UKC

Mitsubishi Warrior

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James Jackson 24 Jan 2014
I'll soon be in the market for a new (to me) car, and I'm pretty sold on the Mitsubishi Warrior pickup. In particular, I'm looking at one with a closed back, and double-cab.

Looks like around £8000 will get me something in the 06-07 bracket in decent condition, with around 80k miles on the clock.

A question to the assembled car-savvy masses: Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for when buying?

Many thanks!
 GridNorth 24 Jan 2014
In reply to James Jackson:

A cowboy in a Stetson and spurs?
In reply to GridNorth:

I think that's what I have to wear.
 Ban1 24 Jan 2014

I used to own a mitsibishi strada(don't exist anymore) which I sold before I went travelling and I miss it everyday

just great vehicals but mine had a standard fitted compass/degree finder and altimeter,beat that
 Cadairmanuk 24 Jan 2014

I had a shogun sport warrior few years ago. It was aweful drank fuel and had a terrible turning circle. It looked cool that's about it. It was reliable although I only had it a year.

Ben
 Ban1 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

agreed i only got 300mile per tank, which was 100quid 2 years ago

but was cool as f**k
 MagnusL 24 Jan 2014

Not great on fuel but nice to drive. Slightly odd seating position, your legs are pretty horizontal but I found it fine. I used to drive an 05 one back in my thatching days. The only things that went wrong with it were due to towing extremely heavy trailers with it all the time i.e. clutch, rear suspension links etc.

Unfortunately it got tired one day and spat a con-rod out through the side of the block

In fact it's been sat in my mate's yard ever since so if you fancy finding a new engine I'm sure it's for sale for £bugger-all
 MagnusL 24 Jan 2014

... and I'm sure you can find a diesel mechanic at your work to fit it
 Alyson 24 Jan 2014

> Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for when buying?

Yes, please look for a black one with damage to the driver's side front wing. Involved in an accident last week in the Ipswich area but drove off, leaving badly injured people behind. If you see it please let the Suffolk police know! Ta

In reply to MagnusL:

Eh up! Thanks - horizontal legs shouldn't be a problem given my lanky status. Fuel not really a drama either due to being in Deutschland.

Fancy some climbing in March?
In reply to Alyson:

> Yes, please look for a black one with damage to the driver's side front wing. Involved in an accident last week in the Ipswich area but drove off, leaving badly injured people behind. If you see it please let the Suffolk police know! Ta

F*ckers. Guessing nobody got the registration?
 Alyson 24 Jan 2014

Nope Plenty of witnesses but unfortunately no one got it. Keep your eyes peeled Suffolkers!
 RichardP 24 Jan 2014
Hi James,
06-07 was the year that they changed the shape of the L200 (that is the model for the pick-up)
I Drive an 07 L200 Animal (Old shape)

on the old shape there are three models, Trojan, Warrior and Animal

As someone else has already stated it's about £90ish to fill the tank but if you drive the speed limit you can stretch that tank to 400 mile range.
However if you put you foot down it'll cost you.
Last year a group of us went to Arran. From home to the Ardrossan Harbour, it's 237 miles but as there was an car fire on the motorway I needed to put my foot down to get the ferry. That was a tank of fuel!!!

I understand that the new shape L200 has a 6 gear gearbox and as a result it is more economical to run

The L200 or pick-up does look cool, however it is not a car. it is a commercial vehicle, as a result I do not have coverage of 3rd party cover driving someone else's vehicle. Until last year the best cost coverage I had was via A-Plan Insurance which seemed to get me better cost coverage. last year when I was no-longer self employed Zenith Insurance gave me a more competitive insurance.

If you do get one, you might want to keep an eye on this forum http://www.l200.org.uk/

cuppatea 24 Jan 2014

If it's a commercial, and you're planning on going anywhere near Lardan check to see if it's effected by the low emmions robbery tax

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx
In reply to cuppatea:

Thankfully, I rarely drive in LAAAAANDON, but thanks for the heads-up.

RichardP:

I thought that was the case with the shape change. Are the old ones the ones with the obvious vent on the bonnet, or were there further changes? I'm looking at the new ones without that vent...

RichardP 24 Jan 2014

> Thankfully, I rarely drive in LAAAAANDON, but thanks for the heads-up.

I think the emissions thing is only for lorries and not small commercial

> RichardP:

> I thought that was the case with the shape change. Are the old ones the ones with the obvious vent on the bonnet, or were there further changes? I'm looking at the new ones without that vent...

Yes the vent in the middle of the bonnet is the old shape

I don't know the other changes but if you go onto the forum Posted earlier, they would tell you the differences
In reply to RichardP:

Thanks - just checking I hadn't missed another sub-model. Thanks for the info - will pay the forum a visit.
 cuppatea 24 Jan 2014
In reply to RichardP:

Some land rovers are affected. I've read of cases where charities who owned minibuses where being clobbered as well.
 mp3ferret 24 Jan 2014

I've not owned one - but my dad did (L200 trojan) and he was always banging on about the service intervals being very low. Not sure if its engine specific. But really nice to drive and pretty much bomb proof.
 RichardP 24 Jan 2014
In reply to cuppatea:

> Some land rovers are affected. I've read of cases where charities who owned minibuses where being clobbered as well.

