UKC

Niagara Falls Winter Ascent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan P 10 Jan 2014
Has Niagara falls ever been winter climbed before?

The polar vortex has frozen some sections, as seen in the video below, so are there any crazy Canadians gearing up to climb it before it thaws?

youtube.com/watch?v=JPol0wQU6NA&
 The New NickB 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Morgan P:

Those pictures arn't of Niagara Falls in Canada, it is the American Falls that have partially frozen, they are at Niagara, but maybe half a mile from the more famous Horseshoe Falls, which haven't frozen at all. The American Fall are unsurprisingly over the border in the US, New York State to be precise.
 WJV0912 10 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I thought it looked a lot smaller and I couldn't recall seeing building in the background on every other picture. Glad you cleared that up!
 andrewmc 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Morgan P:
It is also apparently much less frozen than in some years (notably 2004 apparently) where the cold had lasted longer (but was not as intense).
Post edited at 14:51
 Jim Fraser 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Morgan P:

Maybe still a few routes though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vernman/6763807107/
OP Morgan P 10 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Ah yes, my mistake! Would still be interesting to know if anyone was climbing of climbing it though!
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Morgan P:

> Ah yes, my mistake! Would still be interesting to know if anyone was climbing of climbing it though!

More ITVs mistake really, it is still Niagara Falls, just the inferior America version. I didn't realise the difference until I visited as a kid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...