UKC

First triathlon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indus 09 Jan 2014
Just entered my first triathlon and I get the tri suit for swimming riding running, however wondering about footwear- obviously not whilst swimming. So really my question is do you wear bike shoe(SPDs)and then change into running shoes or running shoes with flat pedals. Also recommendations for suits etc would be great.

Thanks Indus
Removed User 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

Change yer shoes, don't get an all in one tri suit. Is it a long tri or a short one?
 DaveN 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

Done a couple of sprint tris. Got some tri shorts and just threw a top on for ride and run. Did the run and ride in running shoes.

Personal choice on it all really, take a crate/box for your stuff- towel, trainers, top etc.
OP Indus 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

It's fairy short 400 m swim in a pool, 16 k bike and a 6 k run. Do you stick a thermal on for the bike and run or have you a specific top.
Removed User 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

When its short you need a quick transition but tbh I just threw a t shirt on for the bike and run
 The Norris 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

I had my first season of triathlon last year, I went for a 2 peice tri suit underneath the wetsuit. After swim, just took off the wetsuit and put on my spd's for the ride, then swapped my spds for trainers with elastic laces for the run, and had fairly quick transitions considering i was new to it. I was warm enough without extra layers.

You may also need a number belt as you tend to need to have the number on your back for the bike, and on your front for the run, so putting it on an elastic belt allows you to spin it round.
 Paul249 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

A one piece tri suit is the most convenient thing to wear. You get over the embarrassment quickly as many others will be wearing one as well.

Swim in it, out of pool in bare feet and run to transition whilst you take goggles and hat off (the race organisers give everyone a hat for identification at most triathlons).

At transition have towel on ground and quickly shoogle feet about on it to dry and get any grit off, put on helmet and bike shoes (spd's - shouldn't be too far to run in them) and number belt then push bike to mount/ dismount line and away you go. (if you get more serious can practice having shoes clipped in and jump on bike and put shoes on as you are cycling)

I've never put on extra clothing on top of tri suit, you could have a top ready if you're concerned about being cold, you get used to starting on bike a bit cold though - it encourages you to go faster!!

At second transition, rack bike and take off helmet, take off bike shoes and pull on trainers and away you go. Pair of elastic speedlock laces are really handy to avoid faffing tying shoelaces. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Performance-Elastic-Laces-Black/dp/B0083VJ...

Good idea to have trainers and bike shoes full of talc/ baby powder as it helps feet dry quicker.

I would see if you like it first and get by without spending much on new gear. But if you do get into it, wiggle do a lot of starter tri gear you can't go wrong with:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/2xu-active-trisuit/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-t10-triathlon-cycling-shoe/
Removed User 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Paul249:

The problem with the one piece on longer tris is the ability to go for a pee is severely restricted.
 Paul249 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Unzip front and pull off shoulders - no more than 5-10 seconds. Very slightly slower but in a longer event not too significant surely??

I don't know if the op is planning on a longer event in the short term though...??
Removed User 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Paul249:

> Unzip front and pull off shoulders - no more than 5-10 seconds. Very slightly slower but in a longer event not too significant surely??

> I don't know if the op is planning on a longer event in the short term though...??

Yeah, TBF I don't think its a hill to die on either way. But I also don't think you need a one piece for yer 1st Tri.
 Lurking Dave 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

I assume that you are talking sprint/Oly??

One (or two) piece tri suit much easier than trying to get a top on over wet skin.

Tri-specific SPDs are preferable (velcro opens to outside of foot) and easier to use barefoot.

Peeing with a tri suit is normally done during the bike leg (whilst on the bike - applies to boys and girls) it ain't sexy but that's how its done. If you are only doing a short race, it is not going to be an issue.

Cheers
LD

JamButty 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:
When I did my first I had no trisuit or SPDs. It was a pool swim so just my budgies, then shorts and t shirt on, trainers on for bike. Then transition 2 was straight out on the run.
Unless you've got money to play around with I'd keep it simple then if you get addicted start saving for a tri bike.....

Also try searching forums or signing up - lots of good advice and usual pisstaking and self opinionated bods, same as UKC

www.tritalk.co.uk
Post edited at 13:03
 RankAmateur 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

For my first season (last year), I wore a trisuit and a pair of trail shoes with elasticated laces. I had flat pedals that the shoes gripped nicely meaning I didn't spend too much time slipping about. I could also do T2 nice and quickly.

This year I have SPDs, so I've no idea how well thats going to work out.
 ilch 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Indus:

Its a personal preference thing, I have raced a few times in the last few years, I wear a 1 piece tri suit (which although not flattering for a 5"4 chubby man) which makes transitions much easier, I'll never forget watching a mate waste a minute trying to get a running top on in T1.

I wear SPD shoes, I feel the extra peddling power makes up more than the 40odd seconds it takes to change out of them and in to my running trainers in T2, elasticated laces make it significantly quicker.

A little bit of practise goes a long way, both in foot ware and brick training sessions getting your legs used to running off the bike.

I hope that helps in some way.

Ilch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...