roguevfr:

My main complaint is that the kitchen at the bunkhouse is far too cramped.Not enough room to fit half the people it should be able to deal with.
 JohnnyW 08 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> Is the Cairngorm Hotel a nice pub / place to get a meal?

I only eat there once in a blue moon as I'm tight, but will be drinking in there Fri and Sat night for definite, always do, (apart from an occasional mosey up to the Owl). Look for a chap with out-dated sideburns, and say hello!
 NottsRich 09 Jan 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Is £17/night standard fare for bunkhouses around Aviemore? The ones around Snowdonia I tended to use until about 3 years ago were closer to £10/night.
 Mr. Lee 09 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I often use the Tipsy Laird bunkhouse in Kingussie. It's obviously a bit less convenient for the Northern Corries but it is nearly always empty and generally difficult to fault. That said, when I last stayed in November I was in the room immediately on the left as you entered. There was an annoying tapping sound coming from within the walls. I never got a chance to mention it to management because I was away early to climb. Maybe ask for a differnet room if the tapping is still present, unless you are into Japanese torture methods! Otherwise generally all good.
 JohnnyW 09 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

They haven't been that cheap for a good few years, and especially not in the honeypot areas, or at popular times.

£17 is a good rate
 Michael Gordon 09 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Yes, £17 is standard fare. It's not a good rate but not a bad one either.
OP mattrm 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:
The YHA was really good in the end. Only annoying bit was the people who decided to have a shower at 0200.

The Cairngorm Hotel was nice. Good food and beer.

Great weekend all in. Thanks for the suggestions gents.
Post edited at 21:34
 Only a hill 15 Jan 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

To put forward a different experience, I've always stayed at the bunkhouse next to the Old Bridge Inn and have always found it a great place to stay!
 lpretro1 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Suppose it all depends on what you conditions you are used to...
 Ramblin dave 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Yeah, my experience of the place was fine as well.
snoopdawg 18 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I'm a fan of the bunkhouse as well, having stayed 10+ times, however I,ll qualify that by saying never again would I stay on a weekend which I find attracts a stag party type who turns in around 4am, any other time is perfect.

The price was £19 per night when I was last there in may 2013
 Jerry67 19 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Just stayed two nights in the Old Bridge bunkhouse. Room was fine, shower was hot, great pub next door. Drying room was poor, none of my kit was anywhere near dry this morning. Overall, I'd recommend the place, just not if it's raining!
 d_b 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

it never rains in scotland!
 Misha 21 Jan 2014
In reply to mattrm:
Another option is the b&b style accommodation at the Loch Insh water sports centre, which is a few miles (10 mins drive) south of a Aviemore. Stayed there last weekend. The rooms are small but clean and have en suite facilities plus tea/coffee in the room. Decent drying room.

Breakfast is included but is from 8 (we didn't ask if it's possible to get it earlier) and there are no self catering facilities. That's the only downside really.

We booked a 4 bed room and it worked out about £18ppn so same as all the other places but with breakfast included if you can afford to wait for it.

www.lochinsh.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...