UKC

Lighting question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 11 Jan 2014
I have been putting some new light switches on an existing circuit. All fine...until one doesn't work. I *think* I know why but before I short something out, can anyone answer this:

I have a 3-gang switch wired as expected but with a short extra wire linking two of the com terminals. Is this an electrician's shortcut for getting a live wire from one light to another? Or something else?
 DaveN 11 Jan 2014
In reply to MG:

it can be, but no promises.
Jim C 12 Jan 2014
In reply to MG:

> I have been putting some new light switches on an existing circuit. All fine...until one doesn't work. I *think* I know why but before I short something out, can anyone answer this:

> I have a 3-gang switch wired as expected but with a short extra wire linking two of the com terminals. Is this an electrician's shortcut for getting a live wire from one light to another? Or something else?

When I google lighting wiring circuits , I get some good results for the various systems .
OP MG 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Any with such a link wire? I couldn't find one.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2014
In reply to MG: Hi MG, yes is the answer. I have a similar setup for our kitchen lighting which was originally a single switch. A new live was pulled from consumer unit and is used for 2 new lighting circuits.

The live is fed to both circuits VIA a short link across the terminals, without this one circuit will not work.

HTH Davey

GridNorth 12 Jan 2014
In reply to MG:

Sounds like a two-way switch.
OP MG 12 Jan 2014
In reply to MG:

If anyone's interested it's like top right here

http://www.diynot.com/wiki/electricsighting:two_way_lighting
 gethin_allen 12 Jan 2014
In reply to MG:

I've found similar in many light switches in my house suggesting It's not too unusual. Saying this, some of the wiring in my place was propped dodgy so the same cowboy could have done the lights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...