UKC

Any Fujifilm X20 or Canon G15/G16 users?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 15 Jan 2014
Hi there,

Does anyone use Fujifilm X20 or Canon G15 or Canon G16 camera(s) while being outdoors? I want to go lighter from my old film viewfinder camera which weights about 1kg. I also have a DSLR, but it feels too fragile on mountains, it's bulky and I do not have perfect lens for this type of photography.

Any reviews appreciated. I know that there are many reviews on internet and I have read lots of them, but personal experiences might be helpful to decide. I am after G15 or X20, but G16 is very similar to G15 regarding the image quality.

Oh, and I shoot only in RAW format, so I do not need filters and most of the settings. I am okay to use camera in full manual mode.
 inboard 16 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:

I have X20. Very pleased with it. Lots of flexibility with controls, which are largely well-conceived and easy to use. View is great, though doesn't quite convey as much information as the LCD screen, but I'm grateful to have a good non-SLR with a viewfinder (which I regard as essential for outdoor use).

Battery life - I'd definitely carry a spare battery if away for more than 4 days with no access to charger.

I find the size & weight of the camera ideal for mountaineering, it's not obtrusive when clipped onto rucksack shoulder strap, and easy to use for quick snaps while moving.

Very happy with JPEG image quality. Haven't used RAW much yet.

hope that's of some help.
OP PPP 16 Jan 2014
In reply to inboard:

Thanks! I usually do not make many photos (like 50 in few weeks) as taking photos on film made me think more than shoot . I have read about poor battery life, but I tend to have an extra battery for light meter which has battery life of over few years... So a spare battery or two is a must for me anyway.
 ayuplass 17 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:
Dan bailey uses an x20 professionally and raves about them - http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/my-fujifilm-x20-full-review/

I bought an x10 partly as a result of his excellent review (before he upgraded to the x20). I bought it specifically for a 3 week trip to the alps but also as a smaller alternative to a dslr for outdoor stuff. I took 3 spare batteries with me which lastedt for the whole 3 weeks and I took a lot of photos.
The first 4 photos on my gallery are taken with the x10 http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=59202

london_huddy 17 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:

The general view is that you can't go far wrong with the Fuji X-Series.
I know of pro fashion and portrait guys ditching their big bodies for nice small fujis over the last year.

I went for the X-E1 over the X20/30 and its not that much bigger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...