UKC

Have today's Pop/Rock Stars lost their cohonies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 15 Jan 2014
Back in the 60's and 70's our Pop/Rock Idols were doing stupid things, because they were Pop/Rock Idols. It was part of their Job Description.

Rock Stars would trash hotel rooms, throw TVs out of hotel rooms, park cars in swimming pools, have lots of sex with groupies, snort mountains of white powder and other such nonsense.

Now that we are in the new millennium, who re-wrote their job descriptions, took their cohonies away and make them apologise for anything and everything?
 John Ww 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Or perhaps even their cojones?

JW
 nw 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Yeah cos no pop stars are doing coke or shagging anymore (????????????)
 Mike Highbury 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
> Now that we are in the new millennium, who re-wrote their job descriptions, took their cohonies away and make them apologise for anything and everything?

Not while R Kelly still stalks the schoolyard
 wynaptomos 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I agree to some extent. I think part of the problem is that most of the big-name rock stars these days are just too old to be behaving this way. Most of the youngsters just can't afford to pay for the damage caused.....

Another thing is that none of them seem to speak out on the big issues of the day like they used to. The only ones who seem to are the likes of John Lydon and Morrissey who tbh have become a bit tiresome.
JMGLondon 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It's an interesting question. Firstly, I don't believe that all all pop stars in the 60's and 70's were tearing up hotel rooms (Cliff Richard?) so perhaps anecdotes have developed into myth and people get nostalgic. Secondly, society has developed more liberal attitudes so behaviors that shocked then don't now. And finally I think the queue of celebs from that era(and beyond) at the courthouse might smudge the rose tinted glasses somewhat...
 toad 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Justin Bieber has apparently been throwing eggs at his neighbours house (or so it says in't paper).

very rock and roll. Maybe he'll upgrade to knocking on the door and running away.
In reply to JMGLondon:

> It's an interesting question. Firstly, I don't believe that all all pop stars in the 60's and 70's were tearing up hotel rooms (Cliff Richard?) so perhaps anecdotes have developed into myth and people get nostalgic. Secondly, society has developed more liberal attitudes so behaviors that shocked then don't now. And finally I think the queue of celebs from that era(and beyond) at the courthouse might smudge the rose tinted glasses somewhat...

Oh come now, the Nolan sisters were filthy
 Blue Straggler 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

They still do it, it just doesn't get in the major news because it's neither important nor interesting.
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Secondly, society has developed more liberal attitudes so behaviors that shocked then don't now. And finally I think the queue of celebs from that era(and beyond) at the courthouse might smudge the rose tinted glasses somewhat

Haven't your just contradicted yourself. I suspect there is hardly a rock star alive from the 60s or 70s who isn't shitting himself about being done for indecent assault or sex with an underage girl back in the day. We are much more shocked about it now than we were then it would seem.

In reply to The Lemming:

The worldwide AIDS phenomenon (it wasn't a pandemic AFAIK so I'll just have to call it a phenomenon for now) probably led to a major reduction in promiscuity and drug taking across the board, including yer rock stars
In reply to Postmanpat:

> We are much more shocked about it now than we were then it would seem.

I imagine that it's more a case of how we didn't hear about quite how much groupie sex in the 60s, 70s and 80s involved assault, bullying and underage girls and boys. If that had come to light back then, the shock would at least have been the equal of today's

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I imagine that it's more a case of how we didn't hear about quite how much groupie sex in the 60s, 70s and 80s involved assault, bullying and underage girls and boys. If that had come to light back then, the shock would at least have been the equal of today's

I think we did.

I cannot believe that my world was so much better informed than yours.
In reply to Mike Highbury:

I did say "I imagine". You are older than me and I am merely speculating, in order to try to help out The Lemming whose imagination seems to have some limits.
I do know that eyebrows used to be raised regarding the ages of some people e.g. Jet Harris courting Billie Davis, but that's because Billie Davis was a star in her own right. I don't know if it was common PUBLIC knowledge that such-and-such rockstar was taking advantage of x number of underage fans on tour....
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014

> I imagine that it's more a case of how we didn't hear about quite how much groupie sex in the 60s, 70s and 80s involved assault, bullying and underage girls and boys. If that had come to light back then, the shock would at least have been the equal of today's

Maybe, but google "sunset strip groupies". I don't think that, (or a lot else)was much a secret at the time.
My take is that it was a period when old taboos from homosexuality to adultery etc were being broken down and it isn't clear where the new boundaries were.
In reply to Postmanpat:

Cheers, have not Googled it yet but I think I get the picture. I'll assume that they were all consenting? Well OK I will look it up later.

