UKC

Developing anxiety over heights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 12 Jan 2014
Over the last 2 - 3 months, I have started to develop an increasing anxiety of heights.
Whilst I've always respected the space beneath my feet, its never bothered me to any degree, even when soloing, and I've experienced some pretty big drops - although I have to admit the Thank God Ledge on NW Face of Half Dome made me go 'woah'.
Now it could just be old age and an increasing awareness of my mortality, but the fact fact that it has only happened recently, and I spent quite a lot of time both this summer and last climbing in the Verdon, has me a bit confused.
However, about a fortnight ago I had what could be termed a bit of a panic attack on a route, and even though I stuck it out and finished ok, I was so relieved to get off the route, I became quite emotional - which really isn't me.
So I was wondering if there are any other UKC folk who have had a similar experience.
 The Potato 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:

its possibly nothing to do with heights, perhaps you have an insecurity or something else worrying you
OP Goucho 12 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

I did think about that, but my life is actually pretty good in all aspects, and I'm a happy chap with my lot.
Simos 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:
I certainly became a lot more 'aware' of heights since I switched to bouldering - on the odd occasion now that I get on the high walls it stresses me out to a degree whereas I never used to be bothered in the slightest.

I think it's probably because I don't climb as much in my case but I am also sure that it's also related to the fact that I now have a 2 y.o. son and another baby on the way. Maybe something changed in your life and you now feel you have more responsibility? Or like you said it could be that you may have seen/read about accidents and you are more aware of your mortality etc

In any case I would take a step back and climb some easier, 'safe' routes just to build up confidence..
Post edited at 07:42
 Sherlock 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:
Yeah, it's strange.Happened to me a couple of years ago.I suddenly became a shaking jelly on a slightly exposed descent path and had to revert to hands and knees.Awful.This was followed by complete terror attacks even when following on increasingly tight ropes.Previously,like most climbers I'd relished exposure.No reason I can see for this change in my head.Even considered hypnotherapy type options for a while.Then I really started getting into bouldering.Oddly,what would scare the bejabbers out of me leading is manageable above a couple of pads.I'm playing a waiting game at the moment and if my current lust for bouldering dissipates and I return to the route climbing fold and this panic persists,I might well go down the hypnotherapy road.Anyway,good luck with it.

In reply to Goucho:

I've had this and it coincided with the birth of my son. I kept thinking of him at tricky moments during a climb and how i could make him fatherless any second. It passes, but from time to time it comes back and i do wonder why the f@#k i have such a dangerous hobby.
OP Goucho 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Well, adopting the maxim of 'getting back on the horse', I went out yesterday and did a 4 pitch route, pretty steep and exposed, and...

...no anxiety about the height at all. Cruised it in a relaxed style, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even went off and soloed a couple of shorter routes after.

So I'm now even more confused - maybe I'm going insane
 jon 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Is the weather OK down your way now then?
OP Goucho 20 Jan 2014
In reply to jon:

I'm in Spain at the moment jon.
 jon 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:
Oh. Funny, you don't sound any different.
It's crap here.
Post edited at 21:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...