UKC

38 % Degrees Pettition...Gagging Legislation...Do Sign It..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Timmd:

Now, you might have to explain that. Y'see, most people think it's right and proper that lobbying firms should have to announce which of our elected representatives they're lobbying and/or paying to advance parliamentary questions and/or their cause.

Which amendments are it exactly you're in favour of?

jcm
cap'nChino 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I couldnt help but snigger at the "Stand up to Trump" campaign. I prefer to sit when I pass gas.
 tony 15 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

The problem with the current lobbying legislation, as I understand it, is that it fails properly to discriminate between organisations with legitimate reasons for seeking to meet Government ministers (for example, charities which might want to express a view on a particular piece of legislation - Shelter, wanting to talk about the bedroom tax, for example), and organisations which have a more corporate agenda which may not be in the wider public interest.

But I'll happily admit I haven't really been keeping up and may be completely wrong.

I do like the typo in one of the comments "Please help to keep demon acy alive". I suppose demons must have names ...
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014
In reply to tony:

> The problem with the current lobbying legislation, as I understand it, is that it fails properly to discriminate between organisations with legitimate reasons for seeking to meet Government ministers (for example, charities which might want to express a view on a particular piece of legislation - Shelter, wanting to talk about the bedroom tax, for example), and organisations which have a more corporate agenda which may not be in the wider public interest.

>
So is it your belief that charities lobbying is always "legitimate" and that corporate lobbying is not?
 tony 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> So is it your belief that charities lobbying is always "legitimate" and that corporate lobbying is not?

I knew that would be picked up. No, that's not what I believe. I'm sure there is corporate lobbying that goes on that is worthwhile and necessary, and I'm sure there is charity lobbying which is a waste of time, money, effort and not in the public interest.

Sorry to disappoint.
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014
In reply to tony:
> I knew that would be picked up. No, that's not what I believe. I'm sure there is corporate lobbying that goes on that is worthwhile and necessary, and I'm sure there is charity lobbying which is a waste of time, money, effort and not in the public interest.

> Sorry to disappoint.

I'm not disappointed, I'm relieved. Actually there is an argument that the legislation is as much or more about trying to clamp down on politically motivated lobbying by charities dependent on government finance and run by the labour "charitocracy" as on that done by by evil corporations.

So you'd better get signing!
Post edited at 16:42
In reply to Postmanpat:

When you say 'clamp down on', do you mean 'set up a register to render transparent', or is there some more supposedly sinister aspect of this legislation?

jcm
 Postmanpat 15 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> When you say 'clamp down on', do you mean 'set up a register to render transparent', or is there some more supposedly sinister aspect of this legislation?

>
They were going to cap spending as well, so a bit of both I guess. Like so much legislation it appears to a badly drafted pig's ear.
Whether it is "sinister" depends on what you think lobbying nd lobbyists should be allowed to do I should think.

What do you reckon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...