UKC

Police shoot unarmed white man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
>http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/16/greater-manchester-police-he...

Where's Stafford Scott when you need him? He must be thrilled, presumably.

More generally, where’s the community activist telling us that it’s now open season on middle-aged white armed robbers, I wonder?

jcm
 crayefish 16 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

There will no riots for this shotting... yet a black guy (despite having a bloody gun) is the 'spark' of national riots. Hmmm
 MG 16 Jan 2014
Mr Scott's twitter feed is quite revealing

https://twitter.com/StaffordScott_

May you should ask him what he makes of the Manchester murder?
Post edited at 15:19
In reply to MG:

Good God. He's a moron.

jcm
In reply to crayefish:

Quaint that the Guardian doesn't even have a comments section, as well.

Can it be that shooting unarmed white gangsters dead isn't clickbait?!

jcm
 toad 16 Jan 2014
> (In reply to crayefish)
>
> Quaint that the Guardian doesn't even have a comments section, as well.
>
> Can it be that shooting unarmed white gangsters dead isn't clickbait?!
>
> jcm

Guardian are quite cagey about comments on anything currently in court. For all the wikileaks/ Snowden stuff, they're actually quite risk averse
In reply to toad:

Yes, fair point, that may be it. Though of course the Met may yet face the same sort of prosecution over Duggan, and that didn’t stop them.

Interesting too that the Rodney and Duggan inquest transcripts are on line. Unless Google is failing me, the Grainger inquest isn’t.

jcm
 Timmd 16 Jan 2014
> More generally, where’s the community activist telling us that it’s now open season on middle-aged white armed robbers, I wonder?

> jcm

Could it be that no history of racism against white people in this country accounts for this?

Though you knew that anyway...
Post edited at 15:47
 Scarab9 16 Jan 2014

am sure there will be plenty of people making judgements, but personally I'd rather wait and see the evidence or some more details about what happened and why. The article doesn't say much.

If top lawyers thing a jury would acquit the officer then there must be a reason, and without more info we're not qualified to say whether they're wrong or not.
 toad 16 Jan 2014

on the other hand, I'm really suprised they've allowed comments on this (unrelated) story

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/16/american-pow-alive-taliban-cap...
In reply to Scarab9:

>If top lawyers thing a jury would acquit the officer then there must be a reason,

Well, presumably they think that because there’s already been an inquest at which the jury decided the killing was lawful. But that didn’t stop a good deal of cyberink being spilled over Duggan, not to mention nationwide rioting, whereas so far as I can see poor old Tone hasn’t even had so much as a post office smashed up in his honour.

jcm
In reply to Timmd:

Really? No history of police oppression of the underclass at all?

jcm
 tony 16 Jan 2014

> Good God. He's a moron.

But you knew that already.
 Timmd 16 Jan 2014
> Really? No history of police oppression of the underclass at all?

> jcm

I was talking about racism. Hint hint, reread my post, hint hint.

edit;...and you mentioned white middle class armed robbers anyway...?

Could you have an argument in an empty room? ()
Post edited at 18:17
In reply to Timmd:

I said middle-aged, not middle-class. I don't think the middle classes produce a lot of armed robbers.

In any case, I think it's a pathetic justification for the sort of idiocy displayed by the likes of Stafford Scott to say that there's been racism in Britain in the past and therefore it's OK to cry racism about what is quite clearly not something confined to one race or another.

jcm
 Timmd 16 Jan 2014
Yes, you did, I guess that serves me right.

I'm not sure how much agree, I think racism might mess with your psyche to the degree where you'd struggle not to see it, and want it to be proven that there's no racism, rather than assuming there isn't, if somebody from your own minority is killed.

I think it'd scramble how I saw things, I'm sure it would, always or often having to be wary of it and on the alert.

Being from the majority race in this country and not having experienced racism, I'm not sure I feel able to comment on how readily other people see racism where it quite likely isn't, and whether it's justified.

Post edited at 18:45

Will they now have to shoot an unarmed Asian crim to keep their equal opportunities record?

Lesbian crim?

Disabled?
 Robmwatt 16 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Wtf
Maybe you should think and engage your brain before making a comment like that ! Well done
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I can well remember the shock of visiting Trinidad as an impoverished student, and clearly being in a not very welcome minority.

It's not a god feeling.

Doesn't exonerate Stafford Scott for being a moron though.
Jim C 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Scarab9:

> am sure there will be plenty of people making judgements, but personally I'd rather wait and see the evidence or some more details about what happened and why. The article doesn't say much.

> If top lawyers thingk a jury would acquit the officer then there must be a reason, and without more info we're not qualified to say whether they're wrong or not.

It is difficult not to think, what risk did the officer perceive of a person inside a car ?
( I'm assuming the officer is not standing in the open and making himself a target)
Also this case 'seems' to gave been less of a threat than say Duggen, again a personal perception, could be completely wrong.

But, as you say we don't have any of the evidence, either way.

I do now wonder , however, if these officer's training is really good enough, do they remain calm in stressful situations , and make logical decisions , and of course is their perpetration/ intelligence of good enough quality to merit an armed response in the first place?

Would I , as a law abiding citizen, now think twice about reporting my 'suspicions' of someone that might be about to carry out a robbery?
Definitely , and that has got to be a bad thing.
 winhill 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Would I , as a law abiding citizen, now think twice about reporting my 'suspicions' of someone that might be about to carry out a robbery?

> Definitely , and that has got to be a bad thing.

Seriously?
 Timmd 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I can well remember the shock of visiting Trinidad as an impoverished student, and clearly being in a not very welcome minority.

> It's not a god feeling.

> Doesn't exonerate Stafford Scott for being a moron though.

No it doesn't.
 nastyned 16 Jan 2014

Think it through John.
 crayefish 16 Jan 2014
In reply to jasper11:

That's a very well constructed and reasoned argument. Oh wait, maybe not. Want to try again?
 off-duty 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Would I , as a law abiding citizen, now think twice about reporting my 'suspicions' of someone that might be about to carry out a robbery?

> Definitely , and that has got to be a bad thing.

If this isn't a joke, it might be worth thinking three times.

Unless "assuming" about a case which "seems" to be different but where you "could be completely wrong" is a rational basis to make any decision.

These were both preplanned intelligence driven operations targetting dangerous criminals who were believed to be armed.

You ask "was the intelligence good enough quality to merit an armed response in the first place" - in the case of Duggan who was picking up a gun, most definitely. In the case of Grainger - we will probably have to wait for the full details to come out at the Inquest.

In reply to off-duty:

What do you mean, offduty? There's been an inquest, hasn't there?

jcm
 off-duty 17 Jan 2014

I believe it was opened then adjourned pending the IPCC investigation.
Not sure if it will be delayed until after the court case as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...