Are you all agreeing with the OP then?
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably not in a super league but Justin Bleiber has progressed to;

1. visiting prostitutes
2. picking up dancers from strip bars
3. smoking drugs on planes
4. gobbing on fans
5. tried getting into fights

In reply to The Lemming:

Plenty are deliberately courting controversy in their actual "day job" let alone in their extra-curricular activities. Mostly it seems to be the women that get in the mainstream news for this. e.g. some of Rihanna's promos, and the whole Miley Cyrus thing last year, and the existence of Lady Gaga. But let's not let the details spoil yet another The Lemming OP ehh.
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014

> Cheers, have not Googled it yet but I think I get the picture. I'll assume that they were all consenting? Well OK I will look it up later.

> Are you all agreeing with the OP then?

In that particular case they weren't just consenting they were leading the way! I don't doubt there was also stuff that in any era would have been considered "beyond the pale" but some of the stuff now being prosecuted now, whilst frowned upon, would just have been considered "groping", what stoned rock stars were "allowed" to do.

I think what the OP has missed is that much of the stuff he describes (probably excluding the drugs) would be both much more public and (partly as a result) liableccto prosecution now
In reply to Postmanpat:

> I think what the OP has missed is that much of the stuff he describes (probably excluding the drugs) would be both much more public and (partly as a result) liableccto prosecution now

You are correct. The Lemming does miss A LOT, bless his furry rodent heart
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Jan 2014

I know I shouldn't be amused, but I can still remember an interview with Robert Plant when he was asked whether it was true that at a party a naked groupie had been slapped with a live octopus. He thought for a moment and said 'No of course not... it was a dead shark.'
 Mike Stretford 15 Jan 2014

> You are correct. The Lemming does miss A LOT, bless his furry rodent heart

I don't even know where he gets the inspiration for these threads. I didn't know we'd hit a lull in rock and pop star excesses since poor Amy Winehouse died and Pete Doherty kept getting arrested.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I know I shouldn't be amused, but I can still remember an interview with Robert Plant when he was asked whether it was true that at a party a naked groupie had been slapped with a live octopus. He thought for a moment and said 'No of course not... it was a dead shark.'

I recall one shocked reviewer remarking that the band's wives were present during the insertion of the fish. I don't recall reading that bit but it does suggest something about what they felt about groupies.
 ti_pin_man 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

it worries me that so many on here seem to know the details of justin biebers personal life and that his name is even mentioned in the same sentence as the words rock star.
 graeme jackson 15 Jan 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> Probably not in a super league but Justin Bleiber has progressed to;
> ...
> 5. tried getting into fights

Tried? what happened then? his adversaries just ignored him or something? I've found that's the best thing to do with most of today's 'celebrities'

knthrak1982 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Snoop Dogg is the best example I can think of. Almost got himself barred from the uk due to a brawl with security staff at Heathrow. Apparently bottles of duty free were thrown. Although this headline doesn't really enhance his cojones.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/apr/24/urban.britishairwaysbusiness
OP The Lemming 15 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Seems like my possy of regular stalkers have made their presence known again.

If people find my questions pointless or suchlike, they could of course completely ignore me. I must be so lucky to have the same persistant stalkers.

Maybe we could include the actions of One Direction as popstars with cohonies?
 FactorXXX 16 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Don't know what you mean, check this out for outrageous behaviour: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25740810
 Mike Highbury 16 Jan 2014
In reply to toad:

> Justin Bieber has apparently been throwing eggs at his neighbours house (or so it says in't paper).

> very rock and roll. Maybe he'll upgrade to knocking on the door and running away.

And so he has, to cocaine.

Wicked boy.
myth 16 Jan 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Don't know what you mean, check this out for outrageous behaviour: -

I think this answers the question. The slightest action is blown out of proportion.

We are too sensitive these days and expect our rockers to be clean cut and well behaved. Anything less and we turn our backs.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

To be honest, I don't like glamorisation of that type of behaviour.
 Al Evans 17 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Anybody remember 'The Plaster Casters' They were a bunch of groupies that collected plaster casts of the 'members' of rock groups.
 Postmanpat 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Anybody remember 'The Plaster Casters' They were a bunch of groupies that collected plaster casts of the 'members' of rock groups.

I think you were closer to these "things" than us Al
 FactorXXX 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Anybody remember 'The Plaster Casters' They were a bunch of groupies that collected plaster casts of the 'members' of rock groups.

Google 'Cynthia Plaster Caster'.
Selecting Images is optional...
 Choss 17 Jan 2014
 graeme jackson 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

fictional examples of their work appear in the spoof rockumentary (for want of a better description) 'Still Crazy' .
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Apparently Rod Stewart declined their services...
In reply to The Lemming:

When it comes to rock stars behaving illegally and pushing the boundaries of decency beyond comprehension then i'm afraid it's hard to see past the scum bag Ian Watkins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...