UKC

wow! Looking forward to this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 12 Jan 2014

From Climb Bristol facebook.

Running short on suitable landscape pics, but have changed our cover photo: Pink Wall Traverse, Main Wall; first climbed in 1955 by Barrie Page.Timely because Barrie has said he is coming along to the Bristol Climbing Festival (Saturday 26 July 2014), which is great news.

So, I'm currently in the process of contacting guys from right across Avon's splendid climbing history to tell them about the Festival. Chris Bonington, Mike Thompson, Brian (Blob) Wyvill, Nipper Harrison, Pat Littlejohn are, so far, among the many who have said they can make it. We even have climbers jetting-in specially from places as far-flung as Hong Kong.

Should be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come and chat and share times past and to come - and to climb of course! The Festival is open to everyone, and we want the place buzzing with climbers. So, make sure the Bristol Climbing Festival is in your diary too!

Link to Climb Bristol facebook Below

https://m.facebook.com/Climbbristol?id=491753814169300&_rdr
Post edited at 09:25
 Al Evans 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

You need to get Ed Drummond!
OP Choss 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Its not me Al. I just Lifted it From Climb Bristols Facebook. Its Mr Crocker.

Sounds Like hes doing a Sterling job, and theres going to be a Veritable whos who of Avon Climbing there on the day.

Hope Martin can get the portway closed for the day.
 Iain Peters 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

>> Hope Martin can get the portway closed for the day.

Just back from the BMC SW Area meeting and sadly the Portway will remain open on the day.

Much of the meeting was taken up with progress reports. Seems like there's great things happening in Bristol. Lots of hoops still to jump through before the Festival can definitely go ahead, but even if some people can't make it in July I think support both practical and moral from the greater climbing community will not only help to keep the project moving forward but will demonstrate to those decision makers outside climbing that this unique crag and those who play on it are very much a part of Bristol's sporting and cultural heritage.
OP Choss 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Cheers for the update Iain.

Wonder if the council could be brought Round on closing the portway, if only for a half day, or the evening?

They would need to Know the event will be guaranteed Large numbers to justify it?

Any Other Avon gorge Interest groups that would be keen to Take Advantage of a portway closed to Traffic? Sustrans, Ramblers Association, local history groups, etc?
 Al Evans 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

The only time I've Climbed in the Avon Gorge , The Portway was closed all week, I forget why. Myself, Dave Parker , Ron Fawcett and , I think, Chris Gibb were on motorbikes which could get past the road blockages, spent the whole week camping by the (what must have been then ) the new bog block, which was a great facility. We were undisturbed by the police and certainly by the traffic (non-existent) We all did some great routes, many of which Ron soloed and a couple of which I did too along with him. This must have been one of the best weeks ever to climb in the Avon Gorge and we happened on it by chance
 Ian Parsons 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Pity it won't coincide with the annual Bristol International Baboon Fiesta...

(Sorry - old joke!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...