UKC

Middle aged spread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 08 Jan 2014
Almost invariably we put on weight as we get older.

Is this simply due to us excercising less as we age or is there some other reason behind the moobs and expanding waistline?

UKB Shark 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I wouldn't say invariably. The grey power Malham contingent are no heavier than 20 years ago.
 Monk 08 Jan 2014

Lifestyle constraints undoubtedly have an influence, but there are also hormonal reasons. Testosterone levels drop consistently from about the age of 25, and lower testosterone makes it harder to gain and retain muscle mass and increases the likelihood of increased fast deposition.
 UKB Shark 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Monk:

> Lifestyle constraints undoubtedly have an influence, but there are also hormonal reasons. Testosterone levels drop consistently from about the age of 25, and lower testosterone makes it harder to gain and retain muscle mass and increases the likelihood of increased fast deposition.

I've had a quick google on this and there might be a mixing of cause and effect

http://www.nebido.com/obesity-is-strongly-linked-to-low-testosterone-levels... suggests

"It is now well known that there is a relationship between low testosterone levels (hypogonadism) and obesity, and the studies presented here confirm that link and show that the relationship is also true in young men who are obese. Previously it was assumed that the decrease in testosterone seen in older men was due to age, but the age-related study showed that the drop in testosterone is actually due to weight gain, and that testosterone levels can recover through weight loss."
Clauso 09 Jan 2014
In reply to shark:

> " ... the drop in testosterone is actually due to weight gain, and that testosterone levels can recover through weight loss."

Impotence clinics everywhere ought to trumpet the line "Lose lard for libido!".

hms 12 Jan 2014
It isn't inevitable at all. I weigh no more now than I did 20+ years ago, despite having had 2 kids in that time. I've always stayed active and eaten sensibly, but i no way puritanically! . I only started climbing at age 40 and in the past 7 years have put on a hell of a lot of muscle, but despite that my overall weight has not increased. The magic formula - do more, eat less!!
 Phil1919 12 Jan 2014

I've lost half a stone over 20 years as I carry less muscle bulk than I used to.
 manwithacam 12 Jan 2014

At 41 I weigh less than I ever have as an adult, about 65kg at 6ft. It depends on how psyched you are! I have an 18 month old lad, dont know if that helps me keep trim or hinders it.
 AlisonSmiles 12 Jan 2014

I'm 45, and two dress sizes smaller than I was ten years ago. Metabolism does slow up as you get older so you have to adjust your calories burned, calories eaten balance a bit. Or exercise more, which is what I tend towards on the rare occasions I'm not injured. As I've got older I'm more fragile and I take longer to mend which is when the weight creeps up. I guess salary is another factor, there's more meals out, fewer meals in consisting of lentils & tomatos ...
 Nutkey 12 Jan 2014
I'm 10lbs heavier than I was seven years ago, but it had never occurred to me to blame this on anything other than reduced exercise due to having kids and thus lack of training time. What I do put down to age is increased incidence of injuries - this might be partly down to overdoing the training build up when I have a big event, but it's indisputable that your body loses elasticity as it gets older.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...