UKC

Beinn an Dothaidh conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Good people of UKC
Looking for any advise on current conditions, thinking if heading up this way for on Sunday.
Been a few years since getting the spiky tools out and though a grade one/ easy II to get back in the swing of it(see what i did there)

So apart from Beinn an Dothaidh, any other recommendations that might be in good condition. Also the further south the better.
Thanks
Colin
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

Passed it this afternoon,fairly stripped was about 5 degrees
Pissing down, could see to the coll barely a patch of snow

bloody glad you asked this! Was thinking of heading for taxus on Sunday as well.

I'll be changing those plans!
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

I was camping in Orchy last nite,was hoping to see some Aurora
Activity and had my kit for a play in the snow 2day Negative on both counts, Ben Lui & Duchraig looked ok,
 CMCM 11 Jan 2014

I was also thinking of doing West Gully on Beinn an Dothaith tomorrow so any update on conditions would be greatly appreciated.

I did a couple of easy gullies in Winter Corrie (Glen Clova) yesterday and wasn't disappointed considering the fairly low altitude and the snow line was generally higher up at around 800m. The snow was well consolodated and conditions were good even in yesterday's thaw.

I'm hoping its the same in the west?
 Jamie B 11 Jan 2014
In reply to CMCM:
SAIS avalanche forecast for Glencoe area (which is normally comparable in snow conditions to the Bridge of Orchy area):

Strengthening winds will re-distribute existing windslab onto North-Westerly aspects. Areas of moderate to weakly bonded windslab will exist in sheltered summit gullies and on slopes with a North-West through North to Easterly aspect mainly above 800 metres. The avalanche hazard will be Considerable.

West Gully is a natural collection feature with a Northerly aspect. Maybe do a ridge route instead?
Post edited at 21:43
 CMCM 11 Jan 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Yeah I seen that this evening when the report was published. Definitely staying clear of the gullies. Heard there's been a lot of slides in SCnL today too. Cheers for the heads up mate.

Thanks folks, plans changed might head up An Caisteal instead.
 JSTaylor 12 Jan 2014
Was in NE Corrie today. Taxus was well banked out and looked easy but dangerous. Buttresses - soft turf and unconsolidated snow. West Gully had avalanche debris its full width at the bottom and was on a scale I have never seen before in the Southern Highlands. Still a huge amount of snow above the 800m mark. But, as is, nothing doing...

Cheers
Stephen
Post edited at 18:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...