UKC

Conditions in Swanage Quarries?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 purple sue 10 Jan 2014
Has anyone climbed or attempted to climb in the Swanage quarries recently.
How bad is the seepage after all the rain in recent weeks?
In particularly interested in knowing whether Hedbury would be a go-er for the dry sunny day predicted on Saturday. Thanks for any info.
OP purple sue 10 Jan 2014
Looks like the heavy rain forecast overnight will put the routes out of condition. May be bouldering only option on Saturday?

Tony the Blade 10 Jan 2014
In reply to purple sue:

Bring your ice kit, there was a stiff frost this morning.
 Nexonen 10 Jan 2014
In reply to purple sue:

Do you think any trad will be do-able? Weather looks perfect but I don't know what it will be like after all this rain?
OP purple sue 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Tony, Nexonoen:

If the rain hadn't arrived it would've probably been fine on sport. Trad will be doable if you can tolerate standing still in the cold for long periods while belaying; maybe better conditions than the quarries on the south faces.
Cuttings boulder field might be best bet after prolonged rain for dryness, although it'll be exposed to the north wind which swanage wouldn't be..
 CurlyStevo 10 Jan 2014
In reply to purple sue:
It won't be cold trad climbing in the sun and no wind tomorrow at swanage, I'll be in my t shirt. Swanage main cliffs reputably don't seep much atall and I've been alot in the last few months and the only issue I've had is on overcast low wind high humidity days when it rained overnight (and only once has that been a big problem).

Hedbury is quite quick drying and was bone dry (apart from the stream) on boxing day. I can't comment when it will be dry enough tomorrow.
Post edited at 16:20
 CurlyStevo 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Nexonen:

you may want to head for an area with a quarry at the top / non mud bank top outs, I think the rain overnight will make these nasty tomorrow.
 CurlyStevo 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Last time I climbed at swanage was 29th and there was a fairly heavy frost on the walkin at 9am, but the cliffs were pretty warm and dry (unfortunately the only dampness was in a shortish crack on the crux of the hardest climb I lead). Anyway forecast is mild for next few days / nights.
Post edited at 16:29
 Nexonen 10 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah cheers, I think it will be pleasant in the sun tomorrow, but good shout about the top-outs. Some of the ruckle top-outs might be quite unpleasant after the recent weather I'd imagine?
 CurlyStevo 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Nexonen:

well ive noticed if its rained heavily even two days before its noticeably worse at this time of year. The burried rocks are less stable as is the mud, and well mud and rock boots.... yummy
In reply to purple sue:

Not trying to be alarmist but I would be really careful after all this rain. Things that weren't loose might be now. Keep tapping all the way.
 David Coley 11 Jan 2014
In reply to purple sue:

It will be perfect in the Ruckle. Sue, join was if you like.

I'll be rapping in either down the Ramp or Marmolatta - look for a 11mm white static.
 CurlyStevo 11 Jan 2014
In reply to David Coley:

That was a cracking day huh! T Shirts from first to last climb and I was actually too hot several times!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...