UKC

Lots of new members don't have profiles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 26 Jan 2014
No photos, no details.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

Good!
Lusk 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

I deleted any internet profiles a while back because I was turning into 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' after a couple of too many beers.
OP aln 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I want a photo at least. Even if it isn't really them.
 Edradour 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

I've never understood the opposition to not having a profile. Since there is no way of verifying the information, I don't see how it can make any difference.
 tlm 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

> I want a photo at least. Even if it isn't really them.

Here you go then...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XnNOk0zp4cA/UX4vmqaeDiI/AAAAAAAAAHU/B66i_CwLXHI/s...

In reply to aln:

> I want a photo at least. Even if it isn't really them.

What satisfaction would that bring you?
 stoneback 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

I understand people not wanting info about themselves all over the internet, although that horse has well and truly bolted for most people! However, I would not personally arrange to climb with someone through Lifts and Partners if they had no profile. I don't need a photo, as whether someone has a beard or not doesn't alter how they belay, but seeing how often, and at what grade someone climbs is important to me. Having a feel for someone's personality is a bonus in this instance too.
Antigua 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stoneback:

As dating websites have found peoples profiles and reality don't necessarily have anything in common.
 stoneback 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua:

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure the two compare. I don't think people falsely fill in climbing logs do they? No one I've ever climbed with does, save the odd incorrect entry regarding style. If someone's best on site is e1 and I can see they generally lead at vs/ hvs on their log and they are looking for a partner to climb with around those grades then I'm comfortable arranging a trip.
Antigua 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stoneback:

I'd see a climbing log more as a C.V so prone to inflation rather than out and out lying but then again I only climb with people I know.
OP aln 26 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

He looks deep. Man.
 Nic DW 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

"aln
Grumpy old man."

OP aln 26 Jan 2014

> What satisfaction would that bring you?

It gives me more of a feeling of replying to a real person. I suppose it changes over time. A persons postings build a picture of their online personality eventually and that gives me something to relate to. A mugshot isn't strictly necessary, you don't have one (why not?) but through your posts and replies, and one time you kindly gave me info via PM, I see you as a person I can relate to in some way. You also have photos, a logbook etc.
When people post without any profile, especially on maybe controversial subjects, it makes me wary.
 3 Names 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stoneback:

> I don't think people falsely fill in climbing logs do they?

They bloody well do.

tlm 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stoneback:

heh - someone off this site married me without me having a profile! Can''t you tell anything about a person from the quality of the rubbish that they post?
 tlm 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stoneback:

When I've arranged to climb with people off here, I've just said in the post what sort of grades I'm happy to climb... there isn't exactly much point in not being honest about it when you are arranging to meet up, is there?
 Tall Clare 26 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

That sounds almost as if he'd married you as a mail-order bride!

I do think that having a posting history is probably the most useful thing in getting a sense of what people are like.
OP aln 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Edradour:

> I've never understood the opposition to not having a profile. Since there is no way of verifying the information, I don't see how it can make any difference.

I'm not that bothered about no profile. Just pointing out there seems to be a trend towards it amongst new posters. Wondering why.
 Graham Mck 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

Is it really a new trend? Lots of old members don't have profiles.
 tlm 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> That sounds almost as if he'd married you as a mail-order bride!

I was very cheap....
 tlm 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Graham Mck:

shhhh.... I was pretending to be young...
OP aln 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Graham Mck:

> Is it really a new trend? Lots of old members don't have profiles.

You may be correct. Not sure.
OP aln 26 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

You're cheap and you don't mind old members?
 Duncan Bourne 26 Jan 2014
In reply to aln:

It may be old but it is in perfect working order
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Usual blemishes and stains to be expected in a model of this age?
 Duncan Bourne 26 Jan 2014

shush don't mention the stains.
I told her it was taramasalata
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Does it make unexplained whining noises?
OP aln 26 Jan 2014

> Does it make unexplained whining noises?

It tastes saltier than the last one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...