UKC

UKC Fat Club Week 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 12 Jan 2014
UKC Fat Club is not a substitute for giving up pies and beer but to use in addition to such self denial as a motivational tool for all.

This training article by Dave Macleod includes a section on dietary advice from a climber's point of view:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=317

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's sins, noting goals, successes and failures and to swap ideas.

Anyone interested in starting is very welcome but you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have eaten.
By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this will hopefully
improve your eating habits to help achieve your weight loss/maintenance goals whatever the level of your current blobbiness.

Link to last week's (1) thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=574444&v=1#x7628579

Apologies to UKC Fit Club for the shameful plagiarism in this thread!

As this is the first summary it will be fairly general.

AndrewW - aiming to lose up to 1.5 stone in the coming year.
Ciderslider - aiming to lose around 1 stone. Has the beer consumption gone down this week?
cfer - aiming to lose 18kg. How's skipping breakie and lunch working out so far?
Thundercat - good start, was hoping to see some more encouraging news in the lard diaries but link seems to have gone.
Fatclimber - aiming to cut down the booze (aren't we all).
Skip - is already a skinny git, but still wants further reductions (careful now).
Tim Chappel - somewhere between 13st and 13st 9lb. Not fat (ha!) but wants to watch the empty calories.
BenJ85 - currently 100kgs, aiming to shed 15 of these.
Exile - Has already lost about half a stone in just over a week (wow!). Wanting to get down to 11st dead (12 lbs to go) by sensible eating.
Dick, Still a Fat B - 14st 11lb, looking to lose 2 st. Welcome back into the climbing fold (you know it makes sense).

Apologies for anyone missed out.

BenJ85 12 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Bad week for me. Been ill and felt like eating loads. No weight lost

Exercise wise: a 2h mountain bike ride, one short indoor climbing session at Oxford Brooks. I walk the dog for at least 2h per day so plenty of walking, albeit flat.
 Fatclimber 13 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Good Week for me.

At the start of the year I was 100.7Kg with a goal of 85 Kg by the end of 2014.

At the start of this week I was 101.4kg (finishing of mince pies and beer!) but I have got this down to 99.0.

I have noticed that my scales seem to fluctuate quite a bit, so it is possible that there has been no weight change at all, so I will be far more interested in trends than the odd 0.1 of a KG.

Last week I exercised every day, which hopefully is becoming a habit. I didn't drink any alcohol which was good, but I have a couple of evenings out this week, so I won't manage to carry that through.

I had a successful fast day, but I ate more the next day, some I not sure this is the tactic for me. I have also started eating more fruit.

Plan for this week - Get down to 98.0 kg

Exercise every day.
Fast day without rebounding
Only drink alcohol on two evenings.
 browndog33 13 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

My goal for last week was to cut my pie consumption by 10%, and although it was a tough week I can proudly say that I had 10 less pies last week so hit my goal and feel great!
Mark.
 Andy Hardy 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

> [...] Only drink alcohol on two evenings.

This might help with your motivation http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20874204

The take home fact, if you c.b.a. clicking the link -

"Containing 7kcal/g, alcohol is only slightly less calorific than fat, which contains 9kcal/g."

Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Still no alcohol at all. Did a days fast last week ( then like Steve scoffed loads the following day).
Have had a touch of man flu so was scoffing all manner of rubbish. Although still under 12st.
Gonna fast today (Mon) then try to eat sensibly this week.
 Exile 13 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Increased a little then decreased last week. 11st 11lb this morning.

Think the first half stone went reasonably easily as it was Xmas gluttony - easy on, reasonably easily off. From 12 - 11 stone will be more difficult.
 Fatclimber 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Mark,

How are you fasting? Water only, Liquid (including fruit juices etc), 600 Cal ? I went for liquid only, with the bulk of the liquid being tea!
Andy Gamisou 13 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Weight at beginning of week: 11st 6lb
Weight at end of week: 11st 6lb

Week started well, but returned to type by mid-week: way too much booze. Weak willed goon.

3/10 - must do better.
 Fatclimber 13 Jan 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Thanks Andy. It is a tale of woe that I already know. The link to the calculator was particularly handy. It shows that on a big night out I drink 2000 Cals and then probably have a curry on top. One of the reasons (apart from the state of my Liver) why I am trying to focus on cutting down.
 Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Just loads of black coffee and water - it's only the second time I've tried it (interesting when you realise that you're not actually gonna die if you don't cram stuff in your face every two or three hours

When you read about what actually goes on in your body after about 12+ hrs it makes for interesting reading.
This time I'm gonna try not to eat my own body weight the following day
 Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Beer uuuummmmmm (drool, my name is Mark, and I haven't had a drink in 13 days) curry - why does it taste so good !!!!!
 Fatclimber 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:
Careful Mark, the issues you are raising may need an entirely separate thread to deal with.

