UKC

Llanbradach Crag Cleanup 1 Feb- South Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bare_feet 28 Jan 2014
The BMC are holding a crag cleanup day at Llanbradach on Saturday the 1st of Feb. For those who don't know it, Llanbradach is a massive sandstone quarry near Caerphilly. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=731

There are more than 100 lines, mostly bolted including some excellent local classics, but the paths are overgrown and some of the climbs are getting a bit vegetated and grubby. With traffic, Llanbradach could be a mjor local venue once more!

Meet at 10:30 at the quarry entrance.
In reply to bare_feet:

Would you be wanting people to bring "tools" along.Saws ,secateurs,gloves.Just paths or routes so will ab ropes etc be needed. Any regearing so......etc.if so any routes spring to mind???
OP bare_feet 30 Jan 2014
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Yes please! Saws, secauters, gloves, hedge clippers, rubbish bags. I plan to place an old rope on the scramble up to the top tier as well.

I don't have specific routes in mind, but it might be a good opportunity to take a critical look at the bolts and belays and make a list of priorities. Did you have your eye on anything?
 Paul Bowen 30 Jan 2014
In reply to bare_feet:

Hi I don't want to be a kill joy here and appreciate the effort, I'm no stranger to cleaning crags having done a couple of them in my time, but I can only think of perhaps 1 24hr period in the so far 30 days in January when it hasn't rained around here (I'm in Pontypool, drove past Llanbradach yesterday) and know from my own experience that trying to do cleaning stuff when it's wet is sometimes counter productive especially on the rock face (picking litter is different obviously)

the other thing is, you know the six nations rugby starts tomorrow and Wales are playing in Cardiff at 2.30pm which may impact the numbers attending?

Have a good one
 bluesharper 31 Jan 2014
In reply to bare_feet:

I agree with Paul. The weather forecast for tomorrow is not great, to say the least.
I cannot attend tomorrow anyway. But maybe some kind of a follow-up can be organised when the weather improves? I'd be happy to help.
 Ian Parsons 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Paul Bowen:

> the other thing is, you know the six nations rugby starts tomorrow and Wales are playing in Cardiff at 2.30pm

I could be completely wrong about this, but past observation has left me with the impression that such events - rugby, not crag cleanups - have tended to prompt an increased presence of speed camera vehicles on main routes approaching Cardiff, sometimes quite a long way out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...