I wasn't aware of that.
I worked on the Westfield shopping center in stratford a couple of years ago,
I didn't have any grief about emissions charges
 RichardP 24 Jan 2014
In reply to mp3ferret:

> I've not owned one - but my dad did (L200 trojan) and he was always banging on about the service intervals being very low. Not sure if its engine specific. But really nice to drive and pretty much bomb proof.

hmmm

a couple of months after the warranty ran out the turbo went.
2 years later the head gasket went

each one of those cost be over £1000
 cuppatea 24 Jan 2014
In reply to RichardP:

It sees to be a lottery in my experience depending on vehicle age and co2 emissions.
A Td5 engined hardtop (van) Defender isn't compliant as it's a light goods vehicle but the same (broadly speaking) engine in a Discovery is fine.
 gunbo 24 Jan 2014

Listen for a whine/grind/mrumble from 4x4 transmission when going 2 too 4 wheel drive and vice versa. Good check over chassis forb rust and scabs they rust quick make sure its solid espicially round top suspension arms on the front check the gap between cab and body gaps same side to side and top to bottom if they are out check chassis for kinks ripples its suprising how many ive seen with overloaded chassis that have bent
In reply to gunbo:

Awesome, thanks!
Removed User 24 Jan 2014

We have three at work, they get used off road a lot and not always by people who know how to drive off road. Apart from the odd broken spring they are no significant problems. The first one we bought developed a fuelling problem which we never got to the bottom of but the service records showed it had only been serviced twice in its first 40k miles.

Probably not quite as good as a Hilux, but more than good enough, and pretty good to drive too. We will buy more as we need them. I'd have also thought that you would get a lower mileage than 80k at your price.
James Jackson 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks - that price range seems to yield about 60-70k.
 RichardP 25 Jan 2014
In reply to cuppatea:
> It sees to be a lottery in my experience depending on vehicle age and co2 emissions.

> A Td5 engined hardtop (van) Defender isn't compliant as it's a light goods vehicle but the same (broadly speaking) engine in a Discovery is fine.

I put my licence number into the website and my animal is compliant.
I suppose the thing to do if in doubt, is to check the licence plate on the website before buying the vehicle
Post edited at 19:53
 Wullie 26 Jan 2014

Get a nissan navara. Much nicer/faster to drive in real world conditions.(i.e you ain't a farmer) Warriors are pish!
James Jackson 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Wullie:

> Get a nissan navara. Much nicer/faster to drive in real world conditions.(i.e you ain't a farmer) Warriors are pish!

One of the reasons for getting it is to be useful on the farm, and the stables at work...
 timjones 27 Jan 2014

> One of the reasons for getting it is to be useful on the farm, and the stables at work...

The problem is.....

you'll discover that people find urgent work elsewhere the second you turn into their drive. "Posh pickups" do tend to make you look like your out to "tarmac your drive or paint your roof mate?"
In reply to timjones:

That's a bonus. I'm an antisocial creature.
 JohnnyW 27 Jan 2014

I used to have a L200 old style, and my pal and ex-employer runs 3 of the newer versions.

Take all the crappy chrome trim off them, put some decent tyres on them, and both look the dogs as working machines, and are more than capable. the Hilux has better clearance, and a serious old engine in the larger versions, and the Navarra some serious power, but overall, I prefer the L200.

I used to tow large Ivors with a couple of ton on them off road (I know, I know), and the Mitsi coped no problem. The tyre make the difference in snow and mud, and although they're a bit noisier, don't wear badly if you do only a reasonable amount of main road work. They do up the consumption a bit though, but it's worth it if you are working it.

I had a spring go - tends to happen if you drive quick over rough ground without a load a lot. Loaded, the springs cope better.

The main difference with the newer engines is the switchable rather than manual box, with an auto setting. I have that on my XTrail now, as I moved into the town (Stirling), but for on the hills, in proper weather and snow etc, at least the manual is either on or off, and you know as it were.

I would have one again if we moved back into the hills.....
 woolsack 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Wullie:

> Get a nissan navara. Much nicer/faster to drive in real world conditions.(i.e you ain't a farmer) Warriors are pish!

Navaras of that similar age with the D22 engine have a terrible reputation for putting rods out through the block, just Google Nissan Navarra engine problem!

In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks Johnny. I'll be putting better all-weather tyres on anyway as I'm often snow-bound. All sounds good!
 MagnusL 27 Jan 2014

> Fancy some climbing in March?

Aye, very possibly. Let me know when you're back.
In reply to MagnusL:

Will be back in the land of cider for all of March...
 Wullie 27 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I had an 06 D40 Navara for nearly seven years. Few silly electric problems while still under warranty. That's all though. 70000 miles done carrying a variety of joiners tools and materials. Seriously torquey engine. Decent on fuel for size, average fuel economy about 35mpg. Only sold it due to new dog purchase, hatchback suits us better now.
James Jackson 03 Feb 2014

A spanner in the works... I've been offered a low-milage 2011 Ford Ranger Thunder at an exceptional price (and I know the car is kosher). Anybody got experience with them?
 CrushUnit 03 Feb 2014

I drive both as plant vehicles and prefer the ride of the ranger, can't comment more than that though.
 RichardP 03 Feb 2014

> A spanner in the works... I've been offered a low-milage 2011 Ford Ranger Thunder at an exceptional price (and I know the car is kosher). Anybody got experience with them?

A cowboy builder (thats another story) had one. He thought it was ok, but you pays our money and takes your chances

Richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...