However, my name is Steve. I haven't had a drink in 9 days. But I will do in four days, seven hours and fifty three minutes.
Post edited at 22:05
 Alun 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Alright team, I'm going to sign up to Fat Club (and probably to fit club next week). Thanks for starting it.

Currently I weigh 76.3 kg (12 stone, but as I am on the continent I have been infected with metric) and would like to get down to 70kg (11 stone). My body fat is at pretty much dead on 20%. I have weighed between 75-78kg for the last ten years or so, except for a short while when I got down to 73kg - which coincided, unsurprisingly, with my highest climbing standards.

My tactics are:
- stop drinking except for maybe once a week if going out for dinner or something, and then drink only wine.
- eat no biscuits or cake in the office, (or at home, for that matter)
- not have seconds at the dinner table (I used to do this all the time)
- commit to riding my bike to work as often as possible (10 miles each way)
- weigh, and measure fat, on the same scales, every morning immediately after getting up and taking a piss. Track it on a nifty ipad app cos I'm a nerd.

I started the year pretty well - on the 1st of Jan I weighed 77.5kg. So I'm already down over a kilo. But this last week I was away at a conference with free food(!), so I only managed to maintain my weight, and not lose any. I'd love to finish January under 75kg. So this week I hope to get back on track!
In reply to AndrewW:

Got to the climbing wall 4 times in a week
starting tick off a few problems( working at the steep ones as they were always my nemesis)
Did well with the food and drink until Friday, bad day at work, drank nearly a bottle of wine, then thought some chocolate would make me feel better.
Alcohol definitely reduces my resolve, so I guess it needs to go for a while.

End result 14st 12 (+1lb)

not quiting though
 VS4b 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Dick, Still a Fat B:

Good week, stuck to limited calorie intake and cycled 150 miles. Result - 5lb lost.
Now 265lb, aiming for 250 by end of march hopefully.
 BenJ85 14 Jan 2014
To add to my post earlier, has anyone found an effective way of breaking a weight loss plateau?

I am down to 15st 10 lbs from 19st 12 lbs a few years ago, but I am now struggling to get past this point. It's the longest I halve been at a the same weight in ages!
 Fatclimber 15 Jan 2014
In reply to BenJ85:
Well done on your initial weight loss. Has your motivation changed? Now that you have lost the four stone are you in a more acceptable place and so the desire to move on is less?
Post edited at 08:06
 BenJ85 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Nothing much really, changed job, lifestyle and outlook on life : )

I went from staying in hotels 3 nights a week and pushing a mouse around, to being an outdoor instructor. The weight followed the way of the old IT job, gone and forgotten.

I am happy enough where I am, but have found my bulk is now hindering me when climbing, so it needs to go.

I guess I already know the answer to this, I need to think about eating clean and having a structured exercise regime. Maybe I was hoping for some miracle answer to break through the barrier I have hit!
 Choss 15 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Week 2 - Decided to cut drinking out pretty much. Going to just allow Myself 1 Heineken mini keg a fortnight (hey im Not a monk) im Sure my Liver will thank me and should shed my empty calorie count. As well as Easing my bloody painful gout.

No Other home drinking or pub. Money saved to put towards an e cig starter kit to help cut down fags.

Actually touched a rock this week =-O

Going Climbing again at weekend.

Still Eating big Curries most evenings, but as they are all vegetable vindaloos with boiled basmati theyre Probably quite Healthy

cfer 15 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Its been a good week, I have had a pack of rice cake crisp type things a couple of days but am down 1.5kg so far and this is without any exercise.

The bike is lubed and ready to go and I aim to get out tomorrow night for a 20 miler then maybe a longer ride at the weekend and a swim.

The other half started slimming world as well so evening meals are even healthier now, so that should aid it a bit as well.
 waterbaby 15 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:
I'm f##ked if I'm writing all that again! See week 1. Got a bit muddled up in true Bridget style
Post edited at 23:34
Had an impromptu session at the wall with a climbing instructor yesterday.
Very helpful, and really pushed myself.
14st 9 today (-2 lbs)
At present I am relying on climbing on the exercise for my weight loss.
But I guess cycling would be better ( any thoughts anyone)
I can't run because of a previous ankle injury.

Trying my hardest not to drink, but I am not a monk either.

cfer 20 Jan 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

So it was my monday morning weigh-in today and in total I am down 4.2kgs from the start, may have to put a belt on at this rate

This week I climbed twice and went for a ride at the weekend, although forgot my phone so couldn't strava it to see how far it was

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...