UKC

V3k and sky running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 clarky 28 Jan 2014

Looking to enter the V3k and very excited that sky running has come to the uk. Does anyone know what the race is like and what expected finish times may be? have tried to find them on the event website but haven't managed to find any results.
http://skyrunninguk.com/calendar/uk-calendar-2014/
Post edited at 12:20
 Banned User 77 28 Jan 2014
In reply to clarky:

well the record is 4:19 or so

So a fit fell runner would be sub 5.. not paced.. guided like CD was. I'd be amazed if sub 4:30 went on the day.

A fairly fit one sub 6. I've done 8 with a mate who was not bad but little fell experience..

Its roughly 1 hour Snowdon summit > nant.. Nant > Ogwen is 2.5 then 2.5 to the finish as a rough estimate in splits.

Underfoot? bloody exposed early on. Do not go off fast.. take it easy don't worry about time the race starts later on.. a long descent to nant... quick road then up elidir.. then decent running until llyn y cwn.. steep climb to the glyders, rough rocky traverse of those 2.. steep descent to bwlch tryfan... brutal.. climb/scramble S ridge tryfan.. then a hell of a descent down the west face of tryfan.. down to ogwen.. then a really steep walk up PyOW.. and from the top just good running, lots of good lines out to the Foel Fras.. Carneddau is worth a recce.. or wear a altimeter if in cloud for the traverse.
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2014
In reply to clarky:

It's just ultra distance mountain running with a fancy name isn't it? What does it offer over the dozens of similar events run through the FRA, LDWA etc?
OP clarky 28 Jan 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I Imagine the competition should be pretty strong. Think a recce may be in order, would make for a good training weekend. Do you know ok any plans to mark the course in the style of the European races?
 Banned User 77 28 Jan 2014
In reply to clarky:

it has to be marked by sky running rules, but I've heard mention of still needing nav skills.. alsi unsure if better lines are allowed..

not sure re competition, be interesting who goes for it..

nick, basically jazzes them up, but ultra distance marked mountain routes are new.. OCT etc are very much fell racing.
In reply to clarky:
I did it last year-google Welsh Vegan 3000s. The organisation was a little hit and miss, they'll need to put a bit of work in to get it up to scratch (missing drop bags,no comms from remote checkpoints) and there were only a couple of dozen runners. Very friendly team though, and a great atmosphere. It takes you from the Gwynant valley, over Snowdon to the Pass, Elidir Fawr and the Glyders, over Tryfan then up Pen yr Ole Wen into the Carneddau. It's the route that walkers use. The winning time for the race was 8:45 last year but it'll be done quicker if it's a 'Skyrunning' race.

Quite how sky running differs from ultra running in the UK I don't know; personally I think it's just another example of trying to attach a brand to what it essentially a very long fell race and rake in a bit of extra cash. Events like that attract a very mixed ability level (I'm a fairly average runner and finished halfway up the pack) and I think trying to attract a more 'elite' level participant does little for pushing athletic standards amongst competitors, rather it becomes an 'us and them' split between sponsored wads and the rest of the field. I can see how the Skyrunning formula works in Europe, but for a country that already has a well established ultra-running and mountain marathon culture, as well as fell racing, I can't see that Skyrunning is anything more than a slightly cynical attempt to show case a load of flash kit (some of it on the fast runners) and will result in those races that form part of the series losing their character as they mould to fit Skyrunning's format. Mountain races in the UK all seem to have their own individual flavour and I'd hate to see that lost for the sake of it. We as runners have little or nothing to gain that I can see from running a 'Skyrunning' event but a lot to lose in terms of unique experiences (and money).

The V3K cost £20 last year, with plenty of support at aid stations and a free meal afterwards. I very much doubt it'll be less than double that this year. Don't let my ranting put you off though, it's a great route, and the plus point as I saw it in my oxygen starved slog into Rowen was that now I'd done all the 3Kers I never had to do them again! We missed Crib Goch due to bad weather though so I'll have to get up there again at some point…..

Iain, it's not the route that CD took-he started at Snowdon and finished on Foel Fras whereas this route doesn't. His time is ridiculous!
Post edited at 09:45
 Banned User 77 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Days on Rock:
Ian told me that was the route? So its not peak to peak?

It is basically sexed up. But I don't think it will threaten fell running. It'll attract a different group in addition to fell runners.

Ultra running is now all sponsorship, compression gear and sunglasses.. that's what this is after.

The other big issue is if they have permission. I suspect they don't, the NT are very reluctant to give access to races causes some lakes races to finish.. and when it was small it could get away with it.

The recent rat race on Snowdon caused a big issue locally as the organisers never sought permission to run on peoples land and made a lot of money.
Post edited at 14:26
In reply to IainRUK

No it's the same route as last year, and I'm assuming it's because it needs to be an ultra to count and because summit to summit would be a logistical nightmare.

I don't want to sound elitist; I think it's great that ultra running is becoming more accessible. But what seems a shame is to market big ultra events in the same way as all the 'beast challenge/hell runner/obstacle racing/extreme ironing cack to sell more stuff
to people. All you end up with is more litter, more erosion, more people getting lost becUse courses aren't always marked; what you don't end up with is more runners who are self sufficient, have an understanding of the hills and give something back. No-one should ever be made to feel unwelcome in the hills, and fell running in particular is such a welcoming sport. What I would hate to see is a schism between 'real runners' and those who don't feel
capable to run in the mountains outside of an event. Race organisers should take a more corporate-social-responsibility stance and prepare competitors better for the responsibilities they need to shoulder to be considerate hill users.

Banned User 77 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Days on Rock:

I think it'll stay very much a sport for all,it has to, that's where the money is... in Europe it hasn't led to those issues tbf, from what I've seen. I'm more concerned by the rat race things than this. Those organisers are very env. aware (vegans) so I think it should be OK.. I do have concerns about the route but its much better it starts lower down.

OP clarky 30 Jan 2014
I think that the main reason having sky running in the UK is exciting is that it (hopefully) will encourage athletes from Europe to come over to the UK and race. Therefore showcasing what the mountains and race scene we have to offer. Its like getting climbers over to climb on grit!

Banned User 77 30 Jan 2014
In reply to clarky:

I'm not sure that will happen.. in the alps they drive race to race.. 50 euros in petrol.. to get here its a flight, then car hire.. or transport issues..

Quite a few did the Ben race one year, we'll get some for sure, but the races on the European scene are so much closer together and cheaper to get to.

I also don't think we have the same ethos of elite athlete packages; transport, free entry, accommodation.. even appearance fees. The top guys are full time and expect that support.
In reply to IainRUK:

Skyrunning in mainland Europe seems like an extension of the sky mountaineering scene (Kilian Jornet being a prime example of someone who crosses over with a lot of success!). Over here ultras in the hills are kind of like long fell runs; much more grass routes. Those down south on canal paths etc seem like a good alternative to road marathons; I can't see KJ doing something like the Centurion Way 100 or similar. I can't see people buying into the Skyrunning brand over here in a similar way, as we already have so many ways to enjoy that kind of event, like fell races, mountain marathons, the existing ultra scene and LDWA events that don't have the same kind of fees attached, or if they do, like mountain marathons, require more experience and cater for a different market.

I'd love to see increased participation in grass roots events; we need more U23's at fell races (even U30s) and I don't think that Skyrunning will do that. But don't get me wrong clarky, I'm not trying to widdle on your chips, the V3K is a really great route and I'm so glad I did it as a first ultra. The terrain is amazing, the organisers are fun and you'll have a fantastic day out that'll stick with you forever. it doesn't really matter what banner it comes under; enjoy it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...