UKC

need a new compact camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian.Hogg 08 Jan 2014
Had a Panasonic Lumix around 5 years old, cost around £200. Flash stopped working , and very slow when you press the button before it takes a photo.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please for a lightweight camera, good for mountains & scenery , with a quick response time. Cost limit is probably around £350 ish new.

Is it worth getting wifi built in, does it download photos straight to a PC?
 Ross McGibbon 08 Jan 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

Bought a Fuji XF1 for my wife as they are very cheap right now (I paid £129) and it is not only beautiful but it takes very nice pictures and I am jealous. Does great point and shoot but has full exposure control and does RAW too.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

> Bought a Fuji XF1 for my wife as they are very cheap right now (I paid £129) and it is not only beautiful but it takes very nice pictures and I am jealous. Does great point and shoot but has full exposure control and does RAW too.

Out of interest where did you get it for that price?

Chris
 Blue Straggler 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

That's (for example) current price at Curry's
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/compact-digital-camera...

Currys. Am trying hard to resist one myself. Just got a Panasonic Lumix G3 from Currys as clearance for £150 (bargain!)as my birthday present before Xmas and seriously considered an XF1 as an alternative when they were £260 in Jessops.
I really don't need two new cameras do I.......?
I can always borrow the wife's - so long as I don't dent it!
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I looked at Amazon earlier today and their lowest price was around £190 - now it is there at £129.99 - which is weird!

Chris
 Mountain Llama 08 Jan 2014
In reply to ianghogg: Which give the Canon 255hs top marks at 81% plus there's 30 cash back VIA canon.

Think this trumps the Fuji fx1 imho

They misjudged the market I think and are having to clear £360 cameras at £130! If they had put a viewfinder on, they might have had a winner.

Did you go straight to Amazon in the first instance, to check price?
I always Google them and then you can either click "Shopping" or, often, the first page of hits will show a useful result (there were plenty at £129.99 but they were "unknown-to-me" web suppliers, but then I saw Curry's). This is not in any way a dig, but hopefully helpful: it took me about 30 seconds from reading your query on here, to posting "Curry's" in a reply

Reviews of the XF1 seem a bit mixed though I think people are obsessing about the "twist the lens to turn on and off".
I am "casually" in the market for a new compact but I am not too bothered about how "pretty" it looks. XF1 doesn't looks destined for much rough-and-tumble. But it DOES look nice!
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, I usually start with Amazon then WEX, though I usually try and buy from Harrison Photo Video in Sheffield.

I'm not in the market for a Fuji. I bought a Sony RX100 in Andorra last year and am very happy with it as my 'portable' camera. Always like to keep a finger on the pulse though ;-0

Chris

You got any old tat for sale soon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...