UKC

Have you relocated/emigrated for your hobby (climbing)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Camm 20 Jan 2014
So at the moment I live a hour away from the peak in Nottingham. I'm 22 and live at home, have a decent job, the job and the roof is the only thing I'm still here for (well and family but I don't have kids or a Mrs). I can live with traveling an hour to climb for the day but I'd love to be able to wake up in the morning and go for a run in the hills, not the only reason though lol. I'm thinking of learning a trade and starting up in somewhere like Sheffield and then living in Eastern Peak. Is there many that have done this? Any success or failure storeys?

deacondeacon 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I moved up here (to Sheffield) about three years ago and never looked back. We lived in South London which my wife, then Girlfriend, hated and when an oppurtunity arose to move we grabbed it with both arms.
There has never been any regrets, and even though we have both been working full time life still does seem much sweeter here. I have a mate who moved here at a similar time to me and we still joke that we're on one long holiday.
We also have many friends who have moved to the area for the climbing, and I'm yet to meet anyone who has ended up going home with their tail between their legs.

I'd also consider living within Sheffield, particularly the south-west of town as it will have much better amenities, as well as more affordable housing. Burbage can still be reached in 6-7 minutes.
Good luck
 GridNorth 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Not specifically but I once refused a promotion because it would have involved the family moving from Sheffield to Harlow in Essex. That didn't do a lot for my prospects in the company and I ended up moving to the South West not long afterwards.
 JohnnyW 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I moved my family lock stock and barrel to Scotland 16 years ago, and have never regretted it.

Munros, huge rock routes, proper wild walking, and winter climbing par excellence, all within easy driving distance. That, and the better air and less people, what's not to like?
 john arran 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I moved to Sheffield twice to do college courses there rather than anywhere else in the UK - and ended up living there for 20 years.
Then I moved to Ariège.

So, yes.
 StephenS 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I'm in a similar predicament. Currently living in Liverpool with 2 great indoor climbing venues nearby.

Missus wants to move to save her some commute time to Stockport, and closer to her parents (Stoke)

I'd like to move as well but stuck for ideas of where to move to. Thinking Cheshire, Staffordshire but would be a pain to lose the benefits of the indoor walls.
 LastBoyScout 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Only for University - I purposely picked Nottingham, as it was closer to the Peak District and I preferred it to Sheffield.
 Clarence 20 Jan 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I chose Sheffield because I was already living too close to Nottingham and would have had to stay at home. I was considering Manchester but a college friend who was a year older had been stabbed and robbed at a cashpoint in his first year at UMIST. My only other consideration was Lancaster for the Lake District but I went to see the campus and hated it.
 LastBoyScout 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Clarence:

Considered UMIST, as they had a really good course, but didn't like the area.

Friend of mine is now a lecturer at Lancaster.
 Clarence 20 Jan 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

My girlfriend at the time went to Lancaster and loved it but she had a car so it wasn't quite as remote for her. When I went for a couple of days there was no bus service and you had to rely on hitchhiking to get to and from town, or walk along the roadside. I loved Sheffield because I could head off to any one of the classic edges in about a half hour bus ride from Pond Street.
 Neil Williams 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Clarence:
There's a bus every few minutes between Lancaster Uni and the city, no?

Neil
Post edited at 16:30
 Tom Last 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Kind of. Moved to Cornwall to be near the moors and sea cliffs. I am, but I still have to work of course.

No regrets, mind you I was in Hertfordshire previously, so regrets would be unlikely!
 Clarence 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> There's a bus every few minutes between Lancaster Uni and the city, no?

> Neil

Probably now but in the eighties there wasn't.
In reply to Clarence:

Ah, fair enough. It wasn't so big back then.

Neil
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Well I sort of did, but really it was the weather and the cheaper cost of living that attracted me, sadly now the distance from family and friends seems to have made it a bad idea. It is not so easy as you'd think to undo.
 Jonny2vests 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Three moves so far (and many others considered) because of climbing. I moved to Nottingham which was the best fit I could manage at the time for climbing and work. Then Sheffield, there are few cities in the world that blessed and that close to rock. Now Squamish and Vancouver.
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

I think Sheffield is the best city in the world for a climber to live. It's ok pooing that until you have lived somewhere else for long enough to realise just how good Sheffield is.
OP Camm 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:
Wow, some inspiring storys! I've heard of a few people picking a uni close to rock, Bangor would have been my choice if I were to have gone. The main thing really is finding a job, did most of you look for the same job different location, or did you re-train/look for anything? I guess I could move to Sheffield eventually while doing my current job and live back at home on work nights... untill I find a job, rather than buy a house here, then have to sell.
In reply to danrock101:

Or climb at a wall on the evenings, and drive to the Peaks (assuming you have a car, train also an option from where you are) on those weekends when you want to climb. You've got 2 good walls in Nottingham, I like the one that's a converted swimming baths!

Also don't underestimate the cost of living away from your parents and how that might limit your saving for a house deposit.

