UKC

Suggestions for Marinades or recipes for Tofu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
contrariousjim 20 Jan 2014
We love our stir fries, and are eating them more often given our desire for a healthier meal and eating less meat. However, we've not had much success with tofu, having tried it a couple of times with different marinades. Any suggestions for tofu marinades, or your best / most successful recipes. Any advice appreciated!
 Ramblin dave 20 Jan 2014
In reply to contrariousjim:

Cubes dipped in cornflour and deep fried. The cornflour absorbs some moisture from the tofu and forms a sort of batter, which crisps up nicely. Sort of kills the health angle, though.

Smoked tofu is good if you can find it.

I don't know that it really works as a straight meat substitute, though - it doesn't work with other ingredients in the same way as (eg) chicken, so if you just bung it in a stir-fry then it ends up feeling like a bit of a space filler. On the other hand, there are really good recipes that use tofu as a thing in itself - eg this one from Madhur Jaffrey's Eastern Vegetarian Cooking (classic ahoy):

1 fairly mild fresh chilli
1/2 sweet red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 lb tofu, as firm and dry as you can get (I use the Cauldron stuff)
1tbs dark soy
2 floz water
4tbs finely chopped fresh coriander

Mix the cornflour, soy and water in a glass
Slice the peppers into short fine shreds
dice the tofu

Heat the oil in a pan. Stir fry the peppers and salt for about 30 seconds, then chuck in the tofu. Turn the heat down and push the tofu around til it's hot. Add the soy / cornflour mix and stir until it thickens. Add the coriander, stir a couple more times and serve with rice / noodles and a stir-fried vegetable.
 marsbar 20 Jan 2014

My advice would be to get rid of the tofu! Sorry.

You could try chick peas and sesame seeds as an alternative. Maybe just a few peanuts or cashew nuts as well.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014

A classic marinade is soy sauce with ginger and garlic. Press the tofu between kitchen towels and a few plates first to push out some of the water.

If you can get some of this stuff it's really good. Doesn't need anything done to it: https://taifun-tofu.de/en/produkte/taifun_tofu_produkte.php?NID1=3&NID2...

gd303uk 20 Jan 2014

Scrambled tofu instead of eggs is working for the odd day I want a big breakfast ,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...