UKC

Renting a room short term

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2014
Has anyone got experience of renting a room for short periods?

I've heard you can rent out to actors on tour, which sounds like a plan, but I wondered if there were other ways to make some cash out of a (big, nice) spare room that don't involve renting the thing out full time?

I have tried getting a Monday-Friday lodger and failed, and I really need the cash. But I can't face having a flatmate who's going to move in with their whole life (i.e. friends, relationships, hobbies, blah blah), it needs to be someone with a life elsewhere who's just staying at my place for work or whatever.

Any ideas welcome!
 Bob Hughes 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

have you tried air bnb

http://www.airbnb.co.uk
 Cheese Monkey 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yup I work all over country and just use cheapest air bnb or actual if I dont kip in van
OP Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Cheers, interesting.
andymac 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thinking of this myself.

Got a room lying vacant.

Quandary is finding someone you can trust ,and basically give the run of the house.

Suppose I could set up some trap doors.
 dmetcalfe 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I use spareroom.com and speak to them before. You can choose the length of rent and price
 deepsoup 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> I've heard you can rent out to actors on tour

Traditionally the way to do this is to contact the local theatre(s) and ask to be put on their 'digs list'. I imagine digs are largely sorted online, via Facebook and the like these days (my own experience of theatre digs is largely pre-internet, so ancient history), but it still couldn't hurt to give it a try.
OP Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Cheers, yes I've contacted them. There are online sites that take a commission, and the actor I spoke to about this didn't say she used the online sites, so I'll see if the theatres' lists come up with anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...