Neil
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2014

> Or climb at a wall on the evenings, and drive to the Peaks

Grrrrrrrr, The Peak
OP Camm 20 Jan 2014
Sound advise, I do have a car, I would buy rather than rent. I'm on direct debit at the old pool wall, Nottingham Climbing Centre. Good wall! I just can't get the urgr to move out of me.
 TobyA 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Then Sheffield, there are few cities in the world that blessed and that close to rock.

Plenty of places with climbing in the city - is there any in Sheffield? I know its not far out to the edges, but you still have to leave town. Helsinki for instance has dozens of bouldering place within the city, and it's hardly known as a 'climbing city'. Stockholm has more bouldering and more urban roped climbing than that.

Anyway, OP - I picked my first university mainly because I wanted to be close to the mountains, hence went to Glasgow. It was a really good decision.
In reply to danrock101:

I split up with my fiance 8 months ago and four days later I left Northamptonshire for a new life in Snowdonia. I always said that if we ever parted I would move to Wales and when it happened I lost no time at all in finding a job and getting the hell out of there.

8 months on and I'm opening my own photographic gallery on Saturday, climbing and mountains within walking distance and (apart from the rain) an amazing lifestyle...can't imagine living anywhere else now!
 Clarkey77 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

The Boardroom just outside Chester is an excellent wall, and I have heard rumours that there is a bouldering place opening on the Wirral soon too.

I have lived in Chester for a few years and its great for climbing; now the boardroom has opened there is an indoor wall; Helsby is under 30 minutes away (or much less, depends which side of Chester you are on) for weekday evenings in the summer or a quick route on a saturday morning; you've got Clwydian limestone 45 minutes away with Sport climbing and accessible single pitch trad, and you can be most places in Snowdonia or the Peak in under two hours. The Lakes is just about doable for the day, and I have done Scotland for the weekend, although three days is better.
 gribble 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I resigned from my job in Northampton, thought for about a week then moved stright up to Sheffield. I've moved around all my life, and this was by far and away the best move. No regrets whatsoever, and still here after 12 years with no intention of moving anywhere else. I think I would miss all the Sheffield has to offer too much. That's some commitment from a habitual nomad!
 Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

We did three-year stints in Bristol and Cape Town, both picked at least partly because of the climbing. Just the climbing might not have been enough if the course/job hadn't been good too but certainly we chose Cape Town as more interesting in every way than the conventional post-doc destinations which were probably the safer career options.

Now we live in the Peak which was a deliberate choice given suitable job options at the time. Now I work from home or travel internationally, so it could be anywhere within striking distance of a decent airport. Certainly I don't intend to ever live anywhere more than an hour from some decent climbing if I can possibly help it.

crisp 20 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Currently living in NE Italy, it is brilliant.
In reply to danrock101:
I lived in Sheffield for 26 years, and totally took it for granted. Then lived in Lincolnshire for a year (enough said). Living in Coedpoeth near Wrexham until the end of the month. It's been great being near Snowdonia, local limestone and sandstone isn't great, but the opening of the Boardroom has made up for a lot.
Anyway, moving back to Shef in February and buying near Curbar, can't wait! I will never ever take the crags and the walls for granted again! We drove across to Shef last Saturday to go to the Foundry!
Renewing the ClimbingWorks membership and out on grit after work if it ever stops raining. No other city comes close!
 keith sanders 22 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I was brought up in Barnsley climbed in the peak and yorkshire for 37 years then moved to the Lakes, now moving back to Barnsley for a few months and looking forwad to it so to re-kindell some past glories.
keith s
 Jonny2vests 22 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> Plenty of places with climbing in the city - is there any in Sheffield? I know its not far out to the edges, but you still have to leave town. Helsinki for instance has dozens of bouldering place within the city, and it's hardly known as a 'climbing city'. Stockholm has more bouldering and more urban roped climbing than that.

Not climbed in Helsinki, but there are British cities with climbing in the city or course. But its not just about distance is it? You need quantity and quality (not to mention an amenable environment, doesn't it rain a lot in Helsinki?), how does Helsinki measure up in those terms? And there's a very positive climbing vibe to Sheffield as well, (a vibe which is certainly absent here in Vancouver).

Of course it depends on what you like to do, but if its mainly cragging and bouldering, I haven't yet been to any reasonably sized city better off than Sheffield.
Post edited at 17:54
In reply to TobyA:

> Plenty of places with climbing in the city - is there any in Sheffield?
Bell Hagg is pretty well suburban, and Burbage Valley is inside the city boundary and the responsibility of the Parks Department I think. I've got a Geelong Agden might be inside too

Ridge 22 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Moved to Cumbria from West Yorks about 6 years ago. Never regretted doing it, we're a bit out in the sticks so need to travel for entertainment, but the quality of life is much better. Down near Wakefield at rthe moment, and driving south on the M1 makes you realise how bad commuting used to be.
 RockAngel 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Stockport has awesome walls and rope race for indoor climbing as well as easy access/time to get to the crags around here
 Jon Stewart 22 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Not so much a relocation in order to climb, but being somewhere with evening climbing is a big priority for me. I chose the university I'm training at and the placement/job I'm going into to be in good climbing locations.

