UKC

Creating a document for publication, online.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
I have taken on a role to produce a 4/5 page flier which will contain photos/script/adverts. I'm not that savvy with a computer, and don't have word etc installed. Is there any free software that I can download which will let me make up such a flier, print it off, and also circulate by email? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
 Doug 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

If you don't have Word, try Open Office which is free & will let you save the final document as a PDF which you can print or send easily as email
OP Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

Thanks.
OP Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

I tried open office and ended up installing I mesh if that makes sense?!
OP Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

Got there now. Looking good so far.
OP Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

I've created a document using open office. I've saved it, transferred it to a usb stick, but then it says it can't do anything with it unless I purchase Microsoft word.....
 Doug 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

what says you need MS Word ? Are you sure you downloaded Open Office ? - its free & has nothing to do with Microsoft
OP Phil1919 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

I just tried it again. it certainly looks like open office. However when I try and put it on the stick and then open it up again, Microsoft appears to muscle in and say that it is an unlicensed file and I can't work on it.
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

It sounds like you might have created it in Open Office and saved it as "readable by MS Word" - I used Open Office a few times as a "test" a few years back and dimly recall this option - I never had any issues but then I had MS Word on my PC at the time as well anyway.

It's just an idle thought / suggestion / speculative guess.

If you take that USB stick to someone who has MS Word you might be able to open it. In the meantime you may be a bit stuck, but at least check the save options in Open Office.
 DaveN 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
Have you tried:

Right click on it an pick "open with" and pick open office.

Or use the open menu within open office
OP Phil1919 26 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveN:

Thanks both for ideas. Dave, your right click option worked. I can now open it up on the stick and it looks the same as when I made it. It won't let me alter it though. Is this normal? Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...