UKC

12 Years a slave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 08 Jan 2014
Harrowing? - Yes, just as much as Shindlers list. Sometimes a film needs to be made to remind the human race what they are capable of. A must see this year.
SethChili 08 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I really want to see this . It looks excellent .
Have you watched it already ? I thought it was released on Friday the 10th ?
OP wilkie14c 08 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:
I've been a very, very naughty boy
 Dauphin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Me too. It is very good.

D
 Blue Straggler 08 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Is it much much much much better than it's been made to look in the trailer? As the trailer makes it look like a manipulative mawkish cheese-fest....BUT it is a Steve McQueen film and he is usually pretty edgy so I am hoping that it's just a misleading trailer designed to attract the masses to a proper "Gritteh Bafta" type affair....
 Dauphin 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Brutal, with only one maybe two 'Oscar moments'. It's a small step to or from totalitarianism in human nature. Brad Pitt reprises his role from True Romance. Cleaning Products....

How did you get along with Dallas Buyers Club & Out of the Furnace? Apparently OOTF bombed in the states, I thought the trailer terrible but I enjoyed the film.

D
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Not seen (indeed barely heard of - I recall the first one but not the second). I don't get to "art house" or "independent" cinemas as much as I should. Going a bit more mainstream I did manage to find American Hustle to be a bit "meh" though :-/

I guess I will see 12 Years a Slave.

I am mostly looking forward to Spike Jonze's "Her"
In reply to Dauphin:

> How did you get along with Dallas Buyers Club & Out of the Furnace?

Checked imdb. I had heard of OOTF after all. Have they been and gone in the UK already? They never came near my provincial Odeon :-/

I saw "Prisoners" last year and kind of "enjoyed" it but thought "wow, what an uncommercial film" then found that it was no. 1 at the UK box office and had done pretty well in Canada, not sure about USA, but I don't know anyone else that saw it apart from my friend who saw it with me, and a mate in Canada

Dauphin 09 Jan 2014

I have been a very naughty boy. American Hustle indeed meh. I liked it but it thought is was a lot cleverer than is actually was, not sure the cast was used to their best ability. I liked the character development between the players. Scorsese's best film in a decade

D
 winhill 09 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I thought this was about marriage.
In reply to Dauphin:

I thought only 1, maybe 2, characters actually "developed" in AH. But we digress from the "12 Years" topic.
In reply to Dauphin: Brad Pitt reprises his role from True Romance. Cleaning Products....

wasn't it Fight Club where he was the soap salesman?

Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Brad Pitt reprises his role from True Romance. Cleaning Products....

> wasn't it Fight Club where he was the soap salesman?

I think it was a reference to the sofa-bound Pitt in True Romance asking Dick Ritchie to get some cleaning products while he's out.
OP wilkie14c 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

No that was Ed Norton
 Tom Valentine 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Dauphin:
OOTF is a good film but either I am going deaf or it had the mumbliest soundtrack ever; it has always been Stacy Affleck's style but he seems to have infected the entire cast.
 Blue Straggler 22 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Good but not great. 7/10.
Calculated Oscar-bait.
Good acting.
All a tad predictable and obvious (yes yes, there's a "plot spoiler" in the title, I know)
 Kimono 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> OOTF is a good film but either I am going deaf or it had the mumbliest soundtrack ever; it has always been Stacy Affleck's style but he seems to have infected the entire cast.

Sister of Ben and Casey?

Doesn't do so well on imdv but the DBC fares much better so may have a look at that.

Prisoners was super-intense but ultimately a very good movie
OP wilkie14c 22 Jan 2014
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
>
> Good but not great. 7/10.
> Calculated Oscar-bait.
> Good acting.

that is a 5 star review for you, you're gushing!

DaveHK 22 Jan 2014

> I am mostly looking forward to Spike Jonze's "Her"

A colleague saw a preview copy of that and said it was great.
 Blue Straggler 22 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> that is a 5 star review for you, you're gushing!

Yeah 6 of those 7 points were for the trailer for Dallas Buyers' Club actually :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...