West Yorkshire is damn good for climbing btw, and possibly better for employment prospects? Massive urban area including Leeds, and loads of the towns are near lots of great evening crags. I lived in Saltaire (nr Bradford) and had bouldering and (crap) routes in walking distance, albeit in a rather urban setting (but The Glen is truly magnificent, unlike the quarry which is Baildon Bank, if you catch my drift). 20-30mins in the car and I was at Ilkley, Almscliff, Caley, Earl etc. An hour to Malham. 2h to the Lakes, 3h to Gogarth. Awesome. Sheffield is great for grit routes (the routes up on Yorkshire grit are crap in comparison), West Yorks is great for bouldering, sport and day trips to the Lakes. Quite possibly a better climbing spot overall (but not if you're into grit routes).
 HP 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It doesn't always go well. Mick Fowler is famous for big adventures uk-wide all based in London. In his book vertical pleasure he talks about how he moved to sheffield for a while. He motivation fell, he didn't do much climbing, he moved back to London.
 TobyA 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> doesn't it rain a lot in Helsinki?),

Probably less that most UK cities. Winters are colder obviously although the hardcore boulderers seem to take a perverse pleasure in starting the new 'season' when there's still a good two month of ice climbing season left if you ask me!

> And there's a very positive climbing vibe to Sheffield as well, (a vibe which is certainly absent here in Vancouver).

I virtually never go to climbing walls, but my friend who is now back in England says he reckons that Helsinki must have some of the best indoor climbing in Europe after Sheffield. It's taken off in a massive way, so particularly the bouldering scene is mega enthusiastic. There are two dedicated bouldering centres now - and one is either bigger than the Works or second in Europe after the Works (something like that anyway) plus then more bouldering areas at the various roped walls.

Lots of the bouldering is brilliant, but there is a lot of random lumps of rock around http://27crags.com/areas/14 But then, like I said, that's nowt compared to Stockholm! http://27crags.com/areas/315 It's just silly how much rock the Swedes have.

Jon Stewart 22 Jan 2014
In reply to HP:

> ...[Mick Fowler] didn't do much climbing, he moved back to London.

I suspect he's unusual. He's a bigwig in the civil service, presumably his very Londoncentric job is quite important to him and evening pottering on grit less so? After all, that's not really Fowler's known for...

The people I know that moved to Sheffield from London like Deacon, above, plus 5 or so others I can think of have not looked back. If you prioritise climbing above cultural stuff and job opportunities, you'd be mental to choose London over somewhere like Sheffield, West Yorks, etc.
 Bulls Crack 23 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Not consciously but I've always lived in places since leaving Brum that are close to cliffs! I think Dave Macleod advocated giving up you current employ and moving closer to rock to avoid trying to err 'leverage' small gains from training....not the most achievable advice he's given for many
 Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I think Dave Macleod advocated giving up you current employ and moving closer to rock to avoid trying to err 'leverage' small gains from training....not the most achievable advice he's given for many

Perhaps not, but it might still be true. I know that if I wanted to climb harder I'd have to rejig my priorities, I'm not going to do it by going on nice trips in the summer, doing a bit of bouldering after work in spring, and climbing down the wall when I can be arsed.
 John Workman 23 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

Born in Cumberland - OK Cumbria as it is now. Fell in love with mountains there. Then Scotland - especially winter.
Been climbing, ski-ing for around 50 years. Moved to Fort William 30 years ago. Best move I ever made.

Didn't quite realise at the time but I've rather followed a philospgy as given by - was it Cassin ? - whenever I came to a crossroads in my life, I always followed the path that lead to the mountains.
Worked for me.
 malky_c 23 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

I haven't climbed for a few years now, but I moved to Inverness 8 years ago to be closer to the best bits of the Highlands. Seems to have worked well...

Prior to that, I had chosen Dundee to go to university in as it was pretty handy for the highlands. Then again, I grew up on the edge of Snowdonia, so I wasn't exactly far from the hills in the first place. Scotland is that bit emptier and more wild and rugged though.
 Trevers 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

> I split up with my fiance 8 months ago and four days later I left Northamptonshire for a new life in Snowdonia. I always said that if we ever parted I would move to Wales and when it happened I lost no time at all in finding a job and getting the hell out of there.

> 8 months on and I'm opening my own photographic gallery on Saturday, climbing and mountains within walking distance and (apart from the rain) an amazing lifestyle...can't imagine living anywhere else now!

Nick, where is your gallery going to open? I love your photos, wouldn't mind coming in for a browse on a rainy day.

I just interviewed in Bangor (currently living in Herts/working in London). I don't desperately have to live in Snowdonia but somewhere away from London's influence would be a breath of fresh air, local climbing and scenery a big bonus.
 Kimono 25 Jan 2014
In reply to danrock101:

not climbing but when i was invited to come and work in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, which is one of the worlds top kite surf venues, then it took me, ooh, about 3 seconds to